counterpoint to banners

flyonthewall

So is this speculation or have board members and the president indicated to you or anyone else for that matter that they would never consider firing RV under the circumstances? If that is the case then the point of the banner is just so people can get their displeasure heard. I don't see how that hurts the perceptions of our university, when, like others have mentioned, this happens at many other big Universities. You say the reason is because we just fired our head football coach, so when would be good timing for such a move? 

I'd say it's all speculation until the president comes out with an endorsement statement. The President might not like him, but might be forced to keep him. 

• Upvote 1

No, people just love to talk smack and then when are offered an opportunity to come meet people, nobody ever does. I would love to sit down and have a discussion with 90. But I know he'd never do it. 

We are not going to fist fight each other. We can all be adults and have a debate over RV without having to meet in the parking lot after work....

• Upvote 2

No, people just love to talk smack and then when are offered an opportunity to come meet people, nobody ever does. I would love to sit down and have a discussion with 90. But I know he'd never do it. 

Maybe I missed it, but have you asked to have a conversation with him? He is at tailgate with Harry and everyone else and doesn't duck and hide when someone on the board comes to talk to him in my experience... In fact, everyone at the tailgate knows everyone's screen names and we joke or give people a hard time about what they post on here. 

• Upvote 5

Does any body realize or care that one of the men holding a check for 1 million dollars was Brint Ryan?  Our Chairman of the Board of Regents?  Does anyone realize that this was the first football game he has been to since the middle of last year?

Does anyone realize that you don't show up people like Dr. Smastresk in public?  

You guys are going to label yourselves as just plain radicals.  My only comparison is the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, which accomplished nothing.  

I would use my energy and money if I were you on other things, because this banner thing is not going to end well for anybody.  You may feel better and laugh and point while it is flying over, but the public attention that you are going to put on this University is just not worth it.

You are not crapping on RV, you are crapping on Smastresk and Ryan, and they are not going to like it.

You are just giving them a reason to shoot you the metaphorical finger, if they aren't already doing it.

You don't fire a football coach and then an athletic director after that, because somebody has to hire a football coach, so in their mind (pure speculation on my part because I don't talk to either of them) replacing the athletic director was never in the cards.

Not two months after receiving 3 very public gifts over three million dollars, and two private gifts totaling two million more.  It would be crazy.

I know you are going to carry on.  I will touch back with you guys in about 3 months and see what you accomplished besides "flushing more hondos down the drain".

What, no more #itsallajoke posts?

• Downvote 1

I'd say it's all speculation until the president comes out with an endorsement statement. The President might not like him, but might be forced to keep him. 

I'm leaning towards this being a BoR decision because of financial implications and perhaps fear of the unknown which is disappointing. 

No, people just love to talk smack and then when are offered an opportunity to come meet people, nobody ever does. I would love to sit down and have a discussion with 90. But I know he'd never do it. I've literally seen GMG people dodge me. Which makes no sense, I'm not a big guy. :huh:

Dude. I tailgate with Kingdl every game. Come by and crack a beer and have a chat. I will and have talk to anyone on this board about anything UNT sports related. 

• Upvote 3

You are, absolutely. Unfortunately there are not enough like you. There's a lot of people who want to talk big games, instead.

This whole post is because we're doing more than talking.

But if you want to put us to shame with a description of all the things you're doing to improve UNT athletics, here's your golden opportunity.

this

Fly's reaction to this post:

P84luw6.gif

UNT90's reaction to this post:

pv5q0Dg.jpg

RCade's reaction  to this post:

YO64AWV.gif

The 17's (TM) reaction to this post:

eTX0E6E.gif

AllAboutUNT's reaction to this post:

Col263i.gif

President Smatresk's response to this post:

hOwypIQ.gif

My response to this post:

bVq8A.gif

OldGuysStudent's response to this post:

PLTZJRh.gif

RV's response to this post:

umFqEHa.gif

Harry's response to this post:

EpA2VmG.gif

Everyone else, post your response.

• Upvote 6

well I walk it. You can crucify me for saying this.  But I am all in on this athletics department and this university. 

Also, keep in mind this would have never come up if RV hadn't said a "minority" wanted him to resign or get fired. After the poll on this website of the most hardcore fans finished 151-11 for RV to go. 

That was basic giving us a big F you. Well, he gets it back Oct 31. I think he severely underestimated how mad the loss to Portland St made this fan base. And he definitely didn't measure his comments when responding to his accountability.

• Upvote 4

Dude. I tailgate with Kingdl every game. Come by and crack a beer and have a chat. I will and have talk to anyone on this board about anything UNT sports related. 

If you ever decide to move away from drinking just light beer. Let me know, I'll crack open a Shiner or a cold Guinness and talk some UNT sports with a fellow Alumnus!

Edited by GreenTexan13

Oh I think there is plenty that you are missing.  I have stated publicly over and over again where I tailgate.  Not one person has come over and approached.  I have been there at the same spot for 4 plus years.  I start cooking 9 hours before game time, to have food ready 6 hours before game time.  You can talk to me, you can talk to many of these other "17" as we have been labeled.  You can drive by and flip us all the freakin your number one sign for all I care.

I guess the main point I think you are missing is this.  You want R.V. fired?  You got to get the two guys higher up on the chain gone first.  GET IT?  And this banner is only going to piss them off and dig them in deeper.

I do not think you are ignoring me, for all I know I tailgate next to you. I tend to get pretty busy at tailgate and I am there early as well usually by 10:00 am on a 6:00 pm start in the blue lot. Sounds like you get busy at tailgate as well.  I certainly don't want to flip you off. 

I would be willing to listen to what I am missing though. 

I guess the main point I think you are missing is this.  You want R.V. fired?  You got to get the two guys higher up on the chain gone first.  GET IT?  And this banner is only going to piss them off and dig them in deeper.

I hope I have helped you with the being ignored thing in my answer to KING.  It was never part of the equation to fire RV.

If this is true, then it just proves that it's all about cronyism, egos, friendships and covering each other's ass. 

The 17, BOR and president are so out of touch, it's not even funny.

No, people just love to talk smack and then when are offered an opportunity to come meet people, nobody ever does. I would love to sit down and have a discussion with 90. But I know he'd never do it. I've literally seen GMG people dodge me. Which makes no sense, I'm not a big guy. :huh:

How's your breath?  

• Upvote 3

This whole post is because we're doing more than talking.

But if you want to put us to shame with a description of all the things you're doing to improve UNT athletics, here's your golden opportunity.

And fight through thinly veiled intimidation tactics the whole way.

• Upvote 2

No, no it doesn't. It just means this particular tactic won't work and could backfire. 

It could also spur the daily and the DRC to finally take a hard look at RV's job performance record. 

Fly, the DRC has already called for RV's resignation. Why is it so bad that fans are doing the same thing through the only method available? 

When we are told #itsallajoke over and over and over again and then we lose by 59, the most points in history of college football, to an FCS team, do you not expect anger?

And this has not one thing to do with President Smatresk or Britt Ryan. The banner doesn't say "Fire President Smatresk" or "Fire Britt Ryan." So please stop with the intimidation rabbit trails. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6

No, no it doesn't. It just means this particular tactic won't work and could backfire. 

What is the nightmare scenario here if we piss them off? We've already reached the nadir of our football history with the 59-point loss to an FCS team at homecoming and a Sagarin rating of 189, below 52 FCS teams.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 4

I haven't given the department $1 million yet.  But, I just look at the whole situation and don't really care so much that I'd waste money on a public spectacle. 

The bottom line is this, if Rick hadn't done a great number of good things for the department, he'd have been gone long ago.  The truth is, he's done plenty of good.

Now, I thought he was nuts for hiring Todd Dodge.  But...it was what it was.  We did end up with a new stadium, partially because of some of the goodwill that accrued from the local hire of Dodge.  I'm not one of those saying that "Dodge Built Apogee."  I'm just saying, when the dust settled, we had a new stadium...and his last couple of signing classes delivered in 2013.

McCarney brought back a lot of energy.  Our family tumbled over the wall and celebrated at midfield after the "upset" win over Indiana in 2011.  It felt good.  The culmination of those good feelings was the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

The past two years, things just haven't worked out.  I don't see the point in throwing Rick under the bus given all the good he has done - and, is still doing - for the school.

And, again, my reference point in measuring how far we've come is being a student from 1990-95.  It's just night and day different.  Rick has delivered a ton in facilities, given the smaller and women's programs outstanding support, and worked about as hard as he could...with an alumni base that is chock full of a**holes.

90 and I have switched places.  Before Apogee and all the improvements and attention paid to the smaller programs, I was calling for Rick's head and 90 was defending him.  We've switched roles now.  Seeing is believing.

And, I could care less what people say about the basketball and football programs.  When I was a student here, we were playing the nobodies of the Southland Conference.  Many on campus still had a commuter school mentality about the athletics - they didn't care; UNT was just the closest place to continue or finish their education.

It's changed.  Rick is a big part of it.  So, pay for and fly your banner.  I hope you get some nice laughs out of it.  YOLO. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4