Grayshirt

Coach Davis

Yes, the players who sign can be grayshirted. Chumley signed last signing day.

However, you're not allowed to officially announce and talk about a player you are grayshirting. I don't expect any of these signings to grayshirt, as they were officially announced yesterday. Chumley was not officially announced last year.

But some teams intentionally 'oversign', with the idea that some may drop before reporting for Fall camp, and some show up expecting to enroll only to be told that there are no spots. The practice of oversigning got so bad that they started capping the number of LOIs that could be signed to 28.

Technically, we could still sign Cain, with the intent of allowing him to enroll if a spot opens up (someone doesn't qualify or drops or accepts a gray shirt). However, if a spot did not open up, he would be SOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

But some teams intentionally 'oversign', with the idea that some may drop before reporting for Fall camp, and some show up expecting to enroll only to be told that there are no spots. The practice of oversigning got so bad that they started capping the number of LOIs that could be signed to 28.

Technically, we could still sign Cain, with the intent of allowing him to enroll if a spot opens up (someone doesn't qualify or drops or accepts a gray shirt). However, if a spot did not open up, he would be SOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

I hope that the reason we didn't have him sign was so that he could go somewhere else and not be left in the cold should no spot open up. That would be the right thing to do.

Yes, the players who sign can be grayshirted. Chumley signed last signing day.

However, you're not allowed to officially announce and talk about a player you are grayshirting. I don't expect any of these signings to grayshirt, as they were officially announced yesterday. Chumley was not officially announced last year.

What did he sign? I don't think offering a grayshirt is anymore than a verbal agreement just like a commitment. Preferred walk-ons and grayshirts may sign something for ceremonial reasons, but it is not a contract.