Hey morons, this is why you need a QB that can throw the forward pass

UNT90

It doesn't matter if DT was slightly better than Greer, or slightly worse, or mediocre. Off the top of my head we have had these guys as QBs under Mac:

Dodson - Roster filler

McNulty - So

Osborn - supposed to be really good but ???

Thompson - starter, had issues with consistency until final year where he played consistently decent-to-good.

Dajon - loaded with talent, lacks 'maturity'

Berglund - talented, but didn't work hard?

Connor Means - FR

Greer - ugh.

Among this group we have some sparks of talent, lots of questions, and zero guys who won the majority of the fan base over with their play. I'd really like to see Mac and Canales put out a quarterback that can do some things. This is Texas where good QBs practically grow on trees. That is the most disappointing thing about this whole year.

You'll have to show me the box scores where he averaged <4 YPA over three games.

That'll be tough. Off the top of my head and checking the stats of one year in which he worked within a much more pass oriented offense, that being under Dodge,.. in 2010 against Clemson, Rice and Army he finished at 4.6 YPA. Against Rice he had 4 attempts for 11 yards.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

DT never struggled like this.

I saw DT pkay his Jr and sr season. He may have lacked some physical tools, but I cant ever remember him being scared. Greer is scared. You cant start a qb that is going to be scared the whole game. Jitters on the first drive...maybe. You cant miss wide open TDs. I think even mini Mac hits those passes.

• Upvote 2

Greer may not be a FBS quarterback but he sure doesn't have "happy feet". My problem with him has been he sits in the pocket when his receivers are covered and seldom attempts to move to give them time to get free.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for taking us up a notch UNT90. Morons are smarter than idiots and imbeciles...right??

If you don't think Greer has happy feet, you aren't watching.

Go back and compare Greer's feet and DW's feet in the pocket. Greer looks like he is trying to stomp a hole in the turf, constanly pumping his feet while standing in the pocket. DW's feet are calm and set.

Greer is the definition of happy feet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mac is walking a fine line with the Dajon situation. DW is more physically gifted and moves this offense much better than Greer or McNulty. He also, by Macs account, has off the field issues that are keeping him from playing time. If Mac ignores these off the field issues it tells the players that, If you have talent then you can pretty much do what you want and you will play. That sends the wrong message to the players. If on the other hand he plays inferior talent at the expense of the record he risks alienating the team and fanbase. Mac is in a situation that has no easy answer.

This board is almost an exact picture of the DD years. When this ground and pound offense is working we are all happy. When we don't have a passing threat, the offense stalls and we want the coaches head on a platter. Remember when Scott Hall started out this offense stalled more often than not because he was not a downfield threat. Once he could pass at an average clip we went on our run. We don't need Payton Manning back there. We need someone who can throw at better than d2 level. And the is where Greer is now. He doesn't get his feet set. He throws off his back foot. He locks in On his receivers and doesn't go through his progressions to find the 2nd or 3rd option. All we need is average to decent back there.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

Greer looks lost.

I wish he'd just snap. Show some anger after a botched play. Something. I did like that about Hall and Thompson: sometimes they really laid into a player if they screwed something up. Greer just puts his head down and looks "woe is me" after every 3-and-out.

But maybe with Greer that'd be a bad thing. I don't know. He is still young.

The fact that Greer has started over Williams for the first three games has already sent the message that if you don't put in (in the coaches opinion) the work required, you can't be expected to start. But equally, when it's abundantly clear that you are better than your competition, and you can get results, it should itself be rewarded.

I highly doubt any of the players will think that they can slack off and expect to start, and even then - William's supposed indiscretions aren't making the DRC front and back pages like the players who stole TVs, or resisted arrest, or were charged with public intoxication while a minor like other players who have started and are starting for this team.

It's an awful double-standard.

If I were Williams, if I didn't start against Nicholls State or Indiana (if he doesn't start next week and Greer is still bad) then I'd seek a release and go to a program that would make use of my skills and talents and allow UNT's program to continue floundering.

The LaTech game was a clinic in how adequate QB play can do wonders. Williams probably could have gone toe-to-toe with Skokol and it would have been an entertaining and enjoyable game, regardless of the result.

The fact that Greer has started over Williams for the first three games has already sent the message that if you don't put in (in the coaches opinion) the work required, you can't be expected to start. But equally, when it's abundantly clear that you are better than your competition, and you can get results, it should itself be rewarded.

I highly doubt any of the players will think that they can slack off and expect to start, and even then - William's supposed indiscretions aren't making the DRC front and back pages like the players who stole TVs, or resisted arrest, or were charged with public intoxication while a minor like other players who have started and are starting for this team.

It's an awful double-standard.

If I were Williams, if I didn't start against Nicholls State or Indiana (if he doesn't start next week and Greer is still bad) then I'd seek a release and go to a program that would make use of my skills and talents and allow UNT's program to continue floundering.

The LaTech game was a clinic in how adequate QB play can do wonders. Williams probably could have gone toe-to-toe with Skokol and it would have been an entertaining and enjoyable game, regardless of the result.

Skokol was much better than adequate.