Dallas Stars Hockey 2014-15

Tonight is fun and great and I love our offensive talent, but man...our defensive game blows. If we're going to be a real contender and win a round or 2, that D trade probably has to happen (or some serious young player development.)

Yes, they got sloppy on back checking and on D as the score fest went on. I think they can over come, thinking Gonchar will get traded. We still need a real first line defenseman. Though Daley is has 6 points he is still a -2 and I think he may be the best we have. Oleksiak is a monster and Jordie is a +4. Jordie & Dillion seem to get better all the time.

Yes, they got sloppy on back checking and on D as the score fest went on. I think they can over come, thinking Gonchar will get traded. We still need a real first line defenseman. Though Daley is has 6 points he is still a -2 and I think he may be the best we have. Oleksiak is a monster and Jordie is a +4. Jordie & Dillion seem to get better all the time.

The Stars are allowing 34.3 shots on goal per game (25th in the league) and a shot differential of minus-6.7 (also 25th). That’s probably not a sustainable system for winning hockey, no matter how much you believe in friendly ice apparitions.

“Sooner or later, that catches up to you unless you correct it.” Ruff said.

Good read: http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/observations-stars-expect-to-go-to-school-after-their-offensive-experiments-defy-hockey-logic-tuesday.html/

I think unless a true number 1 becomes available I think Nill and the Stars brass are determined letting the the younger kids try to earn their spots. If there was a time and season for Oleksiak to prove his worth and potential this is the time to do it. I'm curious to see what this team will get out of Gonchar when he's truly ready to get on the ice again.

Lindback was freaking awful in both of his starts this year and he was awful last season in Tampa. Get rid of that man.

I did not get to see the game so I will take your word for it. I believe we have a goalie or two floating around Austin. Lindback was not impressive after the first period in his first game starting.

Good news is all three of our top line are in the top ten points list with Tyler Seguin in 1st in points for the entire NHL ahead of Crosby I love that. I know Seguin has an extra game on Crosby, still I love it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?navid=nav-sts-indiv#

I am crying in my beer.

What a train-wreck without good defense and cold sticks.

Goligoski still does not have a goal and leads the NHL in minutes and is part of our powerplay. Go ahead and give the young ones some more minutes.

Now I am starting to worry about Kari, and we don't have a solid backup here. I heard good things about the other two in Austin but I am not sure why Lindback is still here.

Good or bad thing?

I'm not really in the loop with The Stars, but will want to go to a game (never been) this season.

Good. He was supposed to serve as a bridge to the young talent that is still not ready, but his play/level of interest never really came back. Moen's a decent big body, but this isn't about adding him at all - it's about making room down the road.

• Upvote 2

Good or bad thing?

I'm not really in the loop with The Stars, but will want to go to a game (never been) this season.

My quick understanding is this move was made to make cap room on a better thing coming. I was not a Gonchar fan so I believe it is a good thing, and I thought it would be coming.

We blew it in the 3rd again!

We looked great through 2

But I believe any NHL Teams needs to score more than 1 point to win. Now we have a back to back tonight. Which I have a problem with, if the NHL needs to schedule back to back games both teams should be on 2nd night of a back to back. Or just get rid of back to backs and require a full day separation between each game.

John Klingberg is a stud for sure wow and right handed. Really enjoying the Roussel, Garbutt, and Eakin.

Another 3rd period meltdown. Holy Cow!

All those D warts we hid for 2 months at the end of last year, exposed and festering. It's such a long season and teams flounder until Christmas all the time and then take off, but do we continue considering that just about every game has been competitive, the schedule has been brutal and it's mental or do we start thinking about the best moves to build long-term?

• Upvote 1

All those D warts we hid for 2 months at the end of last year, exposed and festering. It's such a long season and teams flounder until Christmas all the time and then take off, but do we continue considering that just about every game has been competitive, the schedule has been brutal and it's mental or do we start thinking about the best moves to build long-term?

I think we are doing the right thing, I feel coaching can cure most of our issues with the 3rd meltdown, and I want much more work on the powerplay. I would like to see a different entry into neutral ice. The center is getting clogged up and we need our wingers to advance. I would like to see the net crashed more and someone in front of the net at all times we are in the Offensive zone. I am still not a Goligoski fan and I would love to see a trade for a non existent unicorn of defenseman that is senior and a true 1st line guy to mentor these young guys coming up. John Klingberg has really impressed me so far.

I think we are doing the right thing, I feel coaching can cure most of our issues with the 3rd meltdown, and I want much more work on the powerplay. I would like to see a different entry into neutral ice. The center is getting clogged up and we need our wingers to advance. I would like to see the net crashed more and someone in front of the net at all times we are in the Offensive zone. I am still not a Goligoski fan and I would love to see a trade for a non existent unicorn of defenseman that is senior and a true 1st line guy to mentor these young guys coming up. John Klingberg has really impressed me so far.

I agree with you on everything - but the PP and going to the net has been an issue for year. And Goligoski is always going to frustrate you because he should be a 3rd or 4th d-man. Klingberg is extremely encouraging, but Dillon has taken a huge step back, Jordie Benn has been atrocious this year and we lost the other guy I was excited about it early in the year. Ultimately, unless we can clone Zubov or Scott Niedemayer, I'm not sure if the d-man we need will ever be available and we'll pay a stiff price for another second pair type guy.

It's just like the whole process of finally gettin' sem pitchin' up in here, but on skates.

• Upvote 1

This season has been frustrating for sure. In terms of making moves for long term I say there's no need for that because the core and future is already here and in place. I realize the draft in June is supposed to be one of the best and deepest drafts in years but I'd hate to give up on a season and give any type of culture of losing to the players. Jordie has been awful, Dillon has been crap most of the season if not all, and Goose will always be a mixed bag. As Quoner and everybody says, Daley and Goose are really good players but they're not number 1 material like they've been asked to do here

Klingberg looks to be the real deal...he's confident, fluid, good decision and only 22. My wish is for the Stars is to just roll with the kids and let them learn from their mistakes. Oleksiak, Klingberg, and Jokipakka need to be up here. I'd rather have a mistake prone blue line full of kids with promise than to have guys like Jordie, Connauton doing the same things. It's a shame Nemeth had the season ender but that will happen.

I know there's been talk of the Tyler Myers to Dallas rumor for Val and what not and given what the organization has done to accommodate Val I cannot see that happening and we've seen glimpses of brilliance and he's only 19. Stay the course and Val will erupt at some point in the very near future.

Spezza I don't think is going anywhere. It's taken years to find a legitimate and dominant 1st and 2nd line center and we've finally found it. I don't think the organization will let him get away so I expect a long term extension before it's all over with. Hemsky is one unlucky son of a gun. He's been really really good at times and has had a plethora of chances but he's not delivered squat yet. While the blue line has been pretty awful so far I don't think our record is as bad if we had a consistent 2nd line like we thought and were kinda indirectly promised before the season started with Spezza and Hemsky.

So many questions and issues right now with this Stars bunch but there's still lots of hockey to be played even though the first month and a half has been beyond frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Oh and I realize backup goalie in the NHL is a year to year proposition for most clubs but Lindback has been total junk. He was awful last year in TB as well so I have to think Nill will be on the hunt for another backup goal before the trade deadline ends especially if they're still hovering around a playoff spot.

And I haven't seen Honka play yet but all indications are he's a stud that is still a full year or two away but that he's the real deal and playing fantastic down in Austin.

• Upvote 1