GMG.com Twit my Tweet 8.2.15

Harry

Are you suggesting that they're a more attractive opponent than Incarnate Word?   Surely you jest.

psh... We got Portland State, I'm counting my blessings right now. I can't wait until we play Abilene Christian too... Incarnate Word is just the icing on the cake my friend...

don't tell RV that we are excited, I hear he'll schedule P5's to come play us in Apogee if he hears our excitement about Incarnate Word.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe there is any reason to play them. We already play utsa, rice and smu. No need to play another texas team. Not  much of a benefit to us. 

How about more NT fan attendance for one? SWTSU-SM would bring more folks to our stadium than Portland State, Liberty, and Incarnate Word combined. Also, we would take more fans to their stadium than we would to Iowa, Tennessee, Florida, and Army combined.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

How about more NT fan attendance for one? SWTSU-SM would bring more folks to our stadium than Portland State, Liberty, and Incarnate Word combined. Also, we would take more fans to there stadium than we would to Iowa, Tennessee, Florida, and Army combined.

There are too many other options thay would  also bring fans. Most regional P5 schools would  bring more fans. We compete with texas state for recruits. Losing could mean the loss of a few good players. 

• Upvote 3

There are too many other options thay would  also bring fans. Most regional P5 schools would  bring more fans. We compete with texas state for recruits. Losing could mean the loss of a few good players. 

I don't think being afraid to lose is a legitimate reason not to play them.

I think a series with TxState would be a great benefit for both teams.

• Upvote 3

Losing to a regional P5 doesn't hurt recruiting? Based on your rationale, we shouldn't even be in CUSA where we could lose to UTSA and Rice. Guess it is back to the Sun Belt for us, oh wait, SWTSU-SM is there. Mountain West anybody? Conversely, if we play and beat Tx State, it could only help our recruiting, no?

I want to play Texas teams because it is exciting and gets more Texans (hello, our recruiting base) talking about us than beating a bad FCS school or getting smoked by a P5 team a thousand miles away.

• Upvote 2

How about more NT fan attendance for one? SWTSU-SM would bring more folks to our stadium than Portland State, Liberty, and Incarnate Word combined. Also, we would take more fans to their stadium than we would to Iowa, Tennessee, Florida, and Army combined.

@Harry , this would be a GREAT topic to bring up with RV whenever he comes on the podcast. Why are we bringing in the likes of Liberty and Incarnate Word when we have TXST trying to play us?

• Upvote 3

I don't think being afraid to lose is a legitimate reason not to play them.

I think a series with TxState would be a great benefit for both teams.

We have more to lose than they do. It would only be good for us if we played them in Apogee and beat them. We should not be giving them a return game.

Losing to a regional P5 doesn't hurt recruiting? Based on your rationale, we shouldn't even be in CUSA where we could lose to UTSA and Rice. Guess it is back to the Sun Belt for us, oh wait, SWTSU-SM is there. Mountain West anybody? Conversely, if we play and beat Tx State, it could only help our recruiting, no?

I want to play Texas teams because it is exciting and gets more Texans (hello, our recruiting base) talking about us than beating a bad FCS school or getting smoked by a P5 team a thousand miles away.

We hold an advantage for TX ST since we are in a better conference. We do not have that advantage over our conference mates (Rice and UTSA). Losing to a lesser G5 team could/does hurt recruiting.

A better argument is that this position is no different than when SMU or TCU wouldn't play us for the same reason.

• Upvote 3

A better argument is that this position is no different than when SMU or TCU wouldn't play us for the same reason.

That seems reason enough to me. I don't want to act like SMU in any way. I think if they want to play, we should smack them around the field for 4 quarters. 

I don't see much of a benefit of playing them. I would much rather focus on playing a P5 school that we can beat or is regional. If we lose to a P5 school it is not big deal ( don't lose recruits), we beat them then we have something to tout about to the recruits. I am not sure we would smack them (txst) around anyway. We haven't beaten UTSA. 

How about we focus on a 1 for1 or a 2 for 1 with OSU, OU, A&M, UT, TCU,Baylor?Drivable games that would be bring large crowds and show recuits you can play the "big boys" at home. If you were a recruit would you rather play Txst at home or a P5? For me it is no question.  I would much rather play a P5 at Apogee. A metroplex rivarly be great against smu, and tcu. I  doubt tcu would  be interested for the reason  I stated earlier.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1

The day we are able to bring a team like A&M or OU to Apogee, I will eat a bowl of cinnamon. 

OU went to tulsa in 2014, Utep in 2012, Cincinnati in 2010. 

A&M @ SMU in 2014 and 2012, LA Tech 2012 and New Mexico in 2008. 

So it is possible. 

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1

I don't see much of a benefit of playing them. I would much rather focus on playing a P5 school that we can beat or is regional. If we lose to a P5 school it is not big deal ( don't lose recruits), we beat them then we have something to tout about to the recruits. I am not sure we would smack them (txst) around anyway. We haven't beaten UTSA. 

How about we focus on a 1 for1 or a 2 for 1 with OSU, OU, A&M, UT, TCU,Baylor?Drivable games that would be bring large crowds and show recuits you can play the "big boys" at home. If you were a recruit would you rather play Txst at home or a P5? For me it is no question.  I would much rather play a P5 at Apogee. A metroplex rivarly be great against smu, and tcu. I  doubt tcu would  be interested for the reason  I stated earlier.

RV has said he'd love to bring P5's to Apogee, but doesn't have any desire to play the regional P5s you've mentioned. Let's be honest, it would essentially be a home game for the other team and would just be embarrassing for our program. 

• Upvote 2

Ok I'll refine my bet to say "While RV is in charge".

In that case, you are correct and I will join  the bet. I will also eat  a bowl of cinnamon if RV brings in 1 of those programs to Apogee. No way it happens under RV.

RV has said he'd love to bring P5's to Apogee, but doesn't have any desire to play the regional P5s you've mentioned. Let's be honest, it would essentially be a home game for the other team and would just be embarrassing for our program. 

I don't believe RV is capable of bringing in those teams and is under no pressure to make a better schedule. I also don't think it would be a home game for the other team. We already average around 20,000 without big name programs showing at Apogee. 

This brings me back to original post that is possible to bring in P5 schools to Apogee,  and it would benefit us more  then a series with  TX ST.

• Upvote 2

In that case, you are correct and I will join  the bet. I will also eat  a bowl of cinnamon if RV brings in 1 of those programs to Apogee. No way it happens under RV.

I don't believe RV is capable of bringing in those teams and is under no pressure to make a better schedule. I also don't think it would be a home game for the other team. We already average around 20,000 without big name programs showing at Apogee. 

This brings me back to original post that is possible to bring in P5 schools to Apogee,  and it would benefit us more  then a series with  TX ST.

No it wouldn't. How is a butt kicking from OU at Apogee in front of a 50/50 crowd (at best) more beneficial than a competitive game against another in-state G5 school?

I agree, RV sucks at putting together good schedules, but it's not because we don't play the likes of UT and A&M at home. Lets examine SMU's last two attempts:

2007 vs Texas Tech: Loss 49-9...by the 2nd half the stadium was echoing with the "Raider Power" chant

2012 vs Texas A&M: Loss 48-3...in front of pro Aggie crowd.

Care to explain how these games were beneficial for SMU?

None of those schools have anything to gain by playing us in our stadium. They play in much larger games at Jerry World or the Cotton Bowl. They also don't want to end up like K-State and skate out of our stadium with a slim victory. You same rationale for not playing TxSt is theirs for not playing us. Tech won't play us because we beat them in Lubbock, and Baylor won't because we beat them in our place. They would only schedule us if it is a guaranteed W. I think that is the coward's way out and we should face all-comers

Edited by Cr1028