Greg Abbott to be UNT commencement speaker

You would think they would learn the lesson of their stupidity after this announcement two weeks ago: https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/fox-news-channel-co-host-andrea-tantaros-speak-may-12-unt-kuehne-speaker-series

Please explain...I think I am missing something here.

Mark, please don't tell me you think she's qualified to speak with insight about National Security issues.

Got it! No, I don't. My first thought when I saw this was that we must have had a hard time securing a speaker for this one. Perhaps the first choice or two couldn't make it. Don't know, but not sure what this speaker brings to the series.

• Upvote 1

Very embarrassed at the spoiled brats on the UNT Facebook site attacking the speaker, just petulent children who have no clue. Hell even my disdain for all things Democrat, I would still attend and listen to a Politician regardless of party. Many of the comments though are just rude, so hopefully most of the nitwits will no show their graduation.

Good pick by UNT for speaker

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

It's a real **liberal** arts college after all.

Though I'm not a big fan of Abbott I am about as conservative as it gets. I think this is a great thing for the university. When these children students go out and start fighting for their own survival in the real world there is typically a large contingent switching from demo to conservative. They are just too dumb to know any better right now. Unless they perfectly fit the bill of this up and coming generation of hand outs then they'll fit right in with their current, mostly ignorant beliefs.

EDIT: Post it where it belongs, or don't post it at all.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
Politics
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

That would actually be funny.

"Alright guys, I'm just up here to let you know what ya'll owe us."

I take it as a sign that they are coming to a reasonable agreement... the state screwed up too as the let this go on for years. Also they were able to use it as an example for other colleges to make sure they were doing it right. They need UNT to be successful as well as the other colleges. With only two public tier ones who are well beyond capacity already, it is in the state's best interest to have some other universities become more prestigious ie like in California where they have like 7-8 tier one schools...

Well,

I'm not a fan of the guy at all. I didn't cast a vote for Governor this last election, I wasn't too excited about either of them, although if I could go back I'd probably vote against Abbott.

Still, it's hard to argue against how cool it is that the current Governor of Texas is speaking at a UNT Commencement. I graduated twice in the span of two years (Dec 2011, and Aug 2013) and both times I got the same recycled speech by V. Lane. Come on, Rawlins, it's been two years! Think up a new speech, and preferably one that doesn't mention you looking at women's feet.

Hopefully the students get through the ceremony without a protest. I couldn't help but feel a tad embarrassed when protesters have soured the speeches of other politicians who have come to UNT that they didn't like.

Edited by UNTDoubleAlum

You will probably have idiots that aren't even graduating show up to protest. Because they are sooo self important and soooo much more enlightened than everyone else. No matter that they still 21 year old kids who need their noses wiped from time to time.

Really hope UNT takes steps to avoid, not encourage, this type of idiotic behavior.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Despite our differences in politics, I thought it was pretty cool to listen to G W Bush speak when he came to DFW. Greg Abbott is the state governor so it is cool that he'll be speaking.

But I have no problem with college kids getting riled up on the inter webs. That's kinda what you expect college kids to do, you know?

and I suppose I expect grey-hairs to complain about them complaining.

I'm going to get some coffee.

• Upvote 6

Despite our differences in politics, I thought it was pretty cool to listen to G W Bush speak when he came to DFW. Greg Abbott is the state governor so it is cool that he'll be speaking.

But I have no problem with college kids getting riled up on the inter webs. That's kinda what you expect college kids to do, you know?

and I suppose I expect grey-hairs to complain about them complaining.

I'm going to get some coffee.

I don't care what they post, just don't show your ass during the commencement address.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1