Dickey, Villareal contract extensions

Baby Arm!

By BRETT VITO / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – The UNT Board of Regents will consider new provisions in the contracts of football coach Darrell Dickey and athletic director Rick Villarreal this week.

The board will consider adding one year to Dickey's contract that is set to expire on Dec. 31, 2008. The new contract would include a $100,000 payment if Dickey serves the entire length of the deal. Dickey's base salary of $170,000 is scheduled to increase by five percent on Sept. 1 under the provisions of his old contract and would not change under the new deal.

The board will also consider a one-year extension to Villarreal's contract that is set to expire on May 31, 2009. Villarreal's proposed contract would include raises of $15,000 to his base salary of $155,000 on Sept. 1 and June 1, 2007.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By BRETT VITO / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – The UNT Board of Regents will consider new provisions in the contracts of football coach Darrell Dickey and athletic director Rick Villarreal this week.

The board will consider adding one year to Dickey's contract that is set to expire on Dec. 31, 2008. The new contract would include a $100,000 payment if Dickey serves the entire length of the deal. Dickey's base salary of $170,000 is scheduled to increase by five percent on Sept. 1 under the provisions of his old contract and would not change under the new deal.

The board will also consider a one-year extension to Villarreal's contract that is set to expire on May 31, 2009. Villarreal's proposed contract would include raises of $15,000 to his base salary of $155,000 on Sept. 1 and June 1, 2007.

NT needs to do as other schools have done and give a very nice bonus for substantial & noticeable increases in attendance.

Attendance is still our albatross at the moment although I feel it will not always be, but I think we can still move up the time-table for us all to see dramatic increases whether its at Fouts or when we are in the new football stadium.

At NT, we have the winning part down pat, the bowl drought is over, tailgating at NT receives an A+, but eventually we need to make our attendance situation public enemy #1 and just put a complete focus on solving it. wink.gif We are hardly a back-water school in a sparsely populated area so we don't have that to overcome.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I thought Dickey made a lot more money than that.

Beleive he's got several incentives in his contract but the base is still behind Troy's Blakely who got a new contract at $215,000.

Blakeney Awarded Four-Year Contract Extension

TROY, Ala. – Troy University Director of Athletics Steve Dennis announced today that Trojans head football coach Larry Blakeney has been awarded a four-year contract extension through May of 2009. The new contract provides for an annual salary of $215,000.

Beleive he's got several incentives in his contract but the base is still behind Troy's Blakely who got a new contract at $215,000.

Blakeney Awarded Four-Year Contract Extension

TROY, Ala. – Troy University Director of Athletics Steve Dennis announced today that Trojans head football coach Larry Blakeney has been awarded a four-year contract extension through May of 2009. The new contract provides for an annual salary of $215,000.

And what is it that Coach Bustle of the UL Rajun Cajuns make$ ?

Guest Aquila_Viridis

And don't the U of Memphis Tigers also average 40,000 per home game? wink.gif

Those numbers do add up. That's why it is so important to reach out to a large audience. I see people on here talking about BIG donors. What we need more urgently is a whole lot of little donors, even just buying tickets.

Those numbers do add up. That's why it is so important to reach out to a large audience. I see people on here talking about BIG donors. What we need more urgently is a whole lot of little donors, even just buying tickets.

Of course, for NT to get where I think we all want NT to get we need the Big Donor, the little donors and those who are just buying tickets. The Big Boys have all that working for them and NT should not set its goals any less, IMHO.

I think before this January, NT will have its Big Donor that will allow us to turn dirt this next Spring for our new football stadium--just a gut feeling; but you know, when Norval Pohl, Bobby Ray and Rick V are taking these prospective Big Donors on a walking tour of the present Mean Green Village, unlike the past, these guys will get to see actual completed facilties and not just drawings of such on some glorified blueprints.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Blakely also beats out of conference teams like Missouri and Marshall. At the very least, he doesn't give up in games.

This is very good news.

North Texas was placed in a very precarious position with having a president that stronly supports athletics announce his resignation. The new president might not be so supportive of athletics, and may even want to bring in his own people.

These contract adjustments help insure that the progress of the past several years should continue through the end of the decade.

Having bonuses contingent on attendance isn't a bad idea actually.  I'd say both Dickey and JJ could have some incentive like that in their contract.

Hell Villareal too.

Ticket sales do generally wind up giving an incentive bonus in our contracts. . . . Unfortunately, some of those incentives include basketball attendance, which means nobody's really been collecting those incentives lately. . . .

Other incentives include winning conference, getting to a bowl/postseason game, winning a bowl/postseason game, getting ranked in the top 25, etc.

in all honesty, why extend Dickey's contract AGAIN when no one(except Idaho a few years back) is even looking at him to coach their program. And if he hasn't been offered or looked at for another job by now, who is saying that he will anytime down the road.

And also I think attendence should play a bigger part in a contract here at North Texas. Would encourage who ever is a coach to go out and get fans out to the games, and to not belittle them. I know some will say that's not their job, but I don't see anyone else doing it. Mike Price was offered a attendence incentive in his contract last year when he went to UTEP.

in all honesty, why extend Dickey's contract AGAIN when no one(except Idaho a few years back) is even looking at him to coach their program. And if he hasn't been offered or looked at for another job by now, who is saying that he will anytime down the road.

Why extemd the contract?

Any coach that isn't under contract for at least 4 years is a lame duck coach plain and simple. Would you sign a letter of intent to play at a school who had a coach under contract for 1 or 2 years? I wouldn't either.

This is Dickey's BASE salary. He also has a shoe deal, gets paid for the weekly radio show during football season, gets paid for the camp in the summer, and gets bonuses for various things (winning the Belt, making attendance, etc..) - I think that Dickey made in the neighborhood of $240K for last year's success. That might be underpaid to a lot of people - but we used to pay our head coach $107K. Also, Dickey got pay raises for his Assistants the last go around - and probably took less of a raise as a result of it.

Blakely also beats out of conference teams like Missouri and Marshall.  At the very least, he doesn't give up in games.

He also loses to NMSU and ASU and doesn't win his conference championship. When has DD given up in a game?

Edited by Eagle-96