Dallas Stars Hockey 2014-15

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure what to make of this team. Seems they're getting more fluid and balanced offensively now and so glad Hemsky seems to have found his place and game on this team. The blue line is still a disaster and goaltending is iffy even with Kari as he's just not been himself all season long. If they want to make a legitimate push for the playoffs they better get a full 2 points agains Winnipeg in regulation.

Not really sure what to make of this team. Seems they're getting more fluid and balanced offensively now and so glad Hemsky seems to have found his place and game on this team. The blue line is still a disaster and goaltending is iffy even with Kari as he's just not been himself all season long. If they want to make a legitimate push for the playoffs they better get a full 2 points agains Winnipeg in regulation.

I cannot believe we are still only 4 out - even if the games in hand are gone or even flipped.

Found myself browsing the top free agents of next year before I saw this post. I'm not in love with any of them and the trade market seems to be Nill's preference, but some intriguing D guys on this list: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2015-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-contract-years-marc-staal-cody-franson-johnny-boychuk-antoine-vermette/

I cannot believe we are still only 4 out - even if the games in hand are gone or even flipped.

Found myself browsing the top free agents of next year before I saw this post. I'm not in love with any of them and the trade market seems to be Nill's preference, but some intriguing D guys on this list: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2015-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-contract-years-marc-staal-cody-franson-johnny-boychuk-antoine-vermette/

Definitely not an impressive list. The 2 most realistic and probably best options is too just wait and develop the young kids within the Stars system and continue to draft them or wait til a fabulous team that can't pay really good d-men are available for trade which Dallas still has plenty of assets to trade if they wish to go that route. I've heard Seabrooks name thrown out there since they'd keep Keith and next year is when the new mammoth contracts of Toews and Kane kick in so I'm not sure if that's even viable especially considering both are in the same division.

Definitely not an impressive list. The 2 most realistic and probably best options is too just wait and develop the young kids within the Stars system and continue to draft them or wait til a fabulous team that can't pay really good d-men are available for trade which Dallas still has plenty of assets to trade if they wish to go that route. I've heard Seabrooks name thrown out there since they'd keep Keith and next year is when the new mammoth contracts of Toews and Kane kick in so I'm not sure if that's even viable especially considering both are in the same division.

Yeah - and the stare down strategy worked great for the Islanders as they picked up 1/3rd of their D weeks via trades in that situation before the season started and are currently destroying the East. I'm intrigued by Oduya, but who knows what he gets in this market. Also, realizing we'll be breaking in new D guys and a goalie in the coming years as the offensive talent loses prime years is somewhat worrisome, even if our two leaders are so young. I think a trade or signing (or both) has to happen for the window we have, but I still trust Nill and just hate waiting for the pieces because I am impatient.

Kari is scaring me the most, shots against are down, I have liked the process and building going on in defense, though it can't mature fast enough for me.

Winnipeg was outplayed in every aspect except Pavelec stole the game. That being said this team is frustrating beyond belief. 0-7 on power play is bad but the power play on the whole is unacceptable. They have their moments and streaks but on the whole I never feel this is a good or deadly power play consistently. I think it's time to look at Curt Fraser and figure out if a change is needed there. Lindback was actually really good. The 2nd goal was a turnover in the neutral zone on a power play no less that led the puck to go in. I think this team is what it is...average at best but I'm seeing playoffs much more grim than ever before. I don't see how they get in and even if they were to do so they'd likely be an easy one and done again.

Edited by Green Mean

I can't believe this all three games at Chicago are on a second night on their ice. Kari in net?

Does that mean they want to win or kill Kari? I thought there was a hotshot goalie in Austin?

I am not sure if Kari is done or not, he is well above the average career length for a Goalie but it looked like most good goalies retire in their mid to late 30's but that was an a quick glance not science. I could not find an article on when goalies retire that are say are well established, all I could find was all goalies vs. total years which is 5ish years.

I say that ^^^^^^^^^^ and then Kari does a great job at Chicago, and a great win especially on a second night playing. Chicago came out hungry with lots of shots in the 1st and 2nd, but our defense shut them down in the 3rd.

• 4 weeks later...

Jhonas Enroth?
Does he make a run for Kari's job?

I think we may have a good back goalie, and for cheap. Congrats Stars I think it was a good move.
Also sounds like Rich Peverley was out and about, Val and Nemeth are getting close to back maybe end of the month.

Enroth is a great backup and someone that can/will push Karti to maintain his number 1 status. The last viable backup goaltender this team had was probably Mike Smith before he got dealt to TB for Brad Richards. This is a great trade for Dallas and there's been a lot of games this season that Enroth was the reason Buffalo won and/or was in games against good teams.

I think most of us knew Peverly would never suit up for the Stars again and I'm not sure he'll ever suit up again period due to his particular condition as well as teams hesitating giving him a shot. Really can't wait to see Val and Nemeth get back on the ice and be 100 percent ready.

Edited by Green Mean

I've thought this for a while now that this team can kiss the playoffs goodbye even with a fully healthy Seguin. It just stinks that they weren't bad enough to try to land a top pick and acquire once in a generation talent.

Part of me says "hey, it's still only a 6 point gap," but man, then I read this and just nod sadly: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/2/20/8077211/san-jose-sharks-dallas-stars-5-2-loss-recap-thoughts-kari-lehtonen-erik-cole-playoffs

Part of me says "hey, it's still only a 6 point gap," but man, then I read this and just nod sadly: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/2/20/8077211/san-jose-sharks-dallas-stars-5-2-loss-recap-thoughts-kari-lehtonen-erik-cole-playoffs

Pretty much agree with everything written. Let's face it this team is mediocre at the very best. I don't see how Nill can go in and think this team has a chance for a legitimate run for a playoff spot. He's got a few valuable pieces that will garner some interest and one of them is Erik Cole and he won't be back this season. Horcoff may garner interest but I've really liked what he's provided to the team the last few years and I'm not opposed Nill signing him for a couple of years at a really team friendly deal. I say give the kids permanent time with the big club and let them mature as much as possible this season in prep for next season.

That was a 3-2 game for all practical purposes I wish we had won, We may be out of time I don't know, we seem to need a few returns. You all are depressing me

No doubt but before 3-2 it was 3-0 and SJ was having their way with Dallas. I love the Stars but I'm also a realist and for much of the season I've thought this team isn't all that great and expecting this team to go on a run like they did last season isn't realistic especially given just how tough the west is.

What do you think about the 2nd night of a back to back is always an away game against a fresh home team? What 3 of which for the Stars were against Chicago and 2 against Minnesota out of 11 possible? Of 8 we played we have won two, lost one in OT and 5 regular loses. Seems like a shitty set up. Why would the home team not be the back to back home game or both teams on a back to back or just get rid of it.

It seems like stacking the deck for the home team if they are fresh and then a traveling squad comes in tired from playing and traveling.

What do you think about the 2nd night of a back to back is always an away game against a fresh home team? What 3 of which for the Stars were against Chicago and 2 against Minnesota out of 11 possible? Of 8 we played we have won two, lost one in OT and 5 regular loses. Seems like a shitty set up. Why would the home team not be the back to back home game or both teams on a back to back or just get rid of it.

It seems like stacking the deck for the home team if they are fresh and then a traveling squad comes in tired from playing and traveling.

Back to back scheduling is what it is and everyone else has similar scheduling. Though I did find interesting that it seemed every time we've played Chicago this season it seems to be on a back to back other than the opener. The reality is that this team has been terrible on back to backs going on several years now and I"ll just guess every other team has the same scheduling as ours. I guess when you're not a really good team you won't have that type of success on back to backs. Other than a couple of minor runs this team has been inconsistent all season long and been bad quite often. Just consistent turnovers, carelessness with the puck, crappy goaltending, inconsistent and unbalanced offense for much of the season, cruddy power play and the list goes on. Way too many holes to this thing and I just don't think the Seguin injury would have made a difference either way.