Cody Wheeler talks about reasons for flip to Texas Tech

Harry

Allen offensive linemen Cody Wheeler placed a phone call to the coaches at North Texas this week.

He said it was one of the toughest calls he ever had to make.

After being committed to UNT since the summer, Wheeler decided to follow his heart and carry on a family tradition by playing for Texas Tech.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/01/mgb-cody-wheeler-talks-about-reasons-for-flip-to-texas-tech.html/

“They gave me my first opportunity. Coach Mac [uNT coach Dan McCarney] is one of the greatest people I have ever met. I have a lot of respect for him. I will really be pulling for UNT. They are going to win a lot of games and hopefully go to a bowl game.”

Coach made an impression on the kid. Not enough to overcome the school where Wheeler's parents met, but a strong impression apparently.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Campbell, shhh don't you know Mac just sits with his feet up on his desk trying to lose?? Geez. Happy for the kid to live his dream, wish it was at UNT, if you want to change perception you have to change reality.

• Upvote 5

I have a lot more respect for Wheeler than the others that chose to drop their commitment to UNT. At least he has the character to be truthful and to pick up the phone and call the coaches.

And how dare he sing the praises of Coach Mac, etc... Doesn't he read a few of the posters on this board and take their word as gospel?

• Upvote 2

You guys are delusional if you think just because Wheeler, our 7th decommitment, had a few nice words to say about Coach Mccarney, that it means that we can rule out him being the reason we have had so many decommits.

Wheeler is the first decommit to go elsewhere because he got a big time offer. The rest are going to schools like ULM, San Diego State, and Air Force (who had already offered Erwin when he committed the first time). This is a big problem, and whether or not some of the rumors are true, a class ultimately falls on a head coach. We're still sitting at a class where 9 out of the 11 high school commits had one or no other FBS offers besides us. Including Dillman, since we were the only school to offer him at tight end, where we are apparently bringing him in.

• Upvote 2

You guys are delusional if you think just because Wheeler, our 7th decommitment, had a few nice words to say about Coach Mccarney, that it means that we can rule out him being the reason we have had so many decommits.

Wheeler is the first decommit to go elsewhere because he got a big time offer. The rest are going to schools like ULM, San Diego State, and Air Force (who had already offered Erwin when he committed the first time). This is a big problem, and whether or not some of the rumors are true, a class ultimately falls on a head coach. We're still sitting at a class where 9 out of the 11 high school commits had one or no other FBS offers besides us. Including Dillman, since we were the only school to offer him at tight end, where we are apparently bringing him in.

Yeah, our fan base is delusional. We are content and that is ultimately why this program sits where it sits. No real pressure is ever put on the administration, AD, or coaching staff(s). If you cannot recruit, you will not win. I'll say it again, winning seasons are won in the offseason.

On a positive note, with our current personnel I think we are 2 positions away from being a very competitive team. A legit QB (Hopefully Damarcus Smith) and a real playmaker at safety (TBD).

GMG

Nobody is saying Mac is faultless, but he isn't the only reason these kids are choosing other schools. It does amuse me that we criticize our recruiting but then state we are only a couple players away from being very competitive. All the players on the current roster are Mac recruits, so he was successful at some point if we are only a few players away. I would love to know the real reason for what has occurred this year, but other than Wheeler, nobody is really talking. The only big differences are a new S&C coach and a new Defensive Coordinator. Other universities think enough about our recruits to go after them. SMU has done that since the first day Mac set foot in Denton. We just need to hold on to what we have. That may be our weakness and not overall recruiting.

Biggest problem Mac has with recruiting is his team went 4-8. Nothing else on Macs part.

Nothing wrong with his methods and style considering what he has to work with. Just like he does the coachspeak and sales to the fans, he is also good at doing it with recruits and parents. He is better than a lot of coaches, and I have seen all of them in Texas and even some in the surrounding areas. if I had to rank the ones I have seen, Mac brown is #1, and I hate Texas...Mac mccarney is #2. Parents love Mac too. He has the same energy you see all the time.

He just needs to stop losing...

Nobody is saying Mac is faultless, but he isn't the only reason these kids are choosing other schools. It does amuse me that we criticize our recruiting but then state we are only a couple players away from being very competitive. All the players on the current roster are Mac recruits, so he was successful at some point if we are only a few players away. I would love to know the real reason for what has occurred this year, but other than Wheeler, nobody is really talking. The only big differences are a new S&C coach and a new Defensive Coordinator. Other universities think enough about our recruits to go after them. SMU has done that since the first day Mac set foot in Denton. We just need to hold on to what we have. That may be our weakness and not overall recruiting.

Why exactly the problem exists is up to you, your interpretation, what you do know, and what you choose to believe. Bottom line is that, of our 7 decommits, 5 of them only had one other or no other FBS offers when they first committed. And, again, 9 of the 11 current high school commits either don't have any other FBS offers or have just one besides us.

We aren't winning very many recruiting battles, we aren't doing a good job holding onto recruits, and recruits aren't typically decommitting just because a big school offered. Why that problem exactly exists is not an easy to answer question. Because there are a lot of factors.