Texas State Gets 2 for 1 With Baylor

DeepGreen

I understand your sentiment, but the schedule is already set for, what, 5 years? You are asking people to commit to supporting an AD that's been here 14 years, has already set the schedule until next decade, and has overseen the destruction of a rising basketball program. Not to mention the number of lies/misinformation put out by that office and their apparent lackadaisical attitudes toward promotion of the games and growing booster support.

Thats a very tall order, and judging by the MGC numbers, an order nearly all of the alumni are unwilling to fill.

The answer to your question is "YES", because even if Rick were fired tomorrow and we convinced DeLoss Dodds to hop on board, the ink is still on all of those contracts.  We're playing all of those games.  Period.

It doesn't matter who the A.D. is.

Also, he hired and extended (twice) the dude who took the b-ball program to its heights.   I get the poor track record of coaching hires in the revenue sports... everyone sees it.   Even worse, everyone sees that we do not have the budget (re: boosters) to buy-out those terrible deals until it's too late.

There is absolutely no reason as to why we can't draw 25K a game. It doesn't matter if we're playing FIU, FAU, Maine, Portland St, etc. The atmosphere at Apogee should be a premiere G5 atmosphere in the country given the dynamics of the university. Massive student body, massive local alum base, great geographical location and a program that has gone 13-12 over the last 2 years. I'm in the group that truly believes that a solid game day atmosphere in the stadium can will a team to victory. We have to start doing our part and go to games, all of them. The Smut game has to be dominated in the stands and on the field and we have to show up vs Rice regardless of kickoff time. There is a legitimate shot to start 2-0 and that 2-0 could very well thrust the team into a positive mindset and a winning season. 

We've had our differences about little "d" but kudos to you for one of the most positive posts I've seen in years! I just hope you can find fans and townsfolk who will listen to your message. I have had a like message for 40 years to athletic dept., many A.D.s, faculty , Presidents, Foundation, Alumni Association, and Dentonites --- so far none have the big picture of why the $$$$ are not there. Be there early, be in the stands not the parking lot, support our team with noise and enthusiasm, show game day spirit with flags around the square, banners on streets and on campus presence.

I dont have a solution for our season ticket woes and i cant help by buying some. I live 5 hours away and usually can only get to Denton once. So that one game is super important to me. Only having 5 options this year and one of them being an FCS school is very depressing. There is no way in 9 hells that im wasting my trip up on an FCS school. So really i just have 4 options. I have no solutions, but something must change.

• Upvote 2

What is so bad about a 5 game home schedule every couple of years, especially if one of our road games is at SMU, which is basically a neutral site game? What is so great about a home game against Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Portland State, Lamar, Liberty, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian? If you say, its because we get to watch our team or because we get to tailgate one more time in Denton, that mindset is exactly why we have what we have right now, schedule-wise and AD-wise. In theory, we could've scheduled another home-and-home series against non-FCS teams, just to get a decent team here that is, at least, equal to Army and SMU--that's how low my bar here is for RV and scheduling. You don't even have to get a P5--get a G5 school from the MAC, MWC, or the AAC--just stop with the FCS stuff. Paying money to buy that FCS opponent here is asinine, especially if we need the cash.

RV has the easiest AD job in America--and it ain't close. You don't have to win in revenue sports, you don't have to bring in more money, you don't have to increase the attendance measurably, and you don't have to schedule anyone with name recognition to Denton. All you have to do is keep tailgating open, schedule SMU, schedule FCS schools, and stay in budget and you are not just good to go--you get a lifetime job as the AD, making hundreds of thousands of dollars every year, plus great retirement benefits.

At the beginning of 2013, before the season, I stated that I would walk away from this place if we didn't see solid improvement in the two sports I care about within 5 years--football and mens basketball. All of the bad hires and accepted losing from the BOR just had just beaten me down to a point where if I cared more about winning than they did, why continue? Well, they turned in a magical 2013 football season--the best I have ever enjoyed as a UNT fan. Because of that season, that told me that they did their part. SO I am here to stay as a fan. But last year's football season, lack of recruiting success, stupid comments from the coach and AD, basketball season, and keeping Benford, just reiterate the fact that you either accept it as it is here or you leave--that is the choice. We are all in the minority on this one--being the 2% that care enough to even follow the team. And the BOR and chancellor are COMPLETELY fine with that. If Smatresk cannot make any changes with this, that should confirm to everyone how little that winning matters here. And, again, if it doesn't matter to the ones in charge, why in the world should we expect the fanbase to even grow, much less give financially? In 14 years, the answer has been pretty clear, at least it has been to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I dont have a solution for our season ticket woes and i cant help by buying some. I live 5 hours away and usually can only get to Denton once. So that one game is super important to me. Only having 5 options this year and one of them being an FCS school is very depressing. There is no way in 9 hells that im wasting my trip up on an FCS school. So really i just have 4 options. I have no solutions, but something must change.

Sadly, after 14 years of RV, and decades of apathy, the only thing that will change is probably you not wanting to make that drive anymore. Nothing is going to change here on this--because winning and growing the program just doesn't matter enough to the UNT family. I hate it--it should be 100% different than this. 

ZF3bcbK.gif

Enjoy the game against Portland State this year--and Lamar, Liberty, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian, then...you'll have plenty of room to celebrate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Enjoy the game against Portland State this year--and Lamar, Liberty, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian, then...you'll have plenty of room to celebrate.

1) No reason we can't have the SMU game away AND six true home games.

2) I've documented it before, but Boise St became Boise St by absolutely loading up on FCS and bottom tier FBS schools and rolling them.  I have zero problem doing the same.  Roll up several years of 8,9 and 10 wins and no one is really going to care that each year had a FCS team win.  

3) Any win at home encourages students to become diehards.  Do you think most of the incoming freshman know there is any difference between FIU and Portland State?  Or Texas Southern and Middle Tennessee?  They don't.  Make sure they have a great time at the game and WIN and they will be back as young alumni.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The answer to your question is "YES", because even if Rick were fired tomorrow and we convinced DeLoss Dodds to hop on board, the ink is still on all of those contracts.  We're playing all of those games.  Period.

Also, he hired and extended (twice) the dude who took the b-ball program to its heights.   I get the poor track record of coaching hires in the revenue sports... everyone sees it.   Even worse, everyone sees that we do not have the budget (re: boosters) to buy-out those terrible deals until it's too late.

Well, since he got one coaching hire right we should give him a medal and have the NT dancers go everywhere with him and throw roses at his feet.

I want Mac to work out here, but if/when he does what is left for us to do for RV, make the linemen carry him around like pharoahs of old?

Sorry, but I do not agree that the SMU and/or Army series are negatives. 

The root of our scheduling issues is due to the body bag game. Eliminate the body bag game and we magically have the opportunity to schedule 2 additional H/H series while still keeping the SMU/Army series. 

We have to somehow find the money to eliminate the annual game tha is causing the issue. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Not just season tickets but we just need people to consistently show up.  The stadium needs to be something like 80 - 90% full for all games to provide the needed income.

We need to be winning 80-90% of our games each season to build up that solid attendance.

I hope all the posters complaining about a 5 game home schedule, and Portland State, and Lamar, and no 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 are buying season tickets. 

So now people have to go buy season tickets to go see UNT play an FCS squash game? This season's home schedule could of very well be a season ticket holder's nightmare.... I'm not saying I would ever boycott our games, but a casual fan isn't going to sign up to see UNT play Portland State....

• Upvote 2

I realize this is a hypothetical, but even in a hypothetical I don't want Deloss Dodds...have you seen what kind of mess he left UT in? His hubris and lack of foresight knew no bounds

No to RV, and no to Dodds

• Upvote 2

2) I've documented it before, but Boise St became Boise St by absolutely loading up on FCS and bottom tier FBS schools and rolling them.  I have zero problem doing the same.  Roll up several years of 8,9 and 10 wins and no one is really going to care that each year had a FCS team win.  

3) Any win at home encourages students to become diehards.  Do you think most of the incoming freshman know there is any difference between FIU and Portland State?  Or Texas Southern and Middle Tennessee?  They don't.  Make sure they have a great time at the game and WIN and they will be back as young alumni.

Loading up on one FCS team and bottom tier FBS schools is okay if you're able to use those wins to recruit good players and develop talent. Which is something we are waiting on this staff to do. It also is the long term approach to building a program. And who knows how long CUSA will allow programs to play FCS schools. 

I agree students want to see victories and it doesnt matter who we play. Students are what make the college football atmosphere.

No question Coach Mac was the right guy for the job. He dug us out of a deep black hole, but I question if he is the right guy to get us to the next level. If you hire the right guy at a G5 school he should be able to come in right away and turn things around. It shouldnt be year 5 and we are still waiting on the sleeping giant to be awoken. Yes 2013 was nice and great, but it was a team/roster that I believe a lot of coaches could have won with. I appreciate the passion that Coach Mac coaches with. I appreciate what he has done for North Texas, but I dont see him taking North Texas to a level that we all want to see. I could be wrong and wouldn't mind being wrong. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 2

Sorry, but I do not agree that the SMU and/or Army series are negatives. 

The root of our scheduling issues is due to the body bag game. Eliminate the body bag game and we magically have the opportunity to schedule 2 additional H/H series while still keeping the SMU/Army series. 

We have to somehow find the money to eliminate the annual game tha is causing the issue. 

The solution to fixing the annual bodybag game is comically simple.  We just have to fill up Apogee for every home game.  With our people. 

We have the ability to do this within our own control.  That is what is so tragic.  If 40,000 UNT alums and students for some miraculous reason decided to show up on home game day we would not have this problem.  Period.

Look I get it.  It isn't as easy as I make it out to be.  I've been here long enough and I realize our issues with winning, apathy, etc.  

Here's the thing though - WE HAVE THE NUMBERS! That is what is so frustrating.  I don't belive the 250K alumns figure quoted in the DFW area by the way.  I'd say you slash that number down to 50,000 "somewhat interested" fans and that is what you are looking to target.  

But... HOD bowl.  What was that???  Where the F are those people?  Sometimes I just don't get it.  How can we have close to 40K people show up for this game and then.. Disappear? 

The FCS games are not a bad thing....

Week 1

VMI @ Ball St, New Hampshire @ San Jose, UC Davis @ Nevada, Southern Utah @ Utah State, Villanova @ Connecticut, Alcorn St @ Ga Tech, Rhode Island @ Syracuse, Weber St @ Oregon St, Fordham @ Army, Elon @ Wake Forest, Stony Brook @ Toledo, Tennessee-Martin @ Ole Miss, Wofford @ Clemson, Southeast Mizzou @ Mizzou, Mcneese St @ LSU, Eastern Washington @ Oregon, South Dakota St @ Kansas, Illinois St @ Iowa, Albany @ Buffalo, Bethune-Cook @ MIami, Richmond @ Maryland, Youngstown St @ Pitt, Sam Houston @ Texas Tech, Gardner Webb @ South Alabama, Southern @ La Tech, Alabama A&M @ Cincinnati, Florida A&M @ USF, Jackson St @ MTSU, South Dakota @ Kansas St, Northern Iowa @ Iowa St, Mizzou St @ Memphis, San Diego @ San Diego St, Tennessee Tech @ Houston, Towson @ ECU, Grambling @ Cal, Savannah St @ Colorado St, Southern Illinois @ Indiana, Mississippi Valley St @ New Mexico, Morgan St @ Air Force and of course nutsack @ Arizona.....This is literally just week 1. There is no telling how many more of these games are happening in week 2-3-4-etc. We are getting in on the FCS action in order to rack up a W and more importantly build our confidence. 

• Upvote 1

That's in Boise, not Texas near a major pro market. And to your third point, you're right but not for the reason you think. FIU and MTSU bring as much notoriety as the other 2 to most people. Students - if they care about sports at all - want to play teams they've heard of and schools where their friends go. The students who don't know any better are the same ones who disappear after they graduate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's in Boise, not Texas near a major pro market. And to your third point, you're right but not for the reason you think. FIU and MTSU bring as much notoriety as the other 2 to most people. Students - if they care about sports at all - want to play teams they've heard of and schools where their friends go. The students who don't know any better are the same ones who disappear after they graduate. 

Forget it, James329--they won't get it. These people like to tailgate and be with their buddies for UNT games. Apparently, that's all that matters. In the end, they all get what they want anyway, 6 home games going forward, with SMU coming every other year, as well as Army.

We continue to get what we deserve. And then we wonder why 98% of all alumni walk away, never to be heard from again. Its just a travesty--I mean we beat Texas Southern at home in 2012, which sounds similar to Texas State, which is good because apparently the students don't know the difference in schools like these. I bet the lifelong fans we made from that huge win are going to really push this thing upwards in 2042 with all kinds of donations!! Same with last year--we killed Nicholls State 77-3--I bet the students that saw that game were just completely impressed and have become lifelong fans because of it!! Man, the 2040s are going to rock around here--we are gonna be rolling in the $$$ then. And this year, with mighty Portland State coming to town--and it being Homecoming--man I bet its gonna be a sellout for sure!! No telling how many more lifelong fans we are gonna get from whipping yet another FCS team--since the students don't know the difference and will probably think we just beat Oregon State instead!!

• Downvote 1

Forget it, James329--they won't get it. These people like to tailgate and be with their buddies for UNT games. Apparently, that's all that matters. In the end, they all get what they want anyway, 6 home games going forward, with SMU coming every other year, as well as Army.

We continue to get what we deserve. And then we wonder why 98% of all alumni walk away, never to be heard from again. Its just a travesty--I mean we beat Texas Southern at home in 2012, which sounds similar to Texas State, which is good because apparently the students don't know the difference in schools like these. I bet the lifelong fans we made from that huge win are going to really push this thing upwards in 2042 with all kinds of donations!! Same with last year--we killed Nicholls State 77-3--I bet the students that saw that game were just completely impressed and have become lifelong fans because of it!! Man, the 2040s are going to rock around here--we are gonna be rolling in the $$$ then. And this year, with mighty Portland State coming to town--and it being Homecoming--man I bet its gonna be a sellout for sure!! No telling how many more lifelong fans we are gonna get from whipping yet another FCS team--since the students don't know the difference and will probably think we just beat Oregon State instead!!

Refer back to my last post. 

Refer back to my last post. 

How many of those schools listed have an attendance problem and a revenue problem like we do? Even if you can name a handful, we aren't legally required to be that stupid, too. We could have done something better than what we have done, but we didn't, so you and the vast majority of fans here get what you want.

I am not a fan of playing FCS schools unless you are really good--we aren't, nor have we been, save for 2013, in the last 10 years. Beating Texas Southern did nothing for us in 2012, beating Nicholls State did nothing for us in 2014, and beating Portland State this year won't either, except keep us from going 0-12 if we cannot beat SMU in the opener. But, again, that's what is fine with you all, just like getting SMU for a longtime series, and opening up tailgating. The only problem with that line of thinking is that you give the BOR even more ammunition to keep RV happy as their AD. #UNTADforlife

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

I bet the students that saw that game were just completely impressed and have become lifelong fans because of it!! Man, the 2040s are going to rock around here--we are gonna be rolling in the $$$ then. And this year, with mighty Portland State coming to town--and it being Homecoming--man I bet its gonna be a sellout for sure!! No telling how many more lifelong fans we are gonna get from whipping yet another FCS team--since the students don't know the difference and will probably think we just beat Oregon State instead!!

This is so truthful, it almost stinks of Abraham Lincoln. (I know bad joke, but I try)

The student's will always fill out their side of the stadium, if we are going to crush the almighty Incarnate Word or Lamar. So yeah.... playing an FCS could be considered good in that part....

But........ As you can see in any successful college football stadium in the nation, there is a vast majority of alumni and casual fans filing that stadium too. I'm not much of a fan for seeing and hearing the one side of the stadium during the NORTH TEXAS chant being louder on one word over the other. This year's FCS game crowd might be helped due to homecoming/best home game in 2015....

How many of those schools listed have an attendance problem and a revenue problem like we do? Even if you can name a handful, we aren't legally required to be that stupid, too. We could have done something better than what we have done, but we didn't, so you and the vast majority of fans here get what you want.

I am not a fan of playing FCS schools unless you are really good--we aren't, nor have we been, save for 2013, in the last 10 years. Beating Texas Southern did nothing for us in 2012, beating Nicholls State did nothing for us in 2014, and beating Portland State this year won't either, except keep us from going 0-12 if we cannot beat SMU in the opener. But, again, that's what is fine with you all, just like getting SMU for a longtime series, and opening up tailgating. The only problem with that line of thinking is that you give the BOR even more ammunition to keep RV happy as their AD. #UNTADforlife

Wait, so when we suck (which is often) you don't want us to play FCS opponents to try to work things out, create some missing chemistry, give guys a "break" in practice, heal some wounds from previous games, etc. But, you want us to play FCS opponents only when we are good so we can absolutely clobber them while gaining absolutely nothing from it? 

Also, the majority of teams I named in the week 1 match ups have attendance issues. FCS games gives us 5 locked in home games and starting next year when Army hits the schedule we will have 6 locked in home games for the foreseeable future. Listen, I am not a fan of the scheduling debacle that is North Texas, but the FCS opponent is the least of our worries in scheduling and non-scheduling. We have to win and win vs whoever we play whether it be FCS, P5, G5, conference games, etc. We just have to win more games than we lose and things will work themselves out. Attendance will get better if we start beating our Thursday night opponent, IMO. 2013, huge Thursday night game and it was a huge win for the program, if not the biggest over the last 3-4-5 years. 2014, the Thursday night game was a huge game as well as it was televised vs a conference foe from right down the road and we sucked it up massively. That loss took the wind out of the teams sails and absolutely squashed any hope for the 2014 season. 2015, same picture. A probably ranked, conference opponent comes into Apogee on Thursday night which will probably televised and it is a game that is in my mind a make or break kind of platform. Bottom line is, win. 

If, big if I know, we wind up 6-6 and go to a bowl game, would you still say the same thing?  Because 1 of those 6 wins will likely be Portland St.

The fact of the matter is that we need the paycheck game. There's nothing we can do about that.

The problem is the Army series. We can control that. If RV didn't lock us in with Army until 2021, we'd have the freedom to schedule 1-1s.

Until at least 2022 we won't see a OOC FBS team other than SMU and Army, I don't think any other school in the country has a schedule like this.

The Army series is dumb, it should have only been a 1-1.

There's nothing to pay for if it's a 1-1 and if our AD has a clue.

Interesting enough Rice has Army scheduled like we do out until 2021.  Instead of SMU they have Houston.  They did sign 2-1's with Stanford and Baylor.

I like the Army series.  What I want is for our program to have the cash to drop to 1 "opportunity" game a season and fill that spot with low level P5's and interesting G5's.  I liked the Ohio, Ball st, Indiana games we had.  Our attendance says most "fans" could have cared less.  That needs to change