Never heard anyone ever say they have lower prices than Spec's, especially the debit/cash price.

Depends - the one thing their staff does well is take what you like and find you a much cheaper version of it. I've found some good vodkas, whiskeys, bourbons and gins for cocktail mixing and even a few for straight sipping I never would have touched otherwise thanks to them. 

IDK how long Total Wine in Lewisville has been open but their M.O. when entering a market is to undercut pricing on most everything to drive out the little guys. Once dominance has been established you'll see the prices increase.

For those unaware Specs is owned by North Texas alums that support the University. 

• Upvote 1

IDK how long Total Wine in Lewisville has been open but their M.O. when entering a market is to undercut pricing on most everything to drive out the little guys. Once dominance has been established you'll see the prices increase.

For those unaware Specs is owned by North Texas alums that support the University. 

I think they're pushing 2 years in Lewisville now, but you'd have to check me on that.  (Brief Google implies closer to a year and a half) Since whatever year it was that they opened was the same year Lewisville OK's liquor stores, there was no little guy to push out.  Competition would be Highland Village to the north and The Colony to the east.

I'd rather give my money to Specs.  Three things:

1)  The price difference on the stuff I buy (mid-grade to decent grade bourbon mostly) runs about 15-25% lower at Total Wine

2)  Unlike the big flagship Specs in Dallas on 75 and Walnut Hill, I've not received very consistent service at Specs in The Colony. Not very knowledgeable beer staff sometimes, and some rather derisive comments from people checking out (based on quantity, perceived lack of quality of items purchased, or mocking perceived snootiness for something being too high quality)

3)  Total Wine isn't kinda sorta if I jump on an extra $4 of tolls on the way home like Specs.  It is DIRECTLY on the way home.

All that said, the floor sales people (or at least the bourbon guy in particular) at Total Wine is a bluetooth wearing, bad suit donning, pushy, obviously getting kickbacks, doesn't actually know shit about his product, greasy car salesman.  He's difficult to avoid if you take more than two minutes to decide what you're going to buy on a given day.  Then he'll completely ignore anything you have to say (like, you know, "Go away, little man!") and try to push his distributor's crappy flavor of the week into your hands.

The applewood smoked bacon at Specs is second to none.  That in and of itself is worth the drive sometimes.