Coach Chico Embraces the fans after the UTKFC win

Harry

Right now I am just happy we did not go winless this season. And yes I can totally see us beating UTEP. Actually we probably should. I can see that Canales has the team playing hard again. And it is evident that he has a very different way of handling QBs than there was under Coach mac. And maybe there is a chance he did recruit a FBS quality QB, but for whatever reason, Dajon Williams is not on the roster anymore.

All that said, all that has happened is UNT scrapping out a home-win over a 1-6 team by the skin of its teeth. I am really happy about it and it is sure to be awesome for team morale, but it is not really where we expect to be mid or long term. And he has to be held at least partially accountable for whatever offensive talent is or isn't on the roster. Plus even if he did not really choose who he is playing or how he is playing them, they still did not develop like they should, and that might be on him. Right now my base feeling is:  President Smatresk, please get rid of everyone. But -like all of you- I will keep watching. And like everyonee willing to learn I will stay ready to change my opinion if the evidence becomes eye popping. If they beat La Tech or MTSU and the progress becomes really evident, plus we cannot get someone like Fritz, then ok, interview him and consider giving him a short (3 years) incentive based contract with a low base. But right now, If we absolutely have to give Canales a job, I frankly would prefer we give him the AD rather than the HC job.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

McCarney couldn't win on the road....ever. Not at ISU and certainly not here. We haven't had an OOC road win since Todd Dodge at Ball State. Canales will have much better luck on the road than Mac would've.

Not true:

10/19/13     at Louisiana Tech * TV     Ruston, LA     W, 28-13
10/26/13     at Southern Miss * TV     Hattiesburg, MS     W, 55-14
11/30/13     at Tulsa * TV     Tulsa, OK     W, 42-10

Of course, the last year & a half are a different story...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not true:

Ehhm. in 2013 those teams were all in a conference with UNT.

• Upvote 3

Not true:

I know McCarney won a few road games, 5 to be exact, in 28 chances over 4.5 seasons, a 5-23 w/l record on the road for a win percentage of less than 18% For comparison, Canales sits at 2-2 all-time on the road. He went 2-1 in 2010 and sits at 0-1 so far this year. Canales won his first 2 road games in 2010 while it took McCarney 9 road games for him to get his 2nd NT road win. Give me Canales and his .500 win percentage as the better road coach all day long.

• Upvote 5

I know McCarney won a few road games, 5 to be exact, in 28 chances over 4.5 seasons, a 5-23 w/l record on the road for a win percentage of less than 18% For comparison, Canales sits at 2-2 all-time on the road. He went 2-1 in 2010 and sits at 0-1 so far this year. Canales won his first 2 road games in 2010 while it took McCarney 9 road games for him to get his 2nd NT road win. Give me Canales and his .500 win percentage as the better road coach all day long.

Expect more Josh Greers if Canales is head coach. Not only did he miss on his evaluation during recruitment (twice) but he also missed on his evaluation in practice, starting him over DW and Mini Mac (yes, better than Greer). 

And you know he had to fight DMac to start him over Mini. 

There are a bunch of 3-9 records in UNT's future if this happens.

And yet another buy out. 

What I know from this thread is that: 90 is narcissistic and always right.

Or that I'm right. Like I was about the 2015 schedule, Like I was about this team's record this year (probably gonna miss it by one), like I was about RV's Tulsa lie, like I was about Benford half way through year one (admittedly not hard, but here we sit in year 4), like I was when I told a reactional fan base to tap the brakes on DW DURING the Nicholls St game, or like I was when I said in 2013 that the offense was predictable (joined one and 2 years later by a majority of posters on here)?

Yet you want to have the typical idiot fan reaction of wanting a guy to be head coach because he won one game against a bad opponent? A guy that has been a part of the destruction of this program? 

I guess you should call Billysee names, also, for pointing out the terrible recruiting, eh?

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 2

No, there are many reasons. UTKFC just proved to me that he should be considered.

Maybe I missed them all in some other thread.   UNT just proved this weekend that we're not the worst team in our division/conference.   Is that what it takes?

Chico gets the guys to play better than McCarney.   Great!   I'm glad he can do that.   I'm appreciative of Canales.

But when we're talking about ~$800k/yr (or maybe more?), there are going to be other more qualified candidates.   C'mon.

• Downvote 1