Nyc Burns, QB Berryhill/Tulsa, OK

TravisUNT

I like his tape.  Not often you see kicking highlights on a quarterback's tape.  I just have a feeling that OSU will give him the scholly if he decides to go somewhere else.  I don't see him going to N. Mexico State but would walk on at OSU first. 

Note:  this is just a gut feeling and is subject to change after lunch. 

Edited by NorthTexan95

12 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I like his tape.  Not often you see kicking highlights on a quarterback's tape.  I just have a feeling that OSU will give him the scholly if he decides to go somewhere else.  I don't see him going to N. Mexico State but would walk on at OSU first. 

Note:  this is just a gut feeling and is subject to change after lunch. 

With the Colorado State QB transfer announced yesterday and them going hard after Wudtee I don't think OSU has any reason to offer him. Apparently New Mexico State was VERY impressed. His dad said he'd commit to UNT. Try him and see. At this point UNT has nothing on the board HS QB wise...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No-brainer.   I know we're recruiting Augie DeBiase from Florida as well... and I guess we still could, but it sounds like Nyc wants to be here (outside of going to OSU).  If you happen to land both DeBiase and Burns, I don't think that would be a terrible thing :Yes:

Umm... Burns is now followed by and following Boise State's Recruiting page and Antwon Murray Boise State director of recruiting. Also UTSA Offensive Grad Assistant. The old UTSA staff were going to offer Nyc before it was blown up.

Edited by TravisUNT
mistype
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No-brainer.   I know we're recruiting Augie DeBiase from Florida as well... and I guess we still could, but it sounds like Nyc wants to be here (outside of going to OSU).  If you happen to land both DeBiase and Burns, I don't think that would be a terrible thing :Yes:

Your post got me thinking about the roster spots presently being taken up by QBs.  Most teams keep 3-4 scholarships QBs on the roster at any given time.  With Greer leaving and Morris coming in, that leaves us with 4, assuming no walk-on QBs are granted scholarships.  I could be wrong, but I don't really see Chumley staying at QB, so we could call it 3.  So is the staff willing to use up 5 of its allotted scholarships on QBs?

And are they comfortable enough with what they have at other positions to use 3 of this class's 25 allotted scholarships toward QB's?

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Your post got me thinking about the roster spots presently being taken up by QBs.  Most teams keep 3-4 scholarships QBs on the roster at any given time.  With Greer leaving and Morris coming in, that leaves us with 4, assuming no walk-on QBs are granted scholarships.  I could be wrong, but I don't really see Chumley staying at QB, so we could call it 3.  So is the staff willing to use up 5 of its allotted scholarships on QBs?

And are they comfortable enough with what they have at other positions to use 3 of this class's 25 allotted scholarships toward QB's?

Well if you think about it, we only really have two actual QB's on scholarship. Those being Morris and DSmith. Unless the almighty QB coach Harrell can turn Means and Chumley into a prolific D1 QB I would send them to another position. I say almighty because if Harrell cant transform them then no one can

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I think with Morris only taking up one year, maybe Littrell would think about it.

8 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Well if you think about it, we only really have two actual QB's on scholarship. Those being Morris and DSmith. Unless the almighty QB coach Harrell can turn Means and Chumley into a prolific D1 QB I would send them to another position. I say almighty because if Harrell cant transform them then no one can

I didn't include Chumley as a QB.

I really hadn't thought about moving Means, but that would change things.  What position would you suggest moving him to?  WR or TE?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

After 2016 we lose Morris and Smith. You eliminate Chumley. That leaves us with Means in 2017 as the only veteran on scholarship (with no in-game experience so far).

We need lots of competition at that position with proper FBS coaching in 2017.

Edited by Aldo

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

After 2016 we lose Morris and Smith. You eliminate Chumley. That leaves us with Means in 2017 as the only veteran on scholarship (with no in-game experience so far).

We need lots of competition at that position with proper FBS coaching in 2017.

Good points by you and MGT.  But that will require us taking eggs out of other baskets.  Are we comfortable with that?

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Good points by you and MGT.  But that will require us taking eggs out of other baskets.  Are we comfortable with that?

Morris is a stopgap, and if we can get a couple commits this year, we can evaluate and see if we need another stopgap next year. Other schools have shown that it is a serviceable trend, but at some point we need to be able to identify and develop talent. Previous regime couldn't do one or the other, which is why we're stuck in this position.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TravisUNT said:

With the Colorado State QB transfer announced yesterday and them going hard after Wudtee I don't think OSU has any reason to offer him. Apparently New Mexico State was VERY impressed. His dad said he'd commit to UNT. Try him and see. At this point UNT has nothing on the board HS QB wise...

If a P5 offers a kid a PWO wouldn't that trigger us to offer a full scholy and red shirt them?

18 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Morris is a stopgap, and if we can get a couple commits this year, we can evaluate and see if we need another stopgap next year. Other schools have shown that it is a serviceable trend, but at some point we need to be able to identify and develop talent. Previous regime couldn't do one or the other, which is why we're stuck in this position.

As of right now, gmg.com shows 9 scholarships out of the class being taken.  None of those are high school D-linemen, O-linemen, DBs, or LBs.  I would think we would want to sign more of each of those than we would HS QBs, considering you need more of them on the field at any given time than you do QBs.  My quick guess for our remaining allotment would be 3 HS D-linemen, 4 O-linemen, 3 DBs, 3 LBs, at least 1 more WR (probably Keenan Johnson), and 1 TE.  To get all of those only leaves one spot for a HS QB.  That's not even considering that we'll probably grab another juco player or two.  To get 2, which position would we take from?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

2 hours ago, TravisUNT said:

Umm... Burns is now followed by and following Boise State's Recruiting page and Antwon Murray Boise State director of recruiting. Also UTSA Offensive Grad Assistant. The old UTSA staff were going to offer Nyc before it was blown up.

And the director of football personnel for Boise. That would mean visit to me and I know the father has said they wont visit without an offer. We'll see....

45 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

And the director of football personnel for Boise. That would mean visit to me and I know the father has said they wont visit without an offer. We'll see....

Boise State has yet to pick up a QB.  All their offers have committed elsewhere.  I could see them looking very seriously at Burns.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Boise State has yet to pick up a QB.  All their offers have committed elsewhere.  I could see them looking very seriously at Burns.

There is a reason we have not offered! His vid doesn't show any short game routes. Outs, slants, touch passes. I am sure Graham put him through the drills! Maybe we have a better option.

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

I wonder if UNT is going to shit or get off the pot?

I'm too the point now I assume they possibly have another option they like better. I just see a  lot of other coaches making home visits, shooting out offers. We aren't makes me wonder. Maybe they are just recruiting kids with no social media