Hayden Fry, former UNT coach, said these words one time...

...and, I'm sure his former assistant coach, friend, and carpooling buddy, Dan McCarney, is applying them today as he prepares his team for the downpour tomorrow:

http://articles.wsbt.com/2010-10-29/bob-diaco_24803172

"I didn't pay any attention (to the criticism) and I instructed my assistants to do the same," Fry said. "There are a lot of people out there evaluating and most of them have never had a jockstrap on in their life.

"How do you handle a game (like Navy)? Real simple. Forget about it. You can't change anything. Take away the lessons you learned and forget about the game. It's over."

All of you pin brains who never strapped on a jock strap who want Dan to obsess over the losses - sorry, it's probably not happening. He fell from the Hayden Fry coaching tree.

"From a psychological standpoint, I had it easy," Fry said. "I inherited a group of players that had just had its tail kicked. A loser is the easiest group in the world to motivate.

For the rest of the season, Dan is coaching a team full of losers who will begin 2015 being remembered as the 2014 team of losers to motivate to do better - so, he will. He fell from the Hayden Fry coaching tree.

"I was raised on a farm," Fry said. "My father taught me a lot of great lessons. He'd take me behind the barn, grab the horsewhip and tell me to bend over.

"He'd say, 'I want you to remember this the rest of your life.' He'd tell me to bend over and he'd say, 'I want you to remember this the rest of your life.' I said, 'Daddy, what is it you want me to remember?' He said, 'I want you to fill the pickup truck with hay and feed the cows."

A horsewhipped person doesn't forget their responsibilities around the farm next time - so, Dan can horsewhip the players who blow assignments during the games. He fell from the Hayden Fry coaching tree.

Fry said his family farmed, but didn't own, between 1,500 and 2,000 acres. How was he going to find the cows in that expanse?

"My daddy said, 'Drive the pickup out in the middle and wait a while. Pretty soon, you'll hear a bell ringing. That's the bell cow. Find the bell cow and you'll find the whole herd.'

"I used that lesson as a coach. I observed all the positions on the team. It doesn't take long to figure out who the bell cow is at each position. That's the guy you go to and say, 'This is the way you win. This is the way you lose. These guys will listen to you. You can help me.'

"That's the way you find a leader. That's the way you develop them. The bell cow is the whole secret.

One or a few of the players are wearing bells, and the rest of the players are following them to the feeding areas - so, Dan needs to drive his truck onto the practice fields and listen for those bells. He fell from the Hayden Fry coaching tree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Cute. Let's horsewhip our players into submission. That'll teach em'.

This is something that should've been posted mid-season 2011, ya know in year 1. In year 4, posts like this are pointless. Mac is pouring the cement of his legacy at North Texas, next season that cement will harden up.

You are wrong. And, when Dan McCarney's team proves you wrong in 2015, you will crawl up to him on your belly like a snake and kitten lick the practice field mud and grass from his sneakers.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5

And, what about Adrian Peterson-ing, -ed/Peterson Switch?

"Alabama gave Texas A&M a healthy dose of a good, old fashioned Adrian Petersoning this afternoon, shutting out the Aggies, 59-0."

"Chip Kelly's Eagles were once again Adrian Petersoned by a team with a winning record."

"Baylor trailed OU 14-3 before it pulled out the Peterson Switch and whipped OU into a submission, 48-14."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I see what you're doing here, TFLF.

You're setting yourself up for a big "I told ya so" if Mac does indeed lead his team to a winning season in 2015. It seems like a gamble of the highest order but what do you have to lose? If NT goes down a similar path next year, which is HIGHLY likely, you'll just fade into the wind because you know the odds are stacked against the football program. The GMG mob will be up in arms again, not even remembering you're optimistic prediction. Now if NT somehow pulls off a good season in 2015, you'll thump your chest and proclaim your intelligence and unheralded foresight.

You're not pulling the wool over my eyes, buddy!

• Upvote 1

Many people here dismiss the greatness of Hayden Fry and his profound influence on those who coached with him. I am not one of those people.

Some consider the glass half empty; others consider it half full. I just drink it and am thankful something was there in the first place.

We could be like UTA students and supporters, without a football program and barely able to speak full sentences in English. But, we're not. UTA may have their intramural ping pong to gin up student interest. But, we at least still field an American rules football team for our students and supporters to observe.

• Upvote 4

Many people here dismiss the greatness of Hayden Fry and his profound influence on those who coached with him. I am not one of those people.

Some consider the glass half empty; others consider it half full. I just drink it and am thankful something was there in the first place.

We could be like UTA students and supporters, without a football program and barely able to speak full sentences in English. But, we're not. UTA may have their intramural ping pong to gin up student interest. But, we at least still field an American rules football team for our students and supporters to observe.

Like I've said many times before. Fry is the first one to ever do a good assessment of our school and then proceed to change the main problem, which was/is our culture. He changed the shade of color, the logo, and emphasized our nickname over our mascot. All in the name of changing our losing image and losing mind set.

McCarney might be/is a good student of Fry, but he is not a clone.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3