SMU Jesus vs. Our Jesus

Last year, SMU hired SMU Jesus amongst much fanfare.  Here is how he is recruiting in year two:  https://smu.rivals.com/Default.asp

You can tick back a year and see it wasn't all that different in 2014.  Tick back into the June Jones years, and it really is no different:  all two star recruits with 3-5 three star guys mixed in.  Even after his multi-year bowl run.   

We're going to get, we believe, a guy who should easily be on par with SMU Jesus.  I'm going to go ahead and call it now, so that it's on record: His first year here, UNT Jesus will do better than SMU Jesus did there.  And, I'd lay odds that UNT Jesus has us beating SMU Jesus next year at Apogee; so, order your tickets today.

Hear me now, believe me later.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, their recruiting didn't take a tick down and at very minimum ours will not either. However, that is large part due to how bad Dan Mccarney recruited across the board. If we get a splash hire we will have a top 5 CUSA recruiting class THIS recruiting class. That's how fertile it is around here and how much of a difference a coach that puts a real emphasis on recruiting matters. 

The only difference between their '15 signing class and our was they got three 3-star guys.  The rest were 2s; all of ours were 2s. 

The class SMU Jesus signed was identical to those June Jones was signing. They are not way ahead of us recruiting.  Not even close.   

And, for all of the talk of SMU Jesus being an offensive guru, he signed one 3-star QB last year and has one 2-star committed this year.  He does not have QBs flocking to The Hilltop.

A decent hiring of a good college OC will likely pull us even pretty quickly.

Three star or better signees:
2015: SMU Jesus - 4, McCarney - 2
2014:  McCarney - 3, June - 3
2013: June - 6, McCarney - 0
2012: June - 12, McCarney - 5
2011: June - 21, McCarney - 5

Junes Jones, just looking at the recruiting record should not have had his ass whipped by us last year.  People criticized Jones, saying he didn't recruit well...he was pulling in more highly regarded recruits than SMU Jesus. 

But, over the last two years:  SMU - 7, UNT - 5

Like I said and predicted, the climb to be even with SMU is probably not even a climb at all.  SMU has 23 commitments to its 2016, so it's basically done.  And, again, only four 3-star guys. 

SMU Jesus is not, contrary to what everyone said would happen, sweeping high school preps off their feet.  A high profile hire will easily have us equal or better than that. 

You have to wonder, at this point, whether SMU Jesus is hedging - worried he can't get guys to commit, so he offers marginal guys too soon.  A committed class of 19 2-star guys and 4 3-star guys before November? 

By the way June signed 16 3-star guys in 2010, Dodge's last recruiting class year.  So, our 2014 squad, on paper, should have been overmatched by SMU.  Dodge's 2010 had 8 3-stars, and most were JUCOs.

SMU's not far ahead of us, guys.  A home run hire, and we're there.

I hope you are right? Chad Morris is a very good recruiter and has already laid the ground work for some top area talent. I know he has a verbal already from a very good LB from Mansfield Timberview. (SMU parent talks about him here at work daily) I love talking college football with him, but I take a black eye almost every conversation? We need for North Texas to have a guy that recruits with the best, if that is possible? Here's to the hope that the right coach gets hired and can deliver some talent to our beloved Mean Green Football. If RV picks another Coach from the Corn States?, here's hoping Apogee sells Valium and beer by the gallon.

GMG!!!

• Upvote 1

I think it's all talk.  Numbers don't lie, so far, same with the results.  Four 3-stars last year; four this year.  Lower than June Jones was getting there regularly.  Both ran spread offenses. 

First season here, with what should have been a veteran roster of Jones' 3-star guys, and he's 1-7.  Dan McCarney went 5-7 his first season here.

McCarney's sin was at QB.  But, look...you've got his 2013 class which reaped Tee Goree, Willie Ivery, Kishawn McClain, Jeffrey Wilson.  Get a QB in here and a decent defensive coordinator, and we've got something.  We lose two off the OL, the other three will be third year, fourth, or fifth year guys. 

I'm telling you, the more you look at what people thought was an energetic, game changing hire at SMU really hasn't moved the needle all that much for them.  A good hire for us puts us in good shape for the future.  And, more quickly than I think some people expect. 

• Upvote 3

Newsflash!!!

Schmoo sucks and MOST people don't like them.  That said, they throw money at all the right places and so they are thought to be a "better" school.  This helps them in head-to-head recruiting battles with UNT.  SMU Jesus vs UNT Jesus with all other things staying the same (ie: perceived school rankings, conf affiliation, etc) = they will more consistently pull higher ranked classes than us.  Parents will look at that school education ranking in US News (dumb and rigged as it is) and that cost of attendance ($160k Schmoo vs <$50k UNT) and think that the smart move is to commit to dirty, dirty schmoo.  Now, not all parents are idiots, but many are.  Especially the ones who send their kids to dirty schmoo.  :)

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Last year, SMU hired SMU Jesus amongst much fanfare.  Here is how he is recruiting in year two:  https://smu.rivals.com/Default.asp

You can tick back a year and see it wasn't all that different in 2014.  Tick back into the June Jones years, and it really is no different:  all two star recruits with 3-5 three star guys mixed in.  Even after his multi-year bowl run.   

We're going to get, we believe, a guy who should easily be on par with SMU Jesus.  I'm going to go ahead and call it now, so that it's on record: His first year here, UNT Jesus will do better than SMU Jesus did there.  And, I'd lay odds that UNT Jesus has us beating SMU Jesus next year at Apogee; so, order your tickets today.

I agree with you...

Regardless, I think our football program will come down to how well we schedule opponents even moreso than the recruits we will get.

SMU's Jesus was a splash hire, even though by definition he should walk on water. Our Jesus will outrecruit and outperform theirs, even though ours will not have to be a splash hire to walk on water...our Jesus knows where the rocks are!

3000157.jpg 

Are you Saying that Tim  Tebow is going to take up coaching and that Tim Tebow will coach the UNT Mean Green Eagles next year?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tebow doesn't have the resume to apply, but if he did he would bring one helluva play-caller with him to our staff. And talk about Special Teams!

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1