Will it take $1,000,000 and an indoor facility?

Wag Tag

No.  If we ever want to catch up with the likes of UTA, we'll have to go at least 15-17 and 16-15 in consecutive season in basketball and build a new arena.  That has caused so many Pakistani, Chinese, and Indian engineering student to apply to UTA, that they literally can't beat them off with a stick!

Football.  Hah!  Who needs new football facilities?  No one in Texas cares about football.  A .500 level basketball program with a new arena is what sucks in students these days, chap!

See, we've gone 30-33 over the past two basketball season in an old arena.  UTA has gone 31-32, but they have a new arena.  The new arena has not only allowed them to win one whole game more than us, but it's opened the flood gates of enrollment.

I know it sounds crazy...Arlington...Cowboy Stadium...bowl games...season opening college football games between nationally known schools...Tech/Baylor...Texas A&M/Arkansas.   You'd think football would be the attention-getter in Arlington; but, really it's UTA basketball. 

We need to get with the Now.  The Hip.  The Happening.  It's basketball, Daddy-O!  Season after season of mediocre basketball played at an engineering haven for far easterners!  That's the only thing that can save this athletic department and the puny university attached to it!

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

I think most of the "up-&-comer" guys out there would be willing to coach for less than $1mil.  And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be demanding an indoor facility.

Now, if Kevin Sumlin said this kind of thing, then yeah!  You gotta make it happen.  But, if it's any of the dudes who have been thrown around on here, neither are going to be necessary to land them. 

• Upvote 2

I think many of you are putting too much emphasis on the money, it's about what the school can do for their career. Every coach has aspirations of great things for their career. If it's a coordinator who knows he needs HC experience in order to get a higher profile HC job, then obviously we are somewhere that he could take a look at rebuilding for a few years and generating some success. The title of head coach means more than the money to many, many coaches. There are only 128 of these jobs, it is not an easy position to find, hence why Malzahn took a $700,000 pay cut to got to Arkansas ST, he knew he needed HC experience to land a better gig.

Some guys are more patient, waiting for the right job and end up at a worse program, see Chad Morris.

Whether it's Malzahn, Freeze, Graham, Briles, Taggart, Addazio or McElwain, they look at mid majors as a launching point to make a bigger name for themselves.  

It's more about can I use this as a jump start to my future head coaching career, and less about how much money can I get out of them.

To think that Lincoln Riley, Briles, Spavital or even an Orlando wouldn't use this as a launching point, is only setting yourself up for failure. Does that mean that they can't come in and right the ship and set us up for future success, absolutely not. If the right guy can come in for three years, recruit their butts off, get the alumni and students excited about football and get us back in a bowl game and move on to better things, I would be very happy with that. If we want an extended tenure of a successful head coach, let's make ourselves attractive to the American. 

Just bring in a guy who wants to make a name for themselves, not ride the coattails of other guys who were successful. I don't want more empty words or excuses, I want a guy who is desperate to win and hungry.

• Upvote 6

I think many of you are putting too much emphasis on the money, it's about what the school can do for their career. Every coach has aspirations of great things for their career. If it's a coordinator who knows he needs HC experience in order to get a higher profile HC job, then obviously we are somewhere that he could take a look at rebuilding for a few years and generating some success. The title of head coach means more than the money to many, many coaches. There are only 128 of these jobs, it is not an easy position to find, hence why Malzahn took a $700,000 pay cut to got to Arkansas ST, he knew he needed HC experience to land a better gig.

Some guys are more patient, waiting for the right job and end up at a worse program, see Chad Morris.

Whether it's Malzahn, Freeze, Graham, Briles, Taggart, Addazio or McElwain, they look at mid majors as a launching point to make a bigger name for themselves.  

It's more about can I use this as a jump start to my future head coaching career, and less about how much money can I get out of them.

To think that Lincoln Riley, Briles, Spavital or even an Orlando wouldn't use this as a launching point, is only setting yourself up for failure. Does that mean that they can't come in and right the ship and set us up for future success, absolutely not. If the right guy can come in for three years, recruit their butts off, get the alumni and students excited about football and get us back in a bowl game and move on to better things, I would be very happy with that. If we want an extended tenure of a successful head coach, let's make ourselves attractive to the American. 

Just bring in a guy who wants to make a name for themselves, not ride the coattails of other guys who were successful. I don't want more empty words or excuses, I want a guy who is desperate to win and hungry.

This. Look at UH for an example. They have produced a SEC head coach and a Big 12 head coach. They have been nationally ranked for numerous years under different coaches. 

UNT hired a guy with a losing record and looking for a retirement job, and treated it as such (all you have to do is look at recruiting), all so we had someone who wouldn't leave us.

We should WANT coaches that will leave for greater things. Hopefully about 10 in a row of them.

But that will never happen until there is a new AD in place.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Launch away. I would be thrilled if we named an up and comer as head coach and he left for a bigger job after 3-4 years following a turnaround of the program. Then we insert successful coordinator or hire another young up and comer and start the cycle again ala Boise State. Remember until 1968 Boise was a junior college and until 1997 was 1AA/FCS. In the years since they have flown by us at light speed. We have the facilities, athletic fee, and DFW recruiting hotbed to follow suit. As long as Neal Smatresk is all in, there is NO reason we cant.

• Upvote 1

This. Look at UN for an example. They have produced a SEC head coach and a Big 12 head coach. They have been nationally ranked for numerous years under different coaches. 

UNT hired a guy with a losing record and looking for a retirement job, and treated it as such (all you have to do is look at recruiting), all so we had someone who wouldn't leave us.

We should WANT coaches that will leave for greater things. Hopefully about 10 in a row of them.

But that will never happen until there is a new AD in place.

I really don't think Mac looked at this job as a retirement gig from a recruiting standpoint. He just sucked at it, mostly because of the offense he stubbornly ran here. Again, fromt he high school coaches I've talked with, they really liked McCarney--they told me they thought he was a very positive and motivating guy that understood their career...but his offense was one that they couldn't relate to and their kids didn't know how to play anymore. That offense was viewed as boring and a bad fit for recruits. That mindset eventually affects recruiting of all aspects of your team because kids see who is going where and where they aren't going.

The next coach has to understand the spread offense, run some form of it here, and help Texas HS coaches and the recruits understand that we now play an offense that resembles the one that 95% of high schools in this state run. Whether its an assistant coach or a previous head coach, its imperative we do that. The biggest problem, though, is that the talent here won't fit real well with that spread offense. But we saw that Dodge was able to take Dickey's Buick offense and get the offensive numbers up very quickly--it will take something very similar here in 2016 for us to see marked improvement on that side of the ball.

Somewhat related, but I was genuinely shocked when RV said on the podcast that an IPF is down the list in terms of priorities. 

I hate the concept of indoor practice facilities.  You learn how to play in inclement weather conditions by practicing in inclement weather conditions.  There might be 2 or 3 days out of the entire year that the team would actually need an IPF to practice.  Otherwise, I think they make teams soft.

I do understand the concept of keeping up with the Joneses for recruiting purposes, and that's by far the main reason even to consider one.

• Upvote 3

Assit Coaches pay and facilities for recruititng increases the HC chnaces for success. The guy that takes the job and everything stays status quo will not be the same caliber of the HC candidate that demanded increase in the budget!

I hate the concept of indoor practice facilities.  You learn how to play in inclement weather conditions by practicing in inclement weather conditions.  There might be 2 or 3 days out of the entire year that the team would actually need an IPF to practice.  Otherwise, I think they make teams soft.

I do understand the concept of keeping up with the Joneses for recruiting purposes, and that's by far the main reason even to consider one.

As an outsider looking in I will give you the reasons that have been brought up by Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern for a indoor practive facility.  Practice time lost due to lighting.  There is a limit on the number of hours per week for practices and team meeting,  when practice has to be stopped because of lighting, that is time that cannot be made up.  Georgia Southern had a player hit by lighting last year while the team was under a covered palivion right beside the practice field.  When practice has to be moved inside to a the rec center (basketball courts) due to lighting, the practice plans change an it is time that cannot be made up. 

Edited by ValleyBoy
  • Upvote 1

As an outsider looking in I will give you the reasons that have been brought up by Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern for a indoor practive facility.  Practice time lost due to lighting.  There is a limit on the number of hours per week for practices and team meeting,  when practice has to be stopped because of lighting, that is time that cannot be made up.  Georgia Southern had a player hit by lighting last year while the team was under a covered palivion right beside the practice field.  When practice has to be moved inside to a the rec center (basketball courts) due to lighting, the practice plans change an it is time that cannot be made up. 

I think the word you are looking for is "lightning."  And yes, I will agree that that happens from time to time.  But not remotely enough to justify a multimillion dollar facility.

• Upvote 1