Weather Saturday? NOAA Shows 30% of showers!

KingDL1

• Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 91. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind around 5 mph.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=184&map.y=71&site=fwd&zmx=1&zmy=1#.VBm9qPmwLYg

Going to the game and Oaktopia Fest right afterwards, I really hope our rain chances don't keep growing...

Oaktopia gates open at 2:00 pm I wonder what that does to our attendance? It can't help I imagine. So possible weather and another major event it Denton for Saturday.

Oaktopia gates open at 2:00 pm I wonder what that does to our attendance? It can't help I imagine. So possible weather and another major event it Denton for Saturday.

There's also the Denton Blues Festival at the same time, but it won't matter. Rarely does anyone go to the earlier portions of festivals. 35 Denton learned this the hard way.

• Upvote 1

There's also the Denton Blues Festival at the same time, but it won't matter. Rarely does anyone go to the earlier portions of festivals. 35 Denton learned this the hard way.

Maybe true of the Oaktopia also? Is Oaktopia new and it is the new and better version of the Fry Street Fair?

Maybe true of the Oaktopia also? Is Oaktopia new and it is the new and better version of the Fry Street Fair?

Nope. Oaktopia is a local fest in its second year with a focus on hip-hop and actually good electronics.

Their name is from a wealth of experiences comprised of venues and bands along the length of Oak Street.

• Upvote 1

Does no one in Denton ever look at a calendar before planning an event? Or is this just yet another example of non support by the Denton community, never to be confused with a REAL college town, but always with hand out to get benefits the major employer in Denton furnishes to the old Nestor's

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Nope. Oaktopia is a local fest in its second year with a focus on hip-hop and actually good electronics.

Oh God. I was considering dropping off the kids in Lewisville after the game then maybe coming back up to hang out in Denton some. Think I'll stick with Square One Cafe in Lewisville with the inevitable hippie chick violin and anti-establishment folk music instead.

Now get off my lawn with that dag nabbed iBook! That's not music! Why, that's...that's electronically induced synaptic injustice! That's what that is! /shakescane

Disclaimer: Even within my own preferred genres of music, it irks me when they overdo the pedals, synth keyboards and break out the laptops. Anything beyond juuust a little bit of that stuff is cheating in my old man eyes.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

Oh God. I was considering dropping off the kids in Lewisville after the game then maybe coming back up to hang out in Denton some. Think I'll stick with Square One Cafe in Lewisville with the inevitable hippie chick violin and anti-establishment folk music instead.

Now get off my lawn with that dag nabbed iBook! That's not music! Why, that's...that's electronically induced synaptic injustice! That's what that is! /shakescane

Disclaimer: Even within my own preferred genres of music, it irks me when they overdo the pedals, synth keyboards and break out the laptops. Anything beyond juuust a little bit of that stuff is cheating in my old man eyes.

What's your stance on calculators?

Does no one in Denton ever look at a calendar before planning an event? Or is this just yet another example of non support by the Denton community, never to be confused with a REAL college town, but always with hand out to get benefits the major employer in Denton furnishes to the old Nestor's

Look bud, I don't care how much you've donated to Athletics or the University as a whole, you are consistently not getting it with your diatribes against Denton.

Oaktopia is something that directly contributes to Denton being a great college town. Let's take a look at another iconic American college town that maybe you could identify with:

Athens, GA.

A quick Google search revealed that over the past couple years, that city has had a dozen festivals taking place during football season weekends and one that was even centered around the rivalry weekend with South Carolina!

And I asked those who run Oaktopia about this as we were all volunteering for Thin Line Film Fest back in February. They actually chose their dates this year to both work for their desired headliners AND be on a football date that was specifically not a conference game or something of the like, just our cupcake battle.

Give it a rest.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 5

Look bud, I don't care how much you've donated to Athletics or the University as a whole, you are consistently not getting it with your diatribes against Denton.

The evidence says he's not really wrong. People in Denton with no ties to UNT don't give a rip about UNT athletics, or anything else UNT-related.

Granted, there are a LOT of people in Denton who attend, or attended UNT, but alot of them don't bother to show up either.

Now now, Tony. That emphasis is just on the headliners.

The other 80% of the fest is the sort of music you'd still like.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet you'd have a blast at The Labb, Banter, Abbey Underground, or Dan's Silverleaf on this Friday or Saturday evenings.

The evidence says he's not really wrong. People in Denton with no ties to UNT don't give a rip about UNT athletics, or anything else UNT-related.

Granted, there are a LOT of people in Denton who attend, or attended UNT, but alot of them don't bother to show up either.

And I don't attend their drum circles. Living and letting live in Denton doesn't seem to be much of a thing. I really, really, really, really don't understand this constant gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over trying to force a bunch of people who are not interested into providing physical and financial support to a sports program.

I invite people all the time to games. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. <-----(Whoa, I could use that sentence for more than one aspect of my life) Those who come usually end up coming again. <-----(Whoa, I could use that sentence for more than one aspect of my life) Those who don't move on with their lives, and we coexist with differing interests. No skin of my teeth, no hair off their backs.

Denton is a great town for me specifically because it's not monolithic. I spend time in Denton even in the off season specifically because I don't have to fit into the vanilla never offend anybody for any reason template that exists everywhere else within a 1,000 mile radius of me.

But bottom line, I most certainly do not let somebody's non-attendance ruin my day or my general athletic program experience. It's a game for God's sake. It's entertainment. Disposable income. Beer, BBQ, coeds. What's not to like? The absence of organic herbal body wash wafting through the air with a hint of free range quinoa?

• Upvote 3

And I don't attend their drum circles. Living and letting live in Denton doesn't seem to be much of a thing. I really, really, really, really don't understand this constant gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over trying to force a bunch of people who are not interested into providing physical and financial support to a sports program.

I invite people all the time to games. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. <-----(Whoa, I could use that sentence for more than one aspect of my life) Those who come usually end up coming again. <-----(Whoa, I could use that sentence for more than one aspect of my life) Those who don't move on with their lives, and we coexist with differing interests. No skin of my teeth, no hair off their backs.

Denton is a great town for me specifically because it's not monolithic. I spend time in Denton even in the off season specifically because I don't have to fit into the vanilla never offend anybody for any reason template that exists everywhere else within a 1,000 mile radius of me.

But bottom line, I most certainly do not let somebody's non-attendance ruin my day or my general athletic program experience. It's a game for God's sake. It's entertainment. Disposable income. Beer, BBQ, coeds. What's not to like? The absence of organic herbal body wash wafting through the air with a hint of free range quinoa?

I agree.

I wish it were different and people cared/enjoyed UNT football more, but they don't. Maybe that changes one day... who knows.

If AD marketing people were doing their job, those people would buy tickets and sell out Apogee. See how easy it is. (sarcasm off for the sarcasm impaired)

• Upvote 1

The weather is a bit better on NOAA

• Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

The weather is a bit better on NOAA

• Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Is that the same rain that was forecast for both the SMU and LaTech games?

• Upvote 1