Chad Morris new smu Coach

EAGLE83

Boys and girls, SMU just made a great hire. Dude can recruit, and well let's face it, you get what you spend for. We won't soend for a coordinator, and we will suffer. We need young blood (that can coach their butt off and recruit) to maintain pace with SMU this could get ugly.

• Upvote 2

This game is ALL about recruiting and from the high level assistant pool, Morris is about as good as it gets. A&M grad, strong Texas high school ties paid his dues and is well respected. The key thing is he has recruited at a very high level and knows how to identify and close on the talent. He would not take this job without them allowing him to hire a quality staff and so I expect their assistants to be top notch as well.

SMU opted not to go with Mack Brown and probably decided on the young assistant Justin Fuente model that Memphis is using to such success this year. It will take Morris a couple of years to get the ship turned around but he could take them places.

This game is ALL about recruiting and from the high level assistant pool, Morris is about as good as it gets. A&M grad, strong Texas high school ties paid his dues and is well respected. The key thing is he has recruited at a very high level and knows how to identify and close on the talent. He would not take this job without them allowing him to hire a quality staff and so I expect their assistants to be top notch as well.

SMU opted not to go with Mack Brown and probably decided on the young assistant Justin Fuente model that Memphis is using to such success this year. It will take Morris a couple of years to get the ship turned around but he could take them places.

What stars at Auburn is Coach Morris credited with identifying and recruiting? If it's at least one QB, and one dominating D-lineman, then yep, we're screwed.

I tend to disagree about it all being about recruiting. You can recruit all the talent in the world but if you can coach them all you have is talent.

• Upvote 1

I tend to disagree about it all being about recruiting. You can recruit all the talent in the world but if you can coach them all you have is talent.

What you speak of is the exception, not the norm. Programs that recruit at a high level win at a high level. It might not be something we want to hear given our recruiting, but it's true nevertheless. This is a damn good hire for SMwho. They will most likely turn into AAC champs by 2017 and if he isn't cashed out by a P5 he will have continued success beyond 2017. We will not waver and we will not change and bc of it we will start getting skull drug by SMwho. Thanks, RV. Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

Don't you love the optimism of some of this fan base! A hire is just that until proven on the field. People are ready to cancel season tickets and give up parking passes - toss em my way!

In Mac I trust.

Beat UTSA

Go Mean Green!!!!!

See ya at the Westin!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't you love the optimism of some of this fan base! A hire is just that until proven on the field. People are ready to cancel season tickets and give up parking passes - toss em my way!

In Mac I trust.

Beat UTSA

Go Mean Green!!!!!

See ya at the Westin!!!!!

I can't speak for everyone else, but my "concerns" about how our program is being run, and developed will not result in me throwing away any season tickets or parking passes. I have always believed in staying (after all it is my school) in the stands and making the person that I have issues with as miserable as possible. Did I mention that it was MY SCHOOL, not Mac's or RV's? Or half of the BOR for that matter?

Rather than address the issue of positive speak etc about our staff, let me just say that I was raised in a religion that did not believe in blind faith.

• Upvote 2

I can't speak for everyone else, but my "concerns" about how our program is being run, and developed will not result in me throwing away any season tickets or parking passes. I have always believed in staying (after all it is my school) in the stands and making the person that I have issues with as miserable as possible. Did I mention that it was MY SCHOOL, not Mac's or RV's? Or half of the BOR for that matter?

Rather than address the issue of positive speak etc about our staff, let me just say that I was raised in a religion that did not believe in blind faith.

Buddhism?

I see the usual suspects have been at work here....no sense of humor at all. Expected.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We heard all of the same things when they hired their last "best assistant coach in the land", which was Phil Bennett. He had Texas ties, he was a great DC, and he was gonna resurrect the Hilltop...then promptly got fired after going 1-11 and never went to a bowl game. I'm not too worried about SMU being relevant ever again in football. Their day had passed. I'm more worries about La Tech, Rice, UTSA, and USM than I am the Ponies and their dozens of fans...

• Upvote 1