Lighting the Tower Green for France (But Also Volleyball)

I think that tweet is just fine.

There is a long-standing tradition of lighting the tower for a UNT win.   The Volleyball team won.  They deserve to have the tower lit for their win.  
I bet the tower would have been lit even if they lost... for Paris.  Since both happened, it was lit for both.  Doesn't mean one or the other has to be poo-poo'd.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So the tower was already green for the win, and then someone thought it was a good time to tag on some heartfelt copy for more favs/likes/shares?
Was this UCRM's call?

People had problems because we couldn't change the color of the lights to blue, white, and red.

• Upvote 1

People had problems because we couldn't change the color of the lights to blue, white, and red.

I would not expect them to do that at all - but why try to pretend your tower was lit for this cause when it clearly wasn't?

I'm wearing these pants I've had on all day to benefit, um, the homeless.

• Upvote 4

I would not expect them to do that at all - but why try to pretend your tower was lit for this cause when it clearly wasn't?

It was definitely a bit of a stretch to use the tower lit up as a tribute to France to say the least. To me, the originally posted Facebook status was embarrassing and shows some of the dysfunction that are at certain levels of North Texas. I love my university, but as a student and former employee there, these gaffes seemed to occur with more frequency than other universities. I wasn't offended at all--it was mainly just the public perception element of the North Texas Facebook page trying to make a convoluted connection between a green tower and France and then throwing in Volleyball for good measure. Poorly worded and executed for sure and they know that. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

Yep.

I admire UNT for wanting to express solidarity with France, but the people involved in social media should've found another way to do it.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2

It was definitely a bit of a stretch to use the tower lit up as a tribute to France to say the least. To me, the originally posted Facebook status was embarrassing and shows some of the dysfunction that are at certain levels of North Texas. I love my university, but as a student and former employee there, these gaffes seemed to occur with more frequency than other universities. I wasn't offended at all--it was mainly just the public perception element of the North Texas Facebook page trying to make a convoluted connection between a green tower and France and then throwing in Volleyball for good measure. Poorly worded and executed for sure and they know that. 

The problem is even if they had lit the tower solely as a tribute for France, most people out there wouldn't have known any different unless they ran out and checked UNT's Facebook account.

• Upvote 1