UAB

wardly

If the end of the UAB football program does happen, among my first telephone calls would be to any school that was scheduled to play them in a nonconference game in Birmingham in 2015 to see if a trip to Denton could be arranged.

Huff, they have two SBC teams scheduled as home OOC: Georgia St and South Alabama.

I'd read they were going to finish the last two years they have game contracts for before shutting down for good. I haven't heard anything about it shutting down immediately.

If that's the case, what do you play for? The program is being shut down, so you play with the team you have now for the next 2 seasons? You can't depend on recruiting new players, and even if by some miracle the football program is saved, you're basically starting from scratch. Even if UAB is saved now, what quality player is going to commit to a school that already has its neck in a noose.

If that's the case, what do you play for? The program is being shut down, so you play with the team you have now for the next 2 seasons? You can't depend on recruiting new players, and even if by some miracle the football program is saved, you're basically starting from scratch. Even if UAB is saved now, what quality player is going to commit to a school that already has its neck in a noose.

During the season I remember rumor being they would play through the 2016 season because of contracts for the out of conference games, stadium, etc. That may be moot. I agree that 2 years would be very tough and I hope players would be able to transfer immediately if they wanted.

I remember at some time in my past that a college team was doing this and they played one final season. I can't remember who that was but it was awhile ago.

So now we have 4 home games for next year?

Actually, if UAB was coming to the CUSA West next year, and were going to be one of our conference home games, yet killed their program at the end of this year, that would leave us with 3 home games scheduled for next year.

Three.

Three...

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 2

5-1=3 ???

We currently only have 4 home games scheduled for next season...

No OOC home game on the schedule at this time. We have one game to fill, One would think it would be a bought home game with an FCS, but who really knows with the way this AD schedules football games. It is getting very late in the college football scheduling game for 2015.

Edited by UNT90

We currently only have 4 home games scheduled for next season...

No OOC home game on the schedule at this time. We have one game to fill, One would think it would be a bought home game with an FCS, but who really knows with the way this AD schedules football games. It is getting very late in the college football scheduling game for 2015.

Got it. I didn't get any sleep last night.

I remember at some time in my past that a college team was doing this and they played one final season. I can't remember who that was but it was awhile ago.

Cal State Fullerton, the year they opened a new stadium (laughable facility by today's standards BTW), went 2-9 in 1992, their final year of football.

The year before that, Long Beach State went 2-9 in their final year of football.

Finally, in 1995, Pacific went 3-8 in their final year.

You've heard of these because these three teams shutting down, combined with the departures of UNLV and Fresno State, and future Sunbelt Conference members LaLa and Ark. St (along with a transition for LaTech from Big West to WAC), the Big West, in a last gasp effort to keep football as a sport, brought a newly risen from the 1-AA ashes North Texas program in 1996.

I'd read they were going to finish the last two years they have game contracts for before shutting down for good. I haven't heard anything about it shutting down immediately.

I'm concerned that if we play them next year, they'll beat us at home after we're outrecruited by Bill Clark, who will be interviewed at some point saying, "I just sold them the program as it is, not what it will be", followed by a DMac interview where he talks about how incredibly hard it is to recruit to Denton.

Cal State Fullerton, the year they opened a new stadium (laughable facility by today's standards BTW), went 2-9 in 1992, their final year of football.

The year before that, Long Beach State went 2-9 in their final year of football.

Finally, in 1995, Pacific went 3-8 in their final year.

You've heard of these because these three teams shutting down, combined with the departures of UNLV and Fresno State, and future Sunbelt Conference members LaLa and Ark. St (along with a transition for LaTech from Big West to WAC), the Big West, in a last gasp effort to keep football as a sport, brought a newly risen from the 1-AA ashes North Texas program in 1996.

Tip o the hat to someone who knows their history.

I took some delight in Pacific dropping because the BW had booted the football only members THEN Pacific dropped putting them in a crack.

Fullerton and Long Beach were victims of the great property tax reform in California, higher ed funding got sliced. They lost some Division II football teams as well.

Fullerton and Long Beach were victims of the great property tax reform in California, higher ed funding got sliced. They lost some Division II football teams as well.

It also coincided with the rule that D1 schools couldn't field D2/3 football teams. UCSB lost their program on that one.

I was in college in California while all this was going down, and attribute it to football just simply not being that big of a deal in the state anymore unless you went to Stanford, USC, or UCLA. Cal alum don't really care all that much except for the opportunity to fall down drunk in the streets of Berkeley on Big Game weekend.

But yeah, two decades of what, 80%(ish) of California schools not having football, and it was a HUGE culture shock for me to move to Texas and encounter what a big deal it is here.