MGB: Louisiana Tech could be on verge of landing top transfer QB

Brett Vito

He really isn't that good.

I wished we could get this kind of "really isn't that good".

...2012: Started 12 games for the Gators, 11 at quarterbackCompleted 156-of-245 passes for 1,646 yards with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions on the yearAlso ran 118 times for 408 yards (3.5 avg) on the season with three touchdownsHis 408 rushing yards rank seventh in school history by a quarterback for a single seasonWas second on the team in rushingThrew a 75-yard touchdown pass to Frankie Hammond at Tennessee for the longest pass of his careerHad a passer rating of 195.0 in Knoxville, the highest for a UF quarterback on the road in a conference game since Tim Tebow had a 202.7 rating at Kentucky in 2007Was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts against the VolunteersRushed 11 times for a career-high 177 yards and three touchdowns at VanderbiltThe 177 yards rushing is a school record by a Gator quarterback, surpassing Tim Tebows mark of 166 yards at Ole Miss in 2007Threw for a career-best four touchdowns against South Carolina and was the only FBS player in 2012 to have four touchdown passes and throw for less than 100 yards in the same gameCompleted a pass to 10 different receivers against KentuckyIn his first career start at quarterback at Texas A&M, he was 13-of-16 passing for 162 yards and did not turn the ball overMade his first career start against Bowling Green, lining up at wide receiver then proceeded to play the rest of the game at quarterbackMissed the Jacksonville State game due to injury

It's funny, he led them to an 11-2 record and a birth to the Sugar bowl in 2012, then won the first two games as a starter in 2013 before breaking his leg in week 3 and missed the rest of the season. Then, in 2014 when conference started he started to throw picks so they benched him, but optioned out of the passing game asking Harris the backup to hand off more. Wonder why they didn't try and make the same adjustment for Driskel?

Overall, he went 16-6 and finished with 23 TD's and 20 picks. Again, I'd take that production in the SEC anytime. Coosa is gonna be a big slow down for him.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am a big Gator fan due to being raised in it. I follow them closely. Jeff Driskel will not only come in and throw dimes in CUSA, he will run rampant on CUSA as well. I hope for alllll of our sake this does not happen. If it does, our ceiling in 2015 is 2nd place in the west. He had his fair share of struggles, but the guy is loaded with potential and talent. He had a new philosophy/OC every single year he was at Florida (Weis, Pease, Roper). Not to mention he's 6'4" 240lb and runs a 4.6.

You would think DMac's Florida connections would have helped with this kid, unless everyone from his regime was purged when the UT boy wonder took over.

Even then, he would have AD connections, right?

Just really weird if we aren't in on this. This kid would be the starter from the second his plane touched down at DFW.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You would think DMac's Florida connections would have helped with this kid, unless everyone from his regime was purged when the UT boy wonder took over.

Even then, he would have AD connections, right?

Just really weird if we aren't in on this. This kid would be the starter from the second his plane touched down at DFW.

Jeremy Foley typically isn't buddy, buddy with coaches, particularly position coaches as Mac was. He has a type-A personality and rubs a lot of people the wrong way. So to answer your question, I highly doubt Mac considers him as a "connection."
  • Upvote 1

It's tough to recruit in Ruston, but that doesn't seem to bother them does it?

If Driskel was smart he'd activate that contract from the Red Sox and go make some money.

Rick

Ruston Louisiana and La Tech like football...a lot. It's their window and kids and HS coaches know they have a solid history there.

Absolutely nothing about Denton, Texas and North Texas football is the same. Recruiting sucks here every year because the HS coaches and recruits' parents look at this place as a last resort usually. The only time we did well was either when Dickey for his stealth class that one time or when we hired Todd Dodge and kids that his offense would lead us to heights unseen...until they got here and played at Fouts for a coach who was a much better HS coach than he could ever be as a college coach. Otherwise, it has sucked something fierce since we moved back up to FBS in 1995.

La Tech has had their ups and downs but been playing at the higher CUSA level for a long time. I watched them in Hawaii beat and or compete with the great Timmy Chang and colt Brennan teams while living in Hawaii. We just creamed this program a year ago along with another long time player in southern miss. I am sure they felt about us like we do when we lose to UTSA. But we will return to prominence and the dirtybird will go down one day. Time to go steal one in Ruston and Hattiesburg again. GMG

Except a team with a strong winning record in the last 20 years and a town that actually likes football...

And a high school stadium in the middle of nowhere.

We have sucked in recruiting because the coaches have sucked at recruiting. No other reason.

It could also be our culture of never firing anyone until the last year of their contract and a general lackadaisical culture in the AD. That is the real culture that needs changing at UNT. Really zero sense of urgency at UNT.

Edited by UNT90

so y'all are going to bash Tech because you're coaches can't recruit well?

Not at all. In fact, your program is the standard, and more importantly, your athletic department staff should be a role model for our athletic department staff to look up to. But they won't.

Due to location, size and a great advantage in facilities we should be kicking your ass. We're not. Instead we're sucking hind tit in the conference and can't even attempt to cast a similar shadow. Your people have outworked ours 10 fold and I greatly respect that out of the good folks in Ruston.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Not at all. In fact, your program is the standard, and more importantly, your athletic department staff should be a role model for our athletic department staff to look up to. But they won't.

Due to location, size and a great advantage in facilities we should be kicking your ass. We're not. Instead we're sucking hind tit in the conference and can't even attempt to cast a similar shadow. Your people have outworked ours 10 fold and I greatly respect that out of the good folks in Ruston.

Rick

^^^^^^^^This.

Much respect for La Tech. God help us if La Tech ever really improves their stadium. Those folks know what they are doing and the direction they want to go.

so y'all are going to bash Tech because you're coaches can't recruit well?

Like Rick said, y'all have been able to do amazing things with bad facilities and being located in Ruston.

And I can say your stadium is bad because I used to have season tickets to a worse stadium, Fouts field. We built a beautiful new stadium that puts Fouts and your stadium to shame.

Yet you still out-recruit us.

I'd swap staffs (from the AD to every assistant coach) with y'all in a heart beat. Like Rick said, the culture here stinks.