#UTSAHateWeek

aztecskin

We lost 66-7 so we should shut it down and never play again? 

Winning any game from here forth will mean nothing because we had the worst lost ever?

We shouldn't try to score touchdowns when losing by an insurmountable margin because, like whyeventryamirite?

But i thought we have to let the past go? 

--- 

Seriously, I wrote the #hateweek thing tongue-in-cheek. Every fanbase is seriously so self-absorbed that #RivalryWeek things are manufactured media events anymore. (Like most of 'traditional', home-grown college football pageantry, it has largely been coopted by ESPN's College Game Day). Outside of SMU, who doesn't want to play along, we don't have any other team even willing to dance this silly dance with us beside those guys. So, yes, it helps that we get some lames that come on here and hamfist some #smacktalk and other takes they swiped from the latest Jim Rome show. 

---

So create the stupid #LATechHateWeek because it is funny. That is hilarious. Not a gottdamned thing of this matters without anyone making it so. So have fun with it. I don't understand why you are so upset with this. 

--- 

When started MGN, it was also tongue-in-cheek. We have no national fanbase. We aren't Texas or Ohio State, or any other school with t-shirt fans rooting for us while attending State U. Outside of this board, a random bleacher report guy, and the occasional half-ass effort there is nothing about us anywhere and there won't be unless a person makes it happen. 

I'm perfectly happy to be convinced that I should care about some other game with some other team beside this one but I'm not going to wait around and let it happen 'organically' because that doesn't. happen. It's a myth. People make things happen. People make decisions. So make a case for something else, or don't but please for the love of Johnny Jones don't just Scrooge here all day. At least not in this thread. 

We lost 66-7, so we don't need to be scoreboarding anyone we beat this year... if we even do.  Never said anything about not trying to score TDs when down and such.

Winning any game will mean the world.  UTSA, MTSU, UTEP... whatever.  I'm just in a camp that does not place any kind of emphasis on UTSA.  Yet, for some reason this seems to be the only game that stirs people up on here.  It is my belief that it's due to their fans coming on here and trolling.  No one else does this.  Why?   Because NT isn't a threat to them... not in our current state.  We have consistent posters on here from LATech & MT (whom I would actually consider our biggest rival at the moment due to our history in the SBC), and they're nice guys.  If they were more provocative, there would likely be more hate for their schools on here.

Keep MGN going man!  You've said before, you're HQ'd in San Antonio, this likely is additional kerosene for your fire.   I got no problems with that.

The rivalries will happen organically.   1st things 1st, NT has to stop moving around in different conferences.  Then, hopefully we can start winning and challenging another top western team consistently.   If it happens to be UTSA, then so be it.  We don't need to manufacture anything at the moment though, because we're stuck at the bottom of the conference.  Who wants to be a 'rival' with a loser?  C-USA is shuffled right now.  It's going to take a while for any rivalries to really grow.  Hopefully UNT can get back to the top and after a few years of demonstrating that we're the cream of the crop, the rivalries develop.

1. We lost 66-7, so we don't need to be scoreboarding anyone we beat this year... if we even do.  Never said anything about not trying to score TDs when down and such.

Winning any game will mean the world.  UTSA, MTSU, UTEP... whatever.  I'm just in a camp that does not place any kind of emphasis on UTSA.  Yet, for some reason this seems to be the only game that stirs people up on here.  2. It is my belief that it's due to their fans coming on here and trolling.  No one else does this.  Why?   Because NT isn't a threat to them... not in our current state.  We have consistent posters on here from LATech & MT (whom I would actually consider our biggest rival at the moment due to our history in the SBC), and they're nice guys.  If they were more provocative, there would likely be more hate for their schools on here.

3. Keep MGN going man!  You've said before, you're HQ'd in San Antonio, this likely is additional kerosene for your fire.   I got no problems with that.

The rivalries will happen organically.   1st things 1st, NT has to stop moving around in different conferences.  Then, hopefully we can start winning and challenging another top western team consistently.   4. If it happens to be UTSA, then so be it.  We don't need to manufacture anything at the moment though, because we're stuck at the bottom of the conference.  Who wants to be a 'rival' with a loser?  C-USA is shuffled right now.  It's going to take a while for any rivalries to really grow.  Hopefully UNT can get back to the top and after a few years of demonstrating that we're the cream of the crop, the rivalries develop.

1. I was illustrating my disagreement with your point. If we have to be so beatdown by the loss we had, when does it end? It seems to me like giving up after being down 4-5 scores late in the forth and saying "why even score we already got beat".

2. I don't see how that is an invalid or inferior reason. As you illustrate later, there is no history to build on, and so why couldn't this be the beginning seed? Really though, we had dislike for them to begin with -- UNT90 and others talked derisively about them and that fueled the already over-bragging from UTSA (they were on other boards doing lots of mess-talking about their potential abilities) made us (in general) upset. Seems like a good enough reason for sports hate as any. I don't like New England fans / Cardinal fans  and people don't like Spurs fans partly because they are insufferable. 

3. Feel like your missing my point about the 'Nation' and making things happen. I did say that living here *does* fuel the dislike. Geographic nearness is a necessary ingredient which is one reason why the MTSU thing never built organically -- aside from losing. And there has to be something that carries you through the losing years anyway.  

4. Again, my entire point is that waiting for things to happen is really just accepting that things never will happen. It's like RV out here waiting for fans to show up once we win. There are things he could do to build allegiances -- like what Danny Mac did with Freshman orientation -- that he doesn't. In that same vein I am totally on board for you to convince me of the need for #hating MTSU and LaTech. 

I've long said my criteria for a rivalry is as follows:  regional (have to see them around, because out of sight/out of mind is not only a cliche but a danger), historical / cultural ties (we have some with SMU, about a decade and a half with MTSU, but not very strong), play a part in conference pain (revenge is the original fuel for fire). Right now UTSA meets 2.5 of these. While I disagree with the idea of organic origins the argument could be made that I'm not manufacturing anything so much as fueling the smoldering fire that already exists.  

• Upvote 1