Wondering....

SSP

I think all you need to say is " you are right. I won't be so absolute about something I am not absolutely sure about. "

As for the original post and the question of leadership... How can you not question leadership?? We have even heard coach Mac question that coming into this past week. But when you say we are wrong to question leadership... And then follow it up with a 'he was just scared and intimidated'. I think that is the foundation of questioning the leadership of said athlete.

I think all you need to say is " you are right. I won't be so absolute about something I am not absolutely sure about. "

As for the original post and the question of leadership... How can you not question leadership?? We have even heard coach Mac question that coming into this past week. But when you say we are wrong to question leadership... And then follow it up with a 'he was just scared and intimidated'. I think that is the foundation of questioning the leadership of said athlete.

That's not what I said at all. I think everything that happened yesterday with our offense is questionable. But claiming that he's a bad leader and he's sucks based on only yesterday's performance- stupid.

Leaders have bad days. I've even heard that they get nervous from time to time, also. I don't know if he's a leader or not.

• Upvote 1

Leaders have bad days. I've even heard that they get nervous from time to time, also. I don't know if he's a leader or not.

I think that all QB's are leaders since the kinda run the offense. I guess I expect my leaders to be slightly more dependable than that. I don't expect perfection. I understand bad days. But what I saw last night was like nothing before. Ever.

I think when the pressure is on is the perfect test of ones leadership abilities.

It is completely ok to say he wasn't a good leader yesterday. Does he get the opportunity to correct it? I am sure he will. But questioning the fortitude and being exemplary from our QB's is completely acceptable, reasonable, and understandable given the mess we saw. It certainly isn't a notion that is stupid or asinine.

Edited by Travis

I don't think any of us expected to win, I sure as hell didn't. But I expected a helluva lot more from the QB position than I saw last night. A helluva lot more. You haven't been here long, so I understand your frustration with the fan base, but we've been here for a while. We've been through the uber conservative Dickey days where game plans in power conference games were openly admitted to be bland and clock burners. We've seen some really inept offenses here and last night was up there with the worst of them. Probably #1 to a lot of us over the last 15 years. NT is supposed to be WELL BEYOND that point, SSP. Mac's 4th year, a HOD win and a decent season last year but we just witnessed something out of DD's last 2 years here. Unacceptable, IMO. I think we all have the right to overreact a little....

But I think we all agree the D looked freakin' solid and the running game was decent. NT can do some damage come conference play with those two things....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Our 2002 and 2004 bowl teams were both shut out by Texas.

So, what are we worried about again? If we can't upset a Big 12 powerhouse, our season is as done as the 2002 and 2004 seasons were?

Guys, look...

...the truth is, we still play in the Sun Belt. Yes, it's now called C-USA, and - for the time being - has better bowl tie-ins. But, except for a couple of schools, we're still playing Sun Belt competition.

Therefore, what are you worried about? We've been down this road before.

Call it what you will, but we are taking steps in the right direction. I think everyone has their panties in a wad, including myself, because we were competitive in that game given the dynamics that took place. We were a QB away from keeping that game competitive. So then people start asking themselves why haven't they recruited better. They have known for the last 3 years that our starting QB is 3 years away from graduation and in that time frame our coaching staff have these guys as our best available option in the entire country to bring in and play QB1 at North Texas?? I think not. It's BS. The QB position is the most important position on a football team. A good one will make your team flourish and a bad one will make your team fall apart. Coaches I would assume are aware of that and in the 3 years recruiting for the departure of DT this is what they bring in.

has anyone considered the psychological effect that qb showing had on the rest of the offense/team? trust is a pillar for cohesion and the qbs don't have the trust of the team anymore. its like a kid watching their dad get beat up badly. after that, they dont feel safe cause dad, the protector, is no longer competent to protect. good luck winning back that locker room for either of those guys.

How many people on here actually thought that we were going to win this game? And what would give you any indication that that would've been a possibility?

It was very obvious that our quarterback was extremely nervous. It's Texas.... Every HS athlete in the state wants to be recruited by Texas. I was intimidated by their Tailgates so I think it's only natural for a JC transfer quarterback who has only been named the starting quarterback for less than a week- show nerves. So enough with the "he's not a leader and he's a pathetic quarterback". That was not the same quarterback that played in the spring game. He did play pathetic but his performance wasn't entirely his fault- The snaps were very low and he didn't have a whole lot of time to read the progressions. That being said- when he did throw the ball, it looked like he had a broken thumb. (I heard multiple people asking if he was hurt in the stands. ). And he stares down his poor receivers. He also made a couple of other really stupid mistakes. Our O

LINE could not hold that defense. Texas' front 4- dear Lord. We won't play a defense that's nearly that good again. (Even at a bowl). I THINK IT'S A GIVEN- we are not At the same caliber of talent as Texas. I was frankly a little perturbed that Texas didn't perform better with getting some of the best recruits in our state (except this year). There were multiple first round draft picks on that field and the starters played the entire game. I thought that spoke volumes about what they thought about us. When you don't play your backup quarterback in a $$$$ game.....

I don't feel like we got blown out even though we clearly did. It was clear that Texas wanted to run up the score as much as possible so it could've been a lot worse with the way that our offense played . There was one touchdown that was pretty much given to them by the officials. 1 was a pick 6.

Our defense- is easily the best defense in our conference. They should give Skladany a raise.

Our offense- I don't think anybody can really say right now. they were clearly shut down last night. But that was inevitable. If anyone wasnt expecting for Charlie Strong to bring a strong defensive team with the level of athletes he has to work with- you're crazy.

I don't know how much anyone can project right now.

I do however think that instead of worrying about this season being in the toilet- A more legitimate concern is how we did last night with injuries and how much do we need to pay Skladany to make sure he stays at North Texas....?

No one expected to win, but we hoped to compete. We didnt compete at all on offense and stopped trying in the second quarter.

I understand being nervous the 1 st series as a QB playing at UT in your first FBS game. I don't understand never recovering from that nervousness to the point of completing as many passes to the other team as to your own receivers. Hopefully you are right and this is a one game thing. I have my doubts.

I also don't think he had a broken thumb or else we would have seen much more of Mini Mac.

Hopefully he rights the ship against SMU. He is gonna see a lot of run blitzes and 8 man fronts. Hope he can hang in the pocket and complete a vertical throw.

One game in and we don't know what to expect from the most important position on the field.