No More Youth Tackle Football . . . in MARSHALL, TEXAS

There will be less tackle football in Marshall, Tex., once a football hotbed that competed for high school state championships, produced N.F.L. players like Y.A. Tittle and appeared in the book “Friday Night Lights.”

The Boys & Girls Club in the East Texas town of 24,000 announced this week that it was ending its tackle football program because of the long-term dangers associated with the sport. In its place, the club will expand its popular flag football program. . . .

Pop Warner shut down in Marshall six years ago. For five years, the Boys & Girls Club was the only youth tackle program in town.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/04/sports/football/boys-and-girls-club-in-marshall-tex-to-end-tackle-football.html

28 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the audacity to place the health of a child ahead of attempts to vicariously make-up for one's own failings and shortcomings in adulthood. 

Let me guess, you didn't enjoy PE did you?

Some kids LIKE to play sports.  It's possible to play a sport and take AP classes at the same time.

Though, I do agree with eliminating tackle before junior high.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Let me guess, you didn't enjoy PE did you?

Some kids LIKE to play sports.  It's possible to play a sport and take AP classes at the same time.

Though, I do agree with eliminating tackle before junior high.  

loved playing sports and still do...anytime you want to step on a basketball court, soccer field, swim across a large body of water or go spend a day running mountain trails you just give me a call, bruh

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

loved playing sports and still do...anytime you want to step on a basketball court, soccer field, swim across a large body of water or go spend a day running mountain trails you just give me a call, bruh

But no foosball, huh?

eta: Mountains, we going elk hunting? If so, I'm in-but no running.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3

I've got mixed feelings about this.  Healthwise, it's not a bad idea.  It's risky to subject a child's bones to the contact of football.  A kid's shoulder girdle isn't even fully developed until 12.  However, if youth leagues, and even middle and high schools for that matter, had coaches who knew what they were doing, a lot of the injuries in football would be reduced. 

45 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

But no foosball, huh?

eta: Mountains, we going elk hunting? If so, I'm in-but no running.

I'll tell you what...few things would make me happier than to go spend the entire day running some lovely mountain trails and come back to a fresh elk-venison(?) steak dinner, shiner bock and a glass of quality bourbon.  

you provide the prior, I'll provide the latter and let's pick a damn mountain already. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

So touchy about the ad hominem yet you delight in throwing it around.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'll tell you what...few things would make me happier than to go spend the entire day running some lovely mountain trails and come back to a fresh elk-venison(?) steak dinner, shiner bock and a glass of quality bourbon.  

you provide the prior, I'll provide the latter and let's pick a damn mountain already. 

Ill start looking for permit draws soon...

Eta: that sounds like lots of fun. 

Edited by Army of Dad