new names on UNT Football roster

Marty

Was looking at the roster & noticed some new names:

AJ Ezzard, RB from Southlake Carroll

Cedric Fernandes, DB from Arlington Martin

Stephen Gehringer, DL from Deer Park & Midwestern State

Cannon Maki, FB from FW All Saints

Anyone have any knowledge on any of these players?

• Upvote 3

Could this be the mysterious #74 that played in the spring game that no one seemed to know anything about?

• Upvote 2

Also, this young man better be pretty special to be on the team instead of Chris Smith, who wore #32 in spring practice. For his size (5'8" X 170) , Chris Smith was very special.

So is Mr. Gehringer going to be eligible to play this fall?

Because I am very happy that we have another overachiever on the team (especially in the DL) but I would be even happier if he lines up against Texas.

I believe so

A few articles on Ezzard :

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/high-school/post/_/id/9252/ezzard-southlake-carroll-dominate-cedar-hill

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/southlake-carroll-news/headlines/20110527-why-southlake-carroll-freshman-rb-a.j.-ezzard-was-one-of-the-stars-in-dragons_spring-game.ece

• Upvote 2

With our depth at running back, something had to give. We were 8 deep at running back, as far as scholarship kids. Jimmerson (JR), Pegram (SR), Rollins (RS SO), Lewis (RS SO), Erick Evans (RS FR), Andrew Tucker (RS FR), Jeffery Wilson (FR), and Willy Ivery (FR). And only one being a senior in Pegram.

Lewis leaving puts a lot of importance on Jeffery Wilson going forward. Our other young backs are all smaller, speed-type guys. Wilson has good speed too, but he is the only one with the size to be constantly running in between the tackles after Pegram and Jimmerson graduate.

I really like Ezzard too. I watched him play a lot in high school and I was pretty surprised watching him not get any offers throughout the process. Very glad he chose to walkon here.

• Upvote 1

With our depth at running back, something had to give. We were 8 deep at running back, as far as scholarship kids. Jimmerson (JR), Pegram (SR), Rollins (RS SO), Lewis (RS SO), Erick Evans (RS FR), Andrew Tucker (RS FR), Jeffery Wilson (FR), and Willy Ivery (FR). And only one being a senior in Pegram.

Lewis leaving puts a lot of importance on Jeffery Wilson going forward. Our other young backs are all smaller, speed-type guys. Wilson has good speed too, but he is the only one with the size to be constantly running in between the tackles after Pegram and Jimmerson graduate.

I really like Ezzard too. I watched him play a lot in high school and I was pretty surprised watching him not get any offers throughout the process. Very glad he chose to walkon here.

Do you see the two incoming guys red-shirting then?

Do you see the two incoming guys red-shirting then?

I think we redshirt Wilson for sure. He's good enough to play right away IMO, but we need him more down the road than this year, because of his size to run in between the tackles. With Pegram still here and Jimmerson, he can use the year to redshirt and get up to speed on the field and in the weightroom, coming from a small 2A school, getting used to D1 ball and college.

Ivery could play this year because of his speed. Again, probably don't need him at running back but if he can give us something we don't have then we may use him as a true freshman. He also could potentially be a guy we try and use to replace Chancellor in the return game. But redshirt is possible for Ivery as well.

• 2 weeks later...

More names have been added to the roster

QB - Josh Cousins

DBs - the Jackson twins

OL - Bo Pullin

DB - Andrew Simmons

TE - Kyle Jaskulske

Andrew Simmons - Farmersville HS

Saw him play many times...played a lot of RB and LBer...Great speed for his size...good size...great character guy...looking forward to what he can do on a much bigger stage with better competition

• Upvote 1

Bo Pullin previous story from BV:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/02/the-story-on-bo-pullin.html/

and previous GMG thread:

another example of us knowing that a great kid was coming, but we somehow lose sight of it on the recruiting thread. Definitely an opportunity to track additional info, just need to figure out the right way to do it. No reason to not consider players like Bo part of the recruiting class similar to players signing a LOI. Who knows, Bo may end up being the star of the class.

Welcome aboard Bo. Glad to have you part of the Mean Green family. Make the most of your opportunity.

Edited by greenit

Also noticed that walkon QB Shanbour not listed. I remember some being pretty high on him based on the Spring game. I hope he was really good, and realized that even better QBs were in front of him.

He was listed earlier this summer and Cousins was not. Now they seem to have switched. I was the one who made most of the comments about Shanbour. But only based on his participation in basic QB drills at the beginning of practice. He had the quickest release I've seen since Steve Ramsey. He also had a very strong arm. He never participated in scrimmages. I suspect he had a leg injury because he just limped through gassers at the end of one scrimmage. Too bad.

Cousins also has a pretty quick release and he is pretty mobile.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1