Dickey Staying at Memphis

Cr1028

Per the Scoop

Memphis: Interim head coach / running backs coach / co-offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey is being retained, per a report from SI, who adds that Tulane tight ends / running backs coach David Johnson is joining the staff as well. SI adds that Dickey’s role is to be determined.

As much as I dislike him for how he left this place, I'm glad he is doing well. 

• Upvote 5

over the last 4 years coach Dickey has held the titles: Interim HC/Assoc. HC/co-OC/Running Backs Coach...his experience taking UNT to 4 straight bowls will serve Memphis well in both the Birmingham Bowl against Auburn from the SEC, and coach Norvell as a first year HC.

I'm thrilled we were able to keep him, and it also represents continuity for our players.

565e21edc5427.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C80

Edited by gomemphistigers1
  • Upvote 5

I openly criticized the Dickey for many reasons, but one on one he is was always willing to talk to me. A really nice guy one on one. 

I think that's why the players love him...He's a really nice guy who's always willing to mentor his players, he's also good at recruiting, but I just wouldn't want him as Head Coach...I think he'll be a fantastic OC/Assoc HC for Norvell, though.

I also think UNT made a smart coaching hire...good luck!

He is really a perfect fit as an OC. He doesn't have to interact with the media or fans as much as the head coach does, plus he can use his time to focus on installing offensive schemes that the head coach wants him to implement. He also can't let the outside influences of the situation cause him to build an offense around his personal views of the situation, but instead focus on what the head coach wants.

Darrell has surprisingly versatile in his time there at Memphis? He was certainly great to work with here for the things I needed from him. Always a class act with us, just ended badly with the Administration. Sometimes you have to know when to cut the cord, and I think DD knew it was time. Continued good luck Coach Dickey.. and THROW THE F'ing BALL!  Sorry, this is the last time I will have the opportunity to yell that.. Coach Dickey doesn't get discussed much on our board anymore.

GMG

I hear that it also helped us that his wife is a Memphis grad (when it was Memphis State), and they seem to have put down roots here...moreover, the Graham/Norvell combo has been very successful throwing the ball at Tulsa, Pitt, and Ariz State.

This is actually Dickey's second stint at Memphis, he was an assistant coach at "Memphis State" from 1986-1989

everything I read about Littrell says he's a solid pick for UNT...and I really like that new stadium.

doesn't Dickey have a practice facility named after him there?

• Upvote 2

I hear that it also helped us that his wife is a Memphis grad (when it was Memphis State), and they seem to have put down roots here...moreover, the Graham/Norvell combo has been very successful throwing the ball at Tulsa, Pitt, and Ariz State.

This is actually Dickey's second stint at Memphis, he was an assistant coach at "Memphis State" from 1986-1989

everything I read about Littrell says he's a solid pick for UNT...and I really like that new stadium.

Yes he does. He won 26(?) straight conference games here and took us to four straight bowl games. Something that had never been done before. He was screwed with horrendous facilities and conference. Plus our AD is a giant douche so they hated each other, hence his leaving. 

6182324986_935b1ef50e_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

6182324986_935b1ef50e_z.jpg

So ridiculous...that is what happened when one mega donor held the AD hostage with their donations. Now that AD has insulated himself within 17 people so that we will eventually get the equally ridiculous RV Athletic Department Offices to overlook that field. Meanwhile, Hayden Fry, Odus Mitchell, and Mean Joe Greene have nothing named after them. Makes perfect UNT sense...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1