#UTSAHateWeek

aztecskin

Not a rival.

We are as much of a rival as the coyote was to the roadrunner...you cant be a rival if you can't beat the other team.

UTSA has fielded a team at the full FBS level for all of three plus years...and they completely own us. Even if you only look at us being FBS (again) since 1995, that's quite a sobering difference--enough to make you want to get drunk...again.

• Upvote 2

We are as much of a rival as the coyote was to the roadrunner...you cant be a rival if you can't beat the other team.

UTSA has fielded a team at the full FBS level for all of three plus years...and they completely own us. Even if you only look at us being FBS (again) since 1995, that's quite a sobering difference--enough to make you want to get drunk...again.

While I totally understand the point you are trying to make, it's not like we have 50-year old superhumans playing stocked up from past football squads. There is constant churn in collegiate sports. You can amass #brand noteriety and tradition, but that doesn't necessarily win you games. Look at Army. Look at Texas, and Miami right now. They were perennial top-10s in the 2000s! Now they are middle-of-the-pack power 5s. 

Remember when South Florida was #2 in the nation? How are they doing right now? Remember UCF was in the Fiesta Bowl in 2014? That really carried over.

If some of you folks don't consider UTSA a rival for various reasons, that is fine. I wouldn't use no. of victories as a metric however, considering that 1. it just began and 2. lots of rivalries have have multi-year streaks (OU - Tessus, aggies of tessus vs tessus, michigandonians vs ohio state rust belters, etc). 

I know the unofficial extracurricular activity at NT has been self-loathing but this is one where we can have fun -- even pretend fun -- while still self-loathing. 

• Upvote 1

While I totally understand the point you are trying to make, it's not like we have 50-year old superhumans playing stocked up from past football squads. There is constant churn in collegiate sports. You can amass #brand noteriety and tradition, but that doesn't necessarily win you games. Look at Army. Look at Texas, and Miami right now. They were perennial top-10s in the 2000s! Now they are middle-of-the-pack power 5s. 

Remember when South Florida was #2 in the nation? How are they doing right now? Remember UCF was in the Fiesta Bowl in 2014? That really carried over.

If some of you folks don't consider UTSA a rival for various reasons, that is fine. I wouldn't use no. of victories as a metric however, considering that 1. it just began and 2. lots of rivalries have have multi-year streaks (OU - Tessus, aggies of tessus vs tessus, michigandonians vs ohio state rust belters, etc). 

I know the unofficial extracurricular activity at NT has been self-loathing but this is one where we can have fun -- even pretend fun -- while still self-loathing. 

Don't misunderstand me--I want them to be a rival...we just need to actually beat them once in a while to do that. Otherwise, we are their tomato can that gets kicked around. They have beaten us for recruits and they have scheduled P5 teams to come in and help build up a fanbase. Meanwhile, we get murdered by an FCS team in the worst loss ever by a FBS team, as well as losing to a local school with a new coach that will probably end up winning no more than two games this year.

UTSA is like just about everyone else in America right now--they are ahead of us, some by a little bit like UTSA and SMU right now, some by light years. And, yes, that can and does change at the G5 level, as you showed above with UCF and USF. But what hasn't changed since is that we are in the Bottom 5 of all FBS programs for the last 10+ years. It really makes you wonder if all the losing has truly gutted us in the eyes of NCAA coaches, Texas HS coaches, and true FBS recruits that are being targets by other FBS schools. Whoever is the next coach here is going to have quite the mountain to start climbing. The roster is void of talent, as a whole, and has shown that they will quit when things get tough, not to mention that the offensive style that they were recruited to play is a polar opposite of what most teams play today. And all of that doesn't even talk about actually going out and recruiting kids to come here from the Texas high schools. Its a big reason why UTSA has a much, much brighter outlook than we have going forward. Not to mention that they have an AD who knows what SHE is doing, unlike our guy...

Edited by untjim1995

@untjim1995 I gotcha. The good news is that for the foreseeable future we have them scheduled yearly. So we have a chance every year. 

As for the rest? Well let's hope the new UNT Prez figures that stuff out. I have hope considering our stadium is ours, cool, and a vast improvement on our last one. The current decade has been Fouts, and I'm hoping the next one will be Apogee. 

All this talk about their mascot not being able to fly has me confused. I thought their mascot was this Plymouth.12477220_AX.JPG

I lol every time I see this. 

I would love to see MTSU be our rival. We had a great one brewing in the Belt. NutsaCK just feels too forced.

I respect your desires, but this is why I think the opposite is true. How many MTSU folks do you see walking around the Metroplex? I haven't seen anyone with signatures hating the fact that we lost last year to them. This, a season with nothing to play for and yet I feel sports hate in my heart. No force applied at all. 

• Upvote 2

#JustAnotherGameWeek

False

A win over UTSA knocks them out of bowl eligibility and ensures they won't be doing anything different than us during bowl season.

A win gives us bragging rights over them for a year, but more importantly may help silence them.

A win drags them down to the bottom of CUSA, and gives us a shot at not finishing dead last.

A win would do a lot for the psyche of this team & fan base.

A win will give a little redemption for them coming in and beating us in 2013 with so much on the line for us.

This doesn't feel like just another game to me, it feels like a must-win #BeatUTSA

• Upvote 3

False

A win over UTSA knocks them out of bowl eligibility and ensures they won't be doing anything different than us during bowl season.

A win gives us bragging rights over them for a year, but more importantly may help silence them.

A win drags them down to the bottom of CUSA, and gives us a shot at not finishing dead last.

A win will give a little redemption for them coming in and beating us in 2013 with so much on the line for us.

This doesn't feel like just another game to me, it feels like a must-win #BeatUTSA

Looks like you're certainly enjoying the RIVALRY!!!!1!

UTSA? Bowl eligibility?   Lol.
Bragging Rights?   Dude, we lost to Portland State 66-7.  We don't have any "bragging rights" over anyone any time soon.
We're worried about finishing last, or 2nd-to-last?  What about those punks, UTEP?
Sure!  So would a win the next week against LATech or the next week in Knoxville!
Here's the root.   You gotta let the past go my friend.  We won a bowl game that year while their awesome QB and his transitional friends sat at home and watched.

Can't wait for #LATechHateWeek

Let's be real here.   The only reason why you people here "hate" UTSA is because some of their zealous, dumb fans come on GMG.com and troll you at a higher frequency than any of the other C-USA teams.   The only LATech fan who comes on here with any regularity is one of the nicest dudes on here.  None of the other teams' fans ever come on here... so you suckers don't have any reason to "hate" them.

I'm THIS CLOSE to creating a sock puppet account called LATechFanInTexas and stirring up another "rivalry".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like you're certainly enjoying the RIVALRY!!!!1!

UTSA? Bowl eligibility?   Lol.
Bragging Rights?   Dude, we lost to Portland State 66-7.  We don't have any "bragging rights" over anyone any time soon.
We're worried about finishing last, or 2nd-to-last?  What about those punks, UTEP?
Sure!  So would a win the next week against LATech or the next week in Knoxville!
Here's the root.   You gotta let the past go my friend.  We won a bowl game that year while their awesome QB and his transitional friends sat at home and watched.

Can't wait for #LATechHateWeek

Let's be real here.   The only reason why you people here "hate" UTSA is because some of their zealous, dumb fans come on GMG.com and troll you at a higher frequency than any of the other C-USA teams.   The only LATech fan who comes on here with any regularity is one of the nicest dudes on here.  None of the other teams' fans ever come on here... so you suckers don't have any reason to "hate" them.

I'm THIS CLOSE to creating a sock puppet account called LATechFanInTexas and stirring up another "rivalry".

We lost 66-7 so we should shut it down and never play again? 

Winning any game from here forth will mean nothing because we had the worst lost ever?

We shouldn't try to score touchdowns when losing by an insurmountable margin because, like whyeventryamirite?

But i thought we have to let the past go? 

--- 

Seriously, I wrote the #hateweek thing tongue-in-cheek. Every fanbase is seriously so self-absorbed that #RivalryWeek things are manufactured media events anymore. (Like most of 'traditional', home-grown college football pageantry, it has largely been coopted by ESPN's College Game Day). Outside of SMU, who doesn't want to play along, we don't have any other team even willing to dance this silly dance with us beside those guys. So, yes, it helps that we get some lames that come on here and hamfist some #smacktalk and other takes they swiped from the latest Jim Rome show. 

---

So create the stupid #LATechHateWeek because it is funny. That is hilarious. Not a gottdamned thing of this matters without anyone making it so. So have fun with it. I don't understand why you are so upset with this. 

--- 

When started MGN, it was also tongue-in-cheek. We have no national fanbase. We aren't Texas or Ohio State, or any other school with t-shirt fans rooting for us while attending State U. Outside of this board, a random bleacher report guy, and the occasional half-ass effort there is nothing about us anywhere and there won't be unless a person makes it happen. 

I'm perfectly happy to be convinced that I should care about some other game with some other team beside this one but I'm not going to wait around and let it happen 'organically' because that doesn't. happen. It's a myth. People make things happen. People make decisions. So make a case for something else, or don't but please for the love of Johnny Jones don't just Scrooge here all day. At least not in this thread. 

• Upvote 2

False

Dang dude.  That was a good post. Seriously.  It's good to see some positive excitement about the game. 

A dedicated fan should always be looking for ways to get excited about the next game.  You're doing it. 

We don't need the media to tell us a rivalry is being created.  There's already one starting naturally between the fan bases. 

I'm looking forward to a great game from both teams.  Run 'Em!

• Upvote 1