(HeadCoach)What if we . . . . .

UNTwarDaddy

I know a lot of people feel that we should offer our next coach somewhere around the 1.5 million figure, (in a way I do too) but what if we instead paid our next head coach around what Dan was making and possibly invest and extra 200K per year for a better Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator, making that 100k extra for each position.

HC - 770,000 - 860,000

OC - 270,000 - 300,000

DC - 270,000 - 300,000

I think that will allow for a young coach (like briles / #wishful thinking) to come in and us not have to worry about his age or possibly in-experience at the HC position.

I'm curious to hear y'alls take on this.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's an unsustainable bubble in a game that UNT is more than gladly going to play.  I don't know what the actual answer is though.  

You act like UNT is going to pay for this.  The Big Donors will pay for this salary.  

Agreed. Doesn't change the fact that it's the way it is going. It'll pop soon.

Yes, just like tuition is about to fall, you know, for no know reason at all and in exact opposition basic economic theory.

ETA:  I am sure the WarDaddy's scenario is in play for the right HC/Recruiter combo.  If there is a candidate out there who wants the job and REALLY wants his best recruiter to follow, then they'll more than likely be willing to defer some compensation to them.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 5

It's an unsustainable bubble in a game that UNT is more than gladly going to play.  I don't know what the actual answer is though.  

I suggest better judgement on the part of the hiring authority here at North Texas. That starts with a coach on his way up and paying him a reasonable salary.

Besides, we have a gem of a stadium for a mid-major, but we've yet to sell it out. And even if we did, can that ever cover the cost of paying someone 1.5 mil and the higher proportional salaries that would have to be given to his assistant coaches?

• Upvote 1

You act like UNT is going to pay for this.  The Big Donors will pay for this salary.  

Yes, just like tuition is about to fall, you know, for no know reason at all and in exact opposition basic economic theory.

The lending dollars will have to pop eventually.  When that goes, maybe the tuition doesn't go down.  Maybe it does.  I'll be interested to see.

As for the coaching salary.  Just wait for it.  In 3...2...1... RAISE THE STUDENT ATHLETIC FEE!

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

The lending dollars will have to pop eventually.  When that goes, maybe the tuition doesn't go down.  Maybe it does.  I'll be interested to see.

No US official is going to cut the money to public and private non profit universities.  For profit will get hammered sooner or later, and more people will start seeing the value in not attending a four year university.  Neither of those is our demographic base.  The people who will go to an industrial school in the future are not who we are recruiting now. 

• Upvote 1

When the P5s eventually split away for good, that is when the coaching salaries for your G5s will drop down accordingly. I still bet that schism occurs in the next 10 years. What will really be interesting is if Memphis gets into the playoff. They are at 13 now, still play undefeated UH, who is #25, #21 Temple, and 6-1 Navy, and could play Temple again in the AAC Championship game. If Ole Miss runs the table and Memphis runs the table, I think they are going to be in there. The Big XII leaders are going to cannibalize each other, the Pac-12 looks down, and if Notre Dame loses again, which I think they will, that is going to potentially leave you with this scenario:

Ohio State

Ole Miss

Clemson

Memphis

You could see several G5 schools really overpay coaches if they think they can duplicate Memphis's success in this scenario. The only problem is that Memphis and Ole Miss are old rivals that play each other every year in this crazy thing called a home-and-home series. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the SEC or the P5s pressure Ole Miss to drop that series immediately.

• Upvote 1

The initial playoff polls tell me that they want an all SEC championship just as much today as they did when they got it back in 2012.  I'm not holding my breath for any Boise state playoff busters.  

Won't happen until the playoff field is expanded to 8 teams.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1

The initial playoff polls tell me that they want an all SEC championship just as much today as they did when they got it back in 2012.  I'm not holding my breath for any Boise state playoff busters.  

I think that the top 4 will change out a lot, just as it did last year.

This week, the loser of Bama and LSU and the loser of TCU/Okie State will be out of the mix. Michigan State @ Ohio State loser will be out, as will the loser of the B1G championship (MSU/OSU or Iowa). Clemson and FSU loser will be officially out, as will Stanford/Notre Dame and Baylor/OU.

All I'm saying is that Ole Miss holds their destiny in their own hands. Win out against Arkansas, LSU, and at Miss. State and they win the SEC West and then probably the SEC Championship. Not likely, I realize, but its the scenario that scares the hell out of the P5s. If Memphis wins out, with wins over Navy, at ranked UH, and Temple twice in a home and home, while Ole Miss wins out, I think they will get into the Top 4, unless the AAC teams they beat lose some more games along the way and water down those victories.

• Upvote 1

IMHO, any talk of 1.5 mil for a coach here at NT, or any mid-major for that matter, is just crazy. 

Personally, I'd rather pay out a McCarney type salary with nice incentives, and use the balance of that 1.5 mill a year as a nice contribution toward an indoor practice facility. I'm just not sure that we can get anyone truly better for 1.5 mill than we can with 7-8 hundred grand plus quality incentives.

Unless of course it's some proven big name guy who for whatever reason might be willing to take a pay cut at 1.5. Well, I guess there's always the very successful mid-major guy who could only be pried away from his current 7-8 hundred grand job simply because of the money.

It's all pretty much of a crapshoot to me regardless, but I'd really like to find someone with Texas ties who truly wants to be in Denton.