Watching UNT v Indiana in Houston

Eagle1855

Cursory search, came across the The Deck on Fountainview. Appears they'll be showing our game -- which is great, considering this is a really big weekend in college football.

Anyone been? Going?

I've never been there, but I pass by it frequently enough on the way from my office heading up to Westheimer. "The Deck" is just north of Richmond, on the west side of the street. It looks like a typical open-to-the-outdoors icehouse kind of a place, pretty big. If it's the place I'm thinking of (there's another ice house place on the next block), it was totally renovated about a year ago.

My problem is that Saturday is Yom Kippur, and the game is in the early afternoon. I can't even DVR it and watch it in the evening, because DISH moved the Big 10 network to a Sports package at some point. Sorry, I'm not into ordering a package for a month and then cancelling it - DISH also charges a cancellation fee.

Fuzzy's Pizza has the dish and they'll turn to game if you ask. Watched UNT/SMU their (Westheimer at Fondren). BB's Cafe (Westheimer closer to fountainview-next to House of Pies) has Direct TV and will show game if it's on DTV which it should be. I live around Hwy 6 and Westheimer, Triple Crown will show game, but limited food so probably will watch at one of the above locations with a friend.

Fuzzy's Pizza has the dish and they'll turn to game if you ask. Watched UNT/SMU their (Westheimer at Fondren). BB's Cafe (Westheimer closer to fountainview-next to House of Pies) has Direct TV and will show game if it's on DTV which it should be. I live around Hwy 6 and Westheimer, Triple Crown will show game, but limited food so probably will watch at one of the above locations with a friend.

Brought back some memories with House of Pies. Is it still open? May have to stop in there for the Rice game weekend...

The game is at 1:30. Depending on the synagogue you go to, services should be over by 2, with the afternoon service not starting until 6ish. You're good.

I've never been there, but I pass by it frequently enough on the way from my office heading up to Westheimer. "The Deck" is just north of Richmond, on the west side of the street. It looks like a typical open-to-the-outdoors icehouse kind of a place, pretty big. If it's the place I'm thinking of (there's another ice house place on the next block), it was totally renovated about a year ago.

My problem is that Saturday is Yom Kippur, and the game is in the early afternoon. I can't even DVR it and watch it in the evening, because DISH moved the Big 10 network to a Sports package at some point. Sorry, I'm not into ordering a package for a month and then cancelling it - DISH also charges a cancellation fee.

• Upvote 1

Brought back some memories with House of Pies. Is it still open? May have to stop in there for the Rice game weekend...

Yeah, it recently caught on fire though. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Fire-damaged-House-of-Pies-on-Kirby-suddenly-5373465.php

Also, had a robbery which led to a murder. http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/07/24/12395880/

Other than that, still kickin.

Oh yeah. Still a staple for post-pub pabulum (sorry, I go hard in the paint for alliteration).

To the topic at hand, as of now, our plan is to watch the Indiana game at The Deck. Seems as good a spot of any, especially since cooler weather is expected. Bring on the Dajon.

Yeah, it recently caught on fire though. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Fire-damaged-House-of-Pies-on-Kirby-suddenly-5373465.php

Also, had a robbery which led to a murder. http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/07/24/12395880/

Other than that, still kickin.

Yes, House of Pies is still a destination!

There are two locations - on Kirby inside the loop (the one which had the fire), and on Westheimer a bit west of the Galleria (the one which had the robbery).

There have been a rash of late-night (really early morning) robberies at Dennys, IHOPs, etc this year - robbing the customers as well as the cash register. Sounds like too many criminals have watched Pulp Fiction. I wouldn't go to one after 10 or 11pm, but during the day, no problem. I work off of 59 & Hillcroft (in a building surrounded by a wrought-iron fence), and we go to Lunch at the Dennys there all of the time.

Back to "The Deck" - I don't know if I'll make it on Saturday, but I'll see if I can scout it out in the next day or two.

I went to "The Deck" during lunch today - nice big place inside, and even bigger outside, which is covered. The pictures on their website give a good idea of the place. Inside has a dozen TVs of sizes which look to be from 45" to 65". Then they have the 97" TV on the deck. I saw 4 big chillers which they must use on the deck, although I wouldn't expect they'll be using them on Saturday.

As I was looking around the bartender/waitress came out to greet me, so I was able to verify that they will have our game on. But UT plays at 2:30, so don't expect our game to be on the main screen, and don't expect to have sound. :(

There were about a dozen people there, so they apparently have a regular lunch business. The kitchen was open; I had a grilled chicken sandwich, which took a bit of a while to get to me, but it was hot, juicy, and a decent size. You can check out the menu on the website.

It's on the NW corner of Fountainview & Fairdale (not the place I was thinking of, which is on the SW corner). If you're coming from 59, turn left onto Fairdale, and then turn right into the driveway which leads to the parking lot. It seems to be plenty of parking, but if they had a big crowd, it might not be enough, and you're not going to be able to park on the street.

I'll give it a thumbs-up. I don't know if I'll make it on Saturday, but this could be a good place to meet for other TV games.

http://thedeckonfountainview.com