Littrell Targeting Graham Harrell as OC

Eagle-96

It is hard not to get pumped about offense with Harrell and Filani added, for openers, BUT

I will be very nervous until I hear some names announced to lead a mean, straight-razor-totin' defense. I realize that not putting up points was arguably the worst deficiency our team had this past season, but except for the KFC bitches, the opponents could have scored almost any number of points they needed to win.

Let's hear some DEFENSIVE news soon!

Graham Harrell was born in 85 that is scary to me, I started buying my season tickets when he was 15 or so.  

You're scared? My kids were born in '70 and '73! (Of course, I was "active" at a very young age...very)

• Upvote 4

I'm very impressed with the coaching staff Coach Litrell is putting together. Could be very exciting football around here for a change! I know we still need to address the Defensive side of the ball, but this offense might just be what the doctor ordered. Now, would Gene Chizik come to work with his old coaching buddy? Gene runs a very good defensive scheme at Chappell Hill, has a National Title at Auburn, and is known for taking on projects. The only factor with Chiz is he's currently looking for a Head Coaching gig. If he doesnt find one, Litrell might pull a coup and steel him from the Heels. We can dream, right?

Count me in as looking forward to this exciting season.

GMG

I'm very impressed with the coaching staff Coach Litrell is putting together. Could be very exciting football around here for a change! I know we still need to address the Defensive side of the ball, but this offense might just be what the doctor ordered. Now, would Gene Chizik come to work with his old coaching buddy? Gene runs a very good defensive scheme at Chappell Hill, has a National Title at Auburn, and is known for taking on projects. The only factor with Chiz is he's currently looking for a Head Coaching gig. If he doesnt find one, Litrell might pull a coup and steel him from the Heels. We can dream, right?

GMG

The entire football world would be SHOCKED if Chizik came here.  I don't see anyway he leaves UNC right now except for a head coaching job or a DC job with another top school. 

• Upvote 2

GMG

Impressed? It's 2 hires.

The most important hire is still to come.

The entire football world would be SHOCKED if Chizik came here.  I don't see anyway he leaves UNC right now except for a head coaching job or a DC job with another top school. 

So we could here about how HE actually won a national title at Auburn?

Suck it, Dan McCarney.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

@2:30, he talks about coach Leach & his system not changing after 10 years.  Should bode well for him as I anticipate much of what Littrell does is what Leach does.  

Would love to try and weasel out one of our paycheck games and one of our FCS games over the next 2 seasons to work in a home/home w/WAZZU.  It would either be high-scoring as heck, or very low scoring because each defense would know what the other team's offense is doing...

• Upvote 1

Impressed? It's 2 hires.

The most important hire is still to come.

Yes that's true, it's only two hires. I'm guessing you are referring to the fact that we do not have a DC yet? My take is this.. another great offensive mind is likely coming to Denton and will be very good with this coaching staff. That will make for 3 quality hires and some very exciting football. Wouldn't you say the coaches we just brought in are already better than anyone we've had in recent years? Of course I'm impressed, and we're clearly moving in a direction that promotes healing. I know RV gets the bulk of your negative posts here, but I think he's earned a +1 for this coaching hire. Perhaps I am a little premature with my enthusiasm, but that has to be allowed considering the tremendous glacier this program has hit? For the record, I blame RV for what has happened up to this point, so I must also give him credit for getting this coaching hire right. I think It's okay to be impressed by what has transpired so far. Time to put the banners and be-headings behind us. The sun is finally coming out.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Yes that's true, it's only two hires. I'm guessing you are referring to the fact that we do not have a DC yet? My take is this.. another great offensive mind is likely coming to Denton and will be very good with this coaching staff. That will make for 3 quality hires and some very exciting football. Wouldn't you say the coaches we just brought in are already better than anyone we've had in recent years? Of course I'm impressed, and we're clearly moving in a direction that promotes healing. I know RV gets the bulk of your negative posts here, but I think he's earned a +1 for this coaching hire. Perhaps I am a little premature with my enthusiasm, but that has to be allowed considering the tremendous glacier this program has hit? For the record, I blame RV for what has happened up to this point, so I must also give him credit for getting this coaching hire right. I think It's okay to be impressed by what has transpired so far. Time to put the banners and be-headings behind us. The sun is finally coming out.

GMG

I would say we have no idea how Harrell will perform as an OC because he has never been one before.

And what qualifies him as being a "great offensive mind?" Playing QB in the NFL? Being a WR coach at Washington St? 

Its hyperbole like this that we see after every hire that is just inane. We have no idea how Harrell will perform here. Chances are he will do well, mainly because someone who was a very good OC will be head coach and will be mentoring Harrell. 

The most important thing with Harrell's hire is can he recruit? Specifically, can he recruit QBs? 

Time will tell.

You are not a little premature, you are way premature, to the point of irrational. We have 2 assistants hired and you are already calling this a great staff. Good lord, man, you are calling this a "great hire" before one recruit has committed or one game has been played. Did RV pay you or something? 

Step away from the cool aid, take a breath, and see what happens. 

RV is a disaster, and this hire, successful or not, does nothing to change that.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I would say we have no idea how Harrell will perform as an OC because he has never been one before.

And what qualifies him as being a "great offensive mind?" Playing QB in the NFL? Being a WR coach at Washington St? 

Its hyperbole like this that we see after every hire that is just inane. We have no idea how Harrell will perform here. Chances are he will do well, mainly because someone who was a very good OC will be head coach and will be mentoring Harrell. 

The mist important thing with Harrell's hire is can he recruit? Specifically, can he recruit QBs? 

Time will tell.

https://www.harrellpassing.com/

^^I'm fairly certain he sees plenty of QB's(and WR's, TE's, and RB's) here. And will recruit accordingly. Having Harrell, and in turn his dad's high school connections/name will be huge. He is considered a "great offensive mind" because he's been under Leach forever and picked his brain. He has a complete understanding of an effective Air Raid offense.

• Upvote 1

https://www.harrellpassing.com/

^^I'm fairly certain he sees plenty of QB's(and WR's, TE's, and RB's) here. And will recruit accordingly. Having Harrell, and in turn his dad's high school connections/name will be huge. He is considered a "great offensive mind" because he's been under Leach forever and picked his brain. He has a complete understanding of an effective Air Raid offense.

So Leach is a great offensive mind is what you are really saying.

No one has any idea if Harrell can execute Leach's offense. He has never done it.

He does appear to be a solid add in the recruiting department, but recruiting to UNT is much different than even recruiting to Washington St. 

Again, get off the cool aid and wait to see what happens. 

And that link is to a skills camp for middle and high schoolers. Do you know how many of these camps are out there? Is every college assistant who runs one of these camps a "offensive genious?" 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GMG

I would say hold your horses as well.   You're talking about 2 guys that aren't even confirmed.   As far as we know, he may have ZERO coaches right now.   And even if we do hire those two, we're still going to need at least 3 more on offense and all of the defensive/ST's coaches (although it sounds as though Perry may be staying in his role? Again, we don't know).