3 UNT media-day storylines to follow: Can UNT build on a breakout seas

Harry

When: Wednesday, July 23

Where: DFW Marriott North

Who: Dan McCarney, LB Derek Akunne, OL Cyril Lemon

North Texas will enter its second season in Conference USA with the goal of proving that last year’s 9-4 season capped by a win over UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl was no fluke.

The Mean Green was flat loaded last season, when several of the better players in recent program history were seniors, including wide receiver Brelan Chancellor, linebacker Zach Orr, safety Marcus Trice, quarterback Derek Thompson and running back Brandin Byrd. Those key players led UNT to its first winning season since 2004 and just the third bowl win in program history. UNT will look to a few key veterans and a host of young players to help the Mean Green continue its rise under McCarney.

Two of those key veterans will represent UNT at media day. Cyril Lemon will start at guard for the fourth straight year and is on the watch lists for the Lombardi and Outland trophies. Akunne is headed into his third year as a starter.

Here are three storylines to keep an eye on when it comes to UNT

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/07/3-unt-media-day-storylines-to-follow-can-unt-build-on-a-breakout-season.html/

Man am I tired of hearing how much personnel we lost and how this team are basically all rookies. I sure hope these Seniors take it personal and lead this team to their back to back bowl game this year! I really think we are in a new era with Coach Mac and this "field of rookies" are going to surprise!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Man am I tired of hearing how much personnel we lost and how this team are basically all rookies. I sure hope these Seniors take it personal and lead this team to their back to back bowl game this year! I really think we are in a new era with Coach Mac and this "field of rookies" are going to surprise!!

Would you like to see how many career starts the currents starters have started compared to last years starters?

• Upvote 3

Would you like to see how many career starts the currents starters have started compared to last years starters?

Respectfully I don't care how many. I believe this team has more depth at each position that we didn't have in the past. These now Seniors might not have started but a good number filled in and supported. Don't forget some of those from last year were new to the scene with not a lot of starts.. Not talking about the obvious Thompson, Chancellor, Orr and Trice. Remember we were extremely concerned about our D-Line last year going into the season.

Back to my point. I realize we lost some good players but I believe in Coach Mac's players and recruiting the type of players for his system. The Seniors now and others like, The Jimmy Show! Lee, Buyers, Whitfield, Jones, the entire O-Line will be awesome! use it for extra motivation guys and see ya in Austin Texas!!

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 2

Experience level in the DL is very different

2013 DL - 46

DE McCoy 20 DT Lincoln 6 DT Boutwell 18 DE Bellazin 2

2014 DL -12

DE Mason 5 DT Lincoln 7 DT Orr -0 DE Dilonga - 0

Only Mason and Linc with any real game experience.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 3

DL will be fine. Speed will compensate for the lack of size. Filling the voids of Wright and Trice will be a more difficult task and we might see the D be exposed in those areas. Trice was very, very good in run support as well. Big scoop and score by Z Orr against Rice, tkl and FF was Trice. Whoever ends up replacing Trice (IMO it will be F Warner) has to have that same tenacity, particularly around the LOS. Wright was an experienced outside backer that would slide out and cover the slot if needed and he was usually a sure tackler almost always and at the very least turned RB's back inside towards trailing defenders. Find quality replacements for those 2 guys and hopefully the rest of the secondary has matured and developed even more and I think we will be OK.The concern for the DL is being overrated on this board. Yes, we are going to be a little inexperienced on the line but let's not act like we have guys that have never played at all. There is some experience and there is even more hunger throughout the DL 2 deep. Also, starting QB has to be established by week 2 of fall camp. It just has to be. Can't nickel and dime the eventual starting QB valuable reps all the way to Aug 30th. GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1