DaMarcus Smith

adman

I would submit to you that they are not the same.  Yes, everyone has lost, but there are other factors to consider.  In his first two games ever as a starter, Smith has generally been going against competition superior to that which McNulty faced.  Yet he is statistically superior in terms of pure passing numbers, with a 100.6 rating to McNulty's 89.7.  And he brings a running threat that either McNulty is incapable of bringing or that Coach Mac wouldn't allow him to bring.  Smith already has 173 yards rushing to McNulty's net minus 36.

In addition to that, with Smith getting reps, something is being built on for next year.  McNulty has been a good soldier and an outstanding teammate, and everyone should appreciate that.  But Smith clearly gives us something more on the field.

hope springs enternal

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would submit to you that they are not the same.  Yes, everyone has lost, but there are other factors to consider.  In his first two games ever as a starter, Smith has generally been going against competition superior to that which McNulty faced.  Yet he is statistically superior in terms of pure passing numbers, with a 100.6 rating to McNulty's 89.7.  And he brings a running threat that either McNulty is incapable of bringing or that Coach Mac wouldn't allow him to bring.  Smith already has 173 yards rushing to McNulty's net minus 36.

In addition to that, with Smith getting reps, something is being built on for next year.  McNulty has been a good soldier and an outstanding teammate, and everyone should appreciate that.  But Smith clearly gives us something more on the field.

Really?  Western Kentucky and Marshall are superior competition to Iowa?  Now I've heard everything.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Really?  Western Kentucky and Marshall are superior competition to Iowa?  Now I've heard everything.

gen·er·al·ly
ˈjen(ə)rəlē/
adverb

1. 1.
    in most cases; usually.
    "the term of a lease is generally 99 years"
    synonyms:normally, in general, as a rule, by and large, more often than not,almost always, mainlymostly, for the most part, predominantly, on the whole; More

2. 2.
    in general terms; without regard to particulars or exceptions.
    "a decade when France was moving generally to the left"
    synonyms:overall, in general terms, generally speaking, all in all, broadly, on average, basicallyeffectively
    "popular opinion veers generally to the left"
  • Upvote 4

And, therein lies the problem:  Smith decided to work only when things started going his way.

So, let's get real here:  Mike Canales has not been the only coach he's had for the past four seasons.  He began with Willie Taggart in 2012, when WKU went 7-5.  He was hired away and WKU for Bobby Petrino, a pretty good offensive-minded head coach in his own right.  WKU went 8-4. 

Are we really pretending that DaMarcus Smith, four years out of high, is not up to par solely because of Mike Canales?  Come on.  He's been with Canales for just a couple months.  He's had three years, at least two under coaching staffs with demonstrably successful track records at the FBS level, to learn how to play QB at this level.  He's at Year Four and still doesn't play well.

Canales, for sure, is to blame for much of the QB predicament we are in.  But, be honest - you cannot force a kid to learn.  Taggart and Petrino weren't able to do so. 

And, JUCO is what it is - a ton of guys who will never touch an FBS field playing out the "I'm a college football player" string for as long as they can.  Greer posted some good number in JUCO.  What did it mean?  In the end, nothing.

I think most would argue Taggart and Petrino are better coaches than Canales.  Why, for some of you, is Canales the only one to blame for Smith's lack of development?

Smith, from what it looks like, did not ever put in the work necessary to compete at this level.  And, you know what?  Fine.  But, why blame a coach who's only had him for a couple of months out of the four years he's been bouncing around college programs?

Smith is much more to blame for his lack of development than any coach.  If you aren't willing to work for it, it ain't going to just happen because you yell at your coaches that you are a "gamer" or "think you can win every game" or some other horsesh*t baloney. 

Narrative.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Let's not get silly.  He might have given us a chance against SMU or Rice, but that's about it.

Portland State at home would have been winnable if there was hope. The team quit and was down. A few wins would have changed that. We're we going to a bowl? Most likely not but 4-6 wins would have been possible to end the season. Now we might go 0-12.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

+10000.  If this is not obvious to you, I don't know what to say.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 0:47 PM, UNT90 said:

I'll give you the same tap the brakes I did on Dajon. 

Until I see this kid complete 60% of his passes without an interception in a game, my opinion won't change, and I have zero faith in Chico to develop what he does have. 

He has a strong arm, but is inaccurate and doesn't make the best decisions. 

Decision making could improve. I don't think accuracy will under Chico. 

But lije I said, he is the best we have, so along with you, I hope for the best. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 7:24 PM, GMG24 said:

DAJONs offer list out of HS http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Dajon-Williams-13408/RecruitInterests

Damarcus list http://sports.yahoo.com/ccc/football/recruiting/player-DaMarcus-Smith-94229

he obviously looked an FBS QB to some people in America unlike Dajon, who I think had the talent to be an FBS QB, and I don't care about stats. I'm talking about ability. 

Prior to his senior season, Dajon was in Lone Star Recruiting's top 10 quarterbacks in the state ahead of both Davis Webb and Baylor's Chris Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Prior to his senior season, Dajon was in Lone Star Recruiting's top 10 quarterbacks in the state ahead of both Davis Webb and Baylor's Chris Johnson.

Yes, but to play quarterback at this level you have to do more than make a list because of what you did as a junior in high school.  For Dajon - and Damarcus - that meant:

(1) Showing up to lift weights and run
(2) Showing up to watch film
(3) Study and LEARN the playbook of the offense being run
(4) As leader of the offense, holding your fellow offensive players accountable for (1) - (3).  This is called leadership.

They don't decide who wins or loses games based on high school recruiting lists and HUDL highlight films.  You have to bust your ass - YOU, personally, must take it upon your to bust your ass - once you arrive on a campus. 

Dajon and Damarcus can frame their high school lists and former offers.  They are nothing but history.  What counts is what you do once someone has made the financial/scholarship investment in you.  No coach can lift weights for you, run for you, watch film for you, or study the playbook for you.  You have to do that yourself. 

McCarney's biggest sin was trusting Canales to find guys who were motivated enough to play QB at this level.  He didn't/couldn't...and, everyone on the coaching staff paid the price with their jobs #attheendoftheday. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Yes, but to play quarterback at this level you have to do more than make a list because of what you did as a junior in high school.  For Dajon - and Damarcus - that meant:

(1) Showing up to lift weights and run
(2) Showing up to watch film
(3) Study and LEARN the playbook of the offense being run
(4) As leader of the offense, holding your fellow offensive players accountable for (1) - (3).  This is called leadership.

They don't decide who wins or loses games based on high school recruiting lists and HUDL highlight films.  You have to bust your ass - YOU, personally, must take it upon your to bust your ass - once you arrive on a campus. 

Dajon and Damarcus can frame their high school lists and former offers.  They are nothing but history.  What counts is what you do once someone has made the financial/scholarship investment in you.  No coach can lift weights for you, run for you, watch film for you, or study the playbook for you.  You have to do that yourself. 

McCarney's biggest sin was trusting Canales to find guys who were motivated enough to play QB at this level.  He didn't/couldn't...and, everyone on the coaching staff paid the price with their jobs #attheendoftheday. 

I agree with you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

This.  And Mccarney had other faults too, but this was the biggest...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

This.  And Mccarney had other faults too, but this was the biggest...

Agree.  I'll posit that it was QB and DL that did him in.  We never got better at either of those during his tenure. 

Having a QBs that couldn't complete passes from five yards out on one side of the ball, having a DL that could stop the run or get consistent pass rushing on the other side...it was a huge problem.

Here's to Littrell & Company trying to get those two units better in the future.  That's the battle. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Agree.  I'll posit that it was QB and DL that did him in.  We never got better at either of those during his tenure. 

Having a QBs that couldn't complete passes from five yards out on one side of the ball, having a DL that could stop the run or get consistent pass rushing on the other side...it was a huge problem.

Here's to Littrell & Company trying to get those two units better in the future.  That's the battle. 

That 2013 DL was pretty good.

• Upvote 2