SMU Helmet for NT Game

Cerebus

Yeah, right. I'm not saying it shouldn't be — they hated losing last year in Denton — but SMU fans aren't the ones hanging billboards and making t-shirts about beating UNT. If you asked SMU fans to rank all 12 games by importance, UNT would rank 11th or 12th (toss-up with James Madison). 

That said, last year's game showed that this year's game will be anything but a cakewalk, so there's no overconfidence, either. Hopefully the players are ready.

whatever helps you sleep at night. 

Yeah, right. I'm not saying it shouldn't be — they hated losing last year in Denton — but SMU fans aren't the ones hanging billboards and making t-shirts about beating UNT. If you asked SMU fans to rank all 12 games by importance, UNT would rank 11th or 12th (toss-up with James Madison). 

That said, last year's game showed that this year's game will be anything but a cakewalk, so there's no overconfidence, either. Hopefully the players are ready.

You're making it sound like it would be beneath SMU to do that.  What's wrong with a little marketing and pub going out to people that may otherwise not pay attention?  

That said SMU does care about this game as do all the fans and alumni and there is no way in hell this is ranked 11th or 12th...that's just laughable.  Some say SMU people don't care about this game but I assure you if NT leaves Ford with a W the fans will be irate and embarrassed.  If they didn't care wouldn't they just be apathetic?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guys, they'll always act like it's not an important, not a rivalry to them, we're beneathe them, etc. etc.   But, if we kick the sh*t outta them 2 years in a row, and in THEIR stadium, I ASSURE you, it will at that point become a rivalry to them.   It's time they lose to us in their house.  

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 4

giphy.gif

f7P0I.gif?noredirect

You're making it sound like it would be beneath SMU to do that.  What's wrong with a little marketing and pub going out to people that may otherwise not pay attention?  

That said SMU does care about this game as do all the fans and alumni and there is no way in hell this is ranked 11th or 12th...that's just laughable.  Some say SMU people don't care about this game but I assure you if NT leaves Ford with a W the fans will be irate and embarrassed.  If they didn't care wouldn't they just be apathetic?

STOP USING LOGIC, JEEBUS!

• Upvote 1

You're right. They probably don't think this game is big for them but the reality is that they compete more for recruits with us then they do with TCU or Baylor. That's fine if they overlook us but they're only fooling themselves.

I don't think anyone — most importantly, the players and coaches — are overlooking this game. Hard to do that after a 1-11 season, especially considering the outcome of last year's game in Denton.

Your comment about the recruits (re: UNT/TCU/Baylor) is irrelevant, although correct, at least for now. All I'm saying is that beyond the "next game is the most important game" theory that coaches try to instill in their players, SMU doesn't see this as a big game. Not saying it is or isn't — just that that's the perception.

I would think it has something to do with 9-11, plus, SMU like a lot of schools, has shown they have several different uniforms for this season.

Yup — the helmet is in recognition of 9/11. Wouldn't be surprised if Dubbya is there for the coin toss, too. (I don't know that. Just guessing.)

• Upvote 1

The general "meh" attitude with which a city of millions treats them on game day already does this.

That's true when it comes to football but they certainly care about SMU basketball now. Also, ten years ago no one in DFW cared about TCU football. If we start beating schools people care about, they'll start paying attention, just like in hoops. 

• Upvote 3

You are ever so right.  The 8-10 threads about the "NTSU" game on ponyfans.com (or the fact that several are in direct response to threads here) shows how inconsequential this game is.

No question SMU fans want to win, but they see UNT like TCU sees SMU (put down the torches and pitchforks — hear me out). TCU acts as if they can't be bothered with little old SMU, but you can your last dime that they would throw up if SMU beat the Froggies. Same with SMU/UNT. SMU fans obviously want to win and would gag if they lost, and the "NTSU" stuff is nothing more than a dig at this week's opponent. Next week PonyFans.com will be full of "I hate TCU" talk.

This week is no Super Bowl to SMU, although think that if it helps. Honestly, after last year, every game is big, but UNT is no bigger than any other. OK, maybe James Madison, but that's it.

You are ever so right.  The 8-10 threads about the "NTSU" game on ponyfans.com (or the fact that several are in direct response to threads here) shows how inconsequential this game is.

Again, this game is important but we have 8-10 threads about whatever opponent we're playing that week, and there are always PF poster that visit the site of the team we are playing. It's definitely not unique to UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No question SMU fans want to win, but they see UNT like TCU sees SMU (put down the torches and pitchforks — hear me out). TCU acts as if they can't be bothered with little old SMU, but you can your last dime that they would throw up if SMU beat the Froggies. Same with SMU/UNT. SMU fans obviously want to win and would gag if they lost, and the "NTSU" stuff is nothing more than a dig at this week's opponent. Next week PonyFans.com will be full of "I hate TCU" talk.

This week is no Super Bowl to SMU, although think that if it helps. Honestly, after last year, every game is big, but UNT is no bigger than any other. OK, maybe James Madison, but that's it.

Maybe the 2nd half of the week.   Saturday evening through about Wednesday will be a bunch of lamenting, "what happened?!?" threads.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

It seems like we're saying the same thing, but just saying it differently. Yes, without question, SMU cares about this (and every) game, and malonish is right that if UNT wins, SMU fans will be irate. But would SMU prefer a win over UNT to a massive upset over TCU or Baylor? Of course not. Over a conference win? Of course not. That leaves James Madison, and UNT would be above them because of proximity, recruiting, etc. So yes — SMU wants to win. All I'm saying is that this game is far from a Super Bowl-type game to SMU. Of course they would hate to lose, just like UNT fans would hate to lose to SMU. 

That said, let's hope the series continues for years to come.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

It seems like we're saying the same thing, but just saying it differently. Yes, without question, SMU cares about this (and every) game, and malonish is right that if UNT wins, SMU fans will be irate. But would SMU prefer a win over UNT to a massive upset over TCU or Baylor? Of course not. Over a conference win? Of course not. That leaves James Madison, and UNT would be above them because of proximity, recruiting, etc. So yes — SMU wants to win. All I'm saying is that this game is far from a Super Bowl-type game to SMU. Of course they would hate to lose, just like UNT fans would hate to lose to SMU. 

That said, let's hope the series continues for years to come.

ok. 

Suer Bowl

The difference is we actually win against the team that thinks they're better than us. TCU is levels above SMU. It's plain and simple....you don't compete against them. It doesn't matter how much money you have.

The difference is we actually win against the team that thinks they're better than us. TCU is levels above SMU. It's plain and simple....you don't compete against them. It doesn't matter how much money you have.

SMU beat TCU in 2011 and kept them from going to a BCS bowl. And what does money have to do with anything??