Run The Ball !!!!'

DeepGreen

We know what we have in quarterbacks......nada.  Leave out the Carlos Harris throw for a TD, our QB's had 167 passing and two pick six.  Not good.  I'm of the opinion the running backs did well considering who we were up against - a pretty good Big 10 defensive line. I thought Wilson and Ivery ran really well and Jimmerson had his moments.  Between the three they accounted for, 179 yards on the ground. Wilson 14-74 for 74 yards, Jimmerson 15-66 for 4.4, and Ivery 6-39 for a 6.5 average.  Now I don't know about a triple option attack that someone else suggested(DeepGreen is not an X's and O's guy, just numbers), but if we do a better job running the ball than passing, let's change what we're doing.  And why not let Smith "hand the ball off", maybe keeping it himself occasionally?  Surely the coaches can put together a base package of plays for Smith to run.  We have some really good running backs.  Let's use the and see where it gets us.  And for the record, let me say that Willie Ivery has some serious talent.  Use him more coach MacCronie.

• Upvote 7

We know what we have in quarterbacks......nada.  Leave out the Carlos Harris throw for a TD, our QB's had 167 passing and two pick six.  Not good.  I'm of the opinion the running backs did well considering who we were up against - a pretty good Big 10 defensive line. I thought Wilson and Ivery ran really well and Jimmerson had his moments.  Between the three they accounted for, 179 yards on the ground. Wilson 14-74 for 74 yards, Jimmerson 15-66 for 4.4, and Ivery 6-39 for a 6.5 average.  Now I don't know about a triple option attack that someone else suggested(DeepGreen is not an X's and O's guy, just numbers), but if we do a better job running the ball than passing, let's change what we're doing.  And why not let Smith "hand the ball off", maybe keeping it himself occasionally?  Surely the coaches can put together a base package of plays for Smith to run.  We have some really good running backs.  Let's use the and see where it gets us.  And for the record, let me say that Willie Ivery has some serious talent.  Use him more coach MacCronie.

Coach MacCronie...love it!

• Upvote 1

But, turnovers aren't acceptable around here.... You fumble you can't run the ball anymore, you throw a pick thats fine as long as you have red hair and are from Iowa. 

• Upvote 4

But, turnovers aren't acceptable around here.... You fumble you can't run the ball anymore, you throw a pick thats fine as long as you have red hair and are from Iowa. 

Do y'all think Smith moves up to the "#2" spot this week?   I mean, surely McCarney & Canales saw the same deer-in-the-headlights we all saw with Greer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do y'all think Smith moves up to the "#2" spot this week?   I mean, surely McCarney & Canales saw the same deer-in-the-headlights we all saw with Greer.

Should he absolutely.  

Will he probably not

So do you want McCarney to have an archaic run first offense or not?

Y'all need to make up your minds.

Since we don't have a quarterback than can chunk the ball accurately, we do need to run the ball more.  So long as MacCronie keeps fresh legs running the ball.  And that means Jimmerson, Wilson, Ivery.  And not necessarily in that order.  Do we still need some passes to keep a defense from stacking the box?  Certainly.

So do you want McCarney to have an archaic run first offense or not?

Y'all need to make up your minds.

Have you watched Auburn lately? They're a run first (power football) team that does it out of shotgun and pistol stuff that still has the ability to stretch the field vertically in the air.  It is not very hard to do, and is something UNT should easily be able to do. 

• Upvote 1

Have you watched Auburn lately? They're a run first (power football) team that does it out of shotgun and pistol stuff that still has the ability to stretch the field vertically in the air.  It is not very hard to do, and is something UNT should easily be able to do. 

I mean I get all that.

McNulty's accuracy was atrocious downfield. Underthrown, overthrown. You have to have the personnel for it. We've got the running backs, we've got the WRs.

All Bad McNulty this weekend.

Edited by Aldo

I mean I get all that.

McNulty's accuracy was atrocious downfield. Underthrown, overthrown. You have to have the personnel for it. We've got the running backs, we've got the WRs.

All Bad McNulty this weekend.

I was going to write up a long post about it, but whatever.

Its a great scenario to bring Smith in for. To throw the ball down the field.

I'd make the switch to Smith. I'd only only throw it 20-25 times a game. At least 10 of those throws would be 20+ yards down the field. You can still hurry to the LOS, but I'd take my time from there. I do what Rice does and use as much time as I could. Doing this means I'm protecting my defense, by putting them on the field less. If we had the 2013 defense this year, they would even struggle some. 

I'd try to create more mismatches for Loving and Smith. I would stop throwing deep balls to Harris. As soon as we get to the red zone I'd put Rutherford in and at least attempt a jump ball.

J Wilson would get 20+ carries a game. Jimmerson and Ivery would split the 20. 

I'd put Harris in the Wild-Eagle and let him make plays passing or running. I'd think about burning the red shirt on Chumley and make him my short yardage Tim Tebow package. 

I'd bring back some 3 TE sets.

Until we can show that we can score 30-40 points a game there is no reason to go up-tempo. Up-Tempo + 17.7 Points per Game= No W's

• Upvote 5

I'd make the switch to Smith. I'd only only throw it 20-25 times a game. At least 10 of those throws would be 20+ yards down the field. You can still hurry to the LOS, but I'd take my time from there. I do what Rice does and use as much time as I could. Doing this means I'm protecting my defense, by putting them on the field less. If we had the 2013 defense this year, they would even struggle some. 

I'd try to create more mismatches for Loving and Smith. I would stop throwing deep balls to Harris. As soon as we get to the red zone I'd put Rutherford in and at least attempt a jump ball.

I'd put Harris in the Wild-Eagle and let him make plays passing or running. I'd think about burning the red shirt on Chumley and make him my short yardage Tim Tebow package. 

Until we can show that we can score 30-40 points a game there is no reason to go up-tempo. Up-Tempo + 17.7 Points per Game= No W's

I agree with almost all of this, with the exception of burning Chumley's redshirt. This is not a season worth burning anyone's red shirts. But it is a season worth seeing what Chumley and Dillman could do at QB in practice. But that's about as likely as Coach Mccarney starting Smith this week just because Mcnulty did not have a good performance in a paycheck game.

I agree with almost all of this, with the exception of burning Chumley's redshirt. This is not a season worth burning anyone's red shirts. But it is a season worth seeing what Chumley and Dillman could do at QB in practice. But that's about as likely as Coach Mccarney starting Smith this week just because Mcnulty did not have a good performance in a paycheck game.

Yeah I know just thinking outside the box, something our coaches dont do.

• Upvote 1

I agree, except I am giving Willie 15 touches a game minimum (kid is a playmaker) and Jimmy show between 5-10 depending on how he's performing.  While I realize this falls in your 20 split, I would personally lean more towards Ivery than Jimmy. 

• Upvote 2

Good list. On the TE thing, it's so strange to me that now that we have two good pass catching TE's, we've completely gone away from running the ball with two tight end sets. Seems like it would be easier to get those guys open for big plays if they were lined up on the line of scrimmage and then release on LB's. Instead, you see them lined out wide like WR's and being covered by the nickel backs.

Good list. On the TE thing, it's so strange to me that now that we have two good pass catching TE's, we've completely gone away from running the ball with two tight end sets. Seems like it would be easier to get those guys open for big plays if they were lined up on the line of scrimmage and then release on LB's. Instead, you see them lined out wide like WR's and being covered by the nickel backs.

Your goal as an OC should be to create mismatches and advantages through scheme, formations, and motions. We seemed to have forgotten how to do this. There are so many unique things we could be doing with personnel and formations. Yet we chose to be basic, maybe thats bc there is no trust in the QB. 

How many of ya'll would like to see a 22 personnel set of 

Wilson & Ivery @ RB

Loving & Smith @ TE

Harris or Smiley or Goree or Rutherford or Thompson @ WR 

To me it wouldnt matter who the WR is, you could do so much with the other guys. You could even do this out of a Gun formation

What about 

Gun Formation

Wilson RB

Smith & Loving on one side of the formation

& Harris + Smiley on the other