WFAA riding SMU jock

GMG24

all they have talked about is that stupid helicopter and Chad Morris's 5 stops on the night. Can we get Littrell one that engulfs Morris' copter and holds it hostage while Littrell hits all the games? That would be neat! 

• Upvote 1

Oh the entire football world is about to get a personal introduction to Mean Green Football. We are coming Green and White.  Ride the chopper, we are going to fly into a Big 6 Bowl before the pony trots to the promise land. 

GMG 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I say we blow all these other programs out of the water and buy a Chinook for Littrell to ride in on. Nothing says Work horse like a Chinook

Chinook_hc2_za682_arp.jpg

Very true. Though nothing says shoot at me I only fly in straight lines like this ch-46 here. If Littrell is going to go military grade he should adopt the Apache and fill the hellfire missiles and mini guns with fireworks for when he's approaching a stadium. 

Welcome, Or. We know you're just doing your job, but when it comes to smut just do your job less. 

• Upvote 3

YES!!!! 

Hey, guys. I'm a producer at WFAA and proud UNT alum (class of '11). Actually registered yesterday before seeing this post but figured this was the right place for my first post, ha.

We showed a quick cutaway shot of Morris in the stands, then a closing shot of Morris leaving in the helicopter. It was a cool shot - I'm not going to cut that out of the highlights just to soothe my own competitive fire. Believe me, if we had video of Coach Littrell at one of the big games, I would have used it. We cover everyone... we've shown Sumlin and his swagcopter plenty of times because it's objectively cool. That's why kids fall for the gimmick. Morris hit five games friday night. FIVE. You know what that means? Basically that he's not there scouting or actually talking to people, just making a show of force. 'Look, I have a toy.' 

If our staff is getting good reads on the local kids and establishing real relationships with them and their coaches, I'll take our chances. 

Looking forward to many more posts! GMG!

Welcome! I just had to vent! lol Appreciate your efforts.  I know it was a cool shot, and you had to, I just loathe SMU and all of their efforts.  Hopefully Littrell will give you something to put on TV :) 

Hey, guys. I'm a producer at WFAA and proud UNT alum (class of '11). Actually registered yesterday before seeing this post but figured this was the right place for my first post, ha.

We showed a quick cutaway shot of Morris in the stands, then a closing shot of Morris leaving in the helicopter. It was a cool shot - I'm not going to cut that out of the highlights just to soothe my own competitive fire. Believe me, if we had video of Coach Littrell at one of the big games, I would have used it. We cover everyone... we've shown Sumlin and his swagcopter plenty of times because it's objectively cool. That's why kids fall for the gimmick. Morris hit five games friday night. FIVE. You know what that means? Basically that he's not there scouting or actually talking to people, just making a show of force. 'Look, I have a toy.' 

If our staff is getting good reads on the local kids and establishing real relationships with them and their coaches, I'll take our chances. 

nice to see another Jewish guy on the board. Welcome. 

Glad to have  you on board and in the local media.

The part I put in bold above is so typical SMU.  All style, no substance.  They try so hard to keep up with the former SWC partners and just come off looking like the little brother than follows about 10 steps behind.  We don't tailgate, we boulevard is another example.  They just keep throwing money down the toilet that is SMU.

• Upvote 1

What are you worried about?  His recruiting class is still nothing but 2-star recruits with three or four three star guys.  There's no bigger snow job than the one Chad Morris has pulled on the football dolts over at SMU.  It's SMU...let them waste as much money as they want on their 2-star recruits, okay?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What are you worried about?  His recruiting class is still nothing but 2-star recruits with three or four three star guys.  There's no bigger snow job than the one Chad Morris has pulled on the football dolts over at SMU.  It's SMU...let them waste as much money as they want on their 2-star recruits, okay?

Yeah nothing to worry about when Morris is signing kids like Mike Badejo (Offers from: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, North Texas, Oregon, Pitt, Washington and Arizona St.)  or the five or six other recruits he has with P5 offers.  

• Upvote 1

Yeah nothing to worry about when Morris is signing kids like Mike Badejo (Offers from: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, North Texas, Oregon, Pitt, Washington and Arizona St.)  or the five or six other recruits he has with P5 offers.  

I think that's his point--he will sell SMU's exclusivity, its private education, and its location in Dallas, along with their history and some will buy it. Recruits, fans, media, etc...

But until he proves differently, he's nothing more than the next iteration of Mike Cavan or Phil Bennett to the rest of us.

I think that's his point--he will sell SMU's exclusivity, its private education, and its location in Dallas, along with their history and some will buy it. Recruits, fans, media, etc...

But until he proves differently, he's nothing more than the next iteration of Mike Cavan or Phil Bennett to the rest of us.

And, those guys had the same thing to sell - helicopter or not.  Maybe if he'd use one of these, he'd get the attention of some more highly-rated prospects:

ad571a5ca7b07b3103cf671fbb2b19c7,62,37.j

He can probably get one on ebay for a good $200 - $400. 

By the way, I never saw the problem with Cavan.  The guy damn near broke even in conference with them after the SWC disbanded.  Derek Dooley and Darrel Dickey both blossomed from his rather small "coaching tree."

Also, he coached with the dad of one of my good friends at Georgia under Papa Dooley.  His claim to fame was winning the recruiting battle for Herschel Walker.

nice to see another Jewish guy on the board. Welcome. 

The name made it pretty transparent, huh? Either that or you know the Alpha Epsilon Pi roster from four years ago really well.

Glad to have  you on board and in the local media.

The part I put in bold above is so typical SMU.  All style, no substance.  They try so hard to keep up with the former SWC partners and just come off looking like the little brother than follows about 10 steps behind.  We don't tailgate, we boulevard is another example.  They just keep throwing money down the toilet that is SMU.

We're actually solidly represented in local TV coverage. Both of CBS 11's sports producers are Mean Green grads... their EP, Dandy Killeen, is one of the more gung-ho North Texas guys I've ever met. Fox also has a reporter/producer who graduated a few years ago. We also dominate the radio landscape and there are a solid number writing locally (Tim MacMahon may be the best sports beat reporter in the city). Believe me, I'd love to do more North Texas coverage. But there's a limit to how creatively I can cut bad highlights. Just gotta get something positive to talk about.

Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked for a while, good to be here as a resident.

• Upvote 5

Who cares? It's not like you're verified on Twitter.

• Upvote 1

You will learn that some on here have an unhealthy obsession with all things SMU. Weird since we have never been in a conference with them and have rarely played them historically. (24 is not one of these people, by the way.) 

Having a different healthy obsession myself gives me a unique perspective on the matter...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Who cares? It's not like you're verified on Twitter.

Ha! That's a very recent development. One for which I deeply question the staff at Twitter. 

By the way, here's Dandy Killeen from CBS 11, who I have a ton to thank for as he found me in Hank Dickenson's sports broadcasting class and granted me an internship. As you'll note by the man wearing Mean Green garb beside him at the Heart of Dallas Bowl, he's a hell of a recruiter.

• Upvote 1

The name made it pretty transparent, huh? Either that or you know the Alpha Epsilon Pi roster from four years ago really well.

I think we crossed paths at UNT but were definitely both at Stayman's engagement party. Either way, glad to have you finally onboard the GMG forums

WFAA was the only channel not to mention the Littrell hire on the 10pm news.

WFAA was the only channel not to mention the Littrell hire on the 10pm news.

Monday night? Yeah, that show was about as big as anomaly as we get. We don't have a lot of games on WFAA - ABC basically only does college football on saturdays and the NBA Finals. But that night we had the local broadcast of the Cowboys on MNF, complete with an hour-long pregame show. I went home after pre-game, but would imagine that with that massive a lead-in and the audience the Cowboys command to begin with, we based our sportscast entirely on the Cowboys game. Again, I wasn't there, don't know exactly what the show structure was. But I assure you any of the local stations would have made the same decision directly following a Cowboys game on their air. Believe me, it's not personal. I've taken Dale up to see the school before. He likes UNT. 

Monday night? Yeah, that show was about as big as anomaly as we get. We don't have a lot of games on WFAA - ABC basically only does college football on saturdays and the NBA Finals. But that night we had the local broadcast of the Cowboys on MNF, complete with an hour-long pregame show. I went home after pre-game, but would imagine that with that massive a lead-in and the audience the Cowboys command to begin with, we based our sportscast entirely on the Cowboys game. Again, I wasn't there, don't know exactly what the show structure was. But I assure you any of the local stations would have made the same decision directly following a Cowboys game on their air. Believe me, it's not personal. I've taken Dale up to see the school before. He likes UNT. 

Cowboys coverage, former Wills Point coach dies, Mavs @ Knicks. Not even a mention. Same thing earlier in the season when all of Saturdays games were being previewed, including SMU and TCU, and the only person to mention Rice @ UNT was Izzy after the sports segment. 

WFAA consistently shows SMU and TCU and rarely has UNT coverage. Don't get me wrong, there's not a whole lot to cover about UNT right now, but it's definitely treated about the same or worse as local high schools on your channel.

• Upvote 1

Cowboys coverage, former Wills Point coach dies, Mavs @ Knicks. Not even a mention. Same thing earlier in the season when all of Saturdays games were being previewed, including SMU and TCU, and the only person to mention Rice @ UNT was Izzy after the sports segment. 

WFAA consistently shows SMU and TCU and rarely has UNT coverage. Don't get me wrong, there's not a whole lot to cover about UNT right now, but it's definitely treated about the same or worse as local high schools on your channel.

All I can tell you is that it's definitely not intentional. This is a hugely competitive sports market - it's tough to fit everything in. Let's get some wins in here and I assure you, you'll see plenty of Mean Green on our air.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1