Brainstorming about fan caravan to El Paso

Well as I mentioned we're planning to meet up with you guys in El Paso on 11/15 and I've been actively trying to recruit other people to come along. I was thinking for whoever is along the same route, we could meet up and either carpool or caravan there, or possibly even charter a bus (or large van) if there are enough of us interested.

So this is where you guys come in...who has ideas? I'll talk to Rob at the Alumni office to see if he has ideas on getting out the word but I've never done something like this before. Is the bus/van idea too much of a liability that would require a ton of insurance? Does anyone know other people out this way that might be interested in driving instead of flying to El Paso? What else do I need to think about and plan for in order to make this work?

overrated-go to the cattleman steakhouse while in el paso (actually fabens).

Coronado High back in 75.

Eddie was a Silver Fox!

Silver Fox for HS

Miner for College (Undergrad)

Bearkat for College (Grad School)

Mean green for work and possibly thinking of going to Ph.D school in a year or another masters.

Edited by Eddie Delgado

Silver Fox for HS

Miner for College (Undergrad)

Bearkat for College (Grad School)

Mean green for work and possibly thinking of going to Ph.D school year or another masters.

your a wise man, especially the thought about getting a degree from UNT. It will wash that orange out of your blood. Eddie is a good guy!

El Paso is a 9+ hour drive away... a lot of it incredible boring.

Sorry I should have reminded everybody that we'll be coming from the other direction. So there's still a good chunk of boring driving but not as much as when you're going from DFW->EP. We'll definitely be driving since there are 5 of us, so the flight would be ~ $1500.00. The total cost of driving, hotel, and game tickets will only be a little more than what 1 airline ticket would be. I figure most people will fly but if you like a nice long drive then it could be fun.

overrated-go to the cattleman steakhouse while in el paso (actually fabens).

Coronado High back in 75.

Eddie was a Silver Fox!

Coronado 94!

Cattlemen's is a blast and great food. The best breakfast is the original Lucy's. My favorite Mexican food is the Riviera.

I just watched a very good documentary on Juarez. I would not advise going there.

Harry is correct. Juarez is dangerous. Very dangerous. I'm telling y'all from experience. It use to be fun. It's awful. Don't go under any circumstance.

I do hope someone will post here to let us know where a UNT tailgate will be. I'll be flying out there because the drive is terrible. It's about an hour and forty five minute flight and between $300 and $400. Well worth the money and time saved. I am recruiting some of my friends to come cheer for UNT at the game in EP. They'll gladly cheer against UTEP. I'm buying their gear for the game.

• Upvote 1

I have a friend whose company does business in Juarez. He stays in El Paso and day trips it to Juarez for work about 4 weeks out of the year. He says that as long as you are smart, stay away from the bars, and GTFO by sundown, violence isn't a problem.

Of course, he is half Hispanic, so he has an advantage.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All this love for the cattleman. None for Billy Crew's.

I like Carnitas Queretara, Albuquerque Tortilla Factory, Rosa's Cantina of Marty Robins fame, but not Los Overpriced Banditos de Carlos and Mickey.

But basically, as long as you avoid the soup kitchens, I mean Chico's, you really can't go wrong in EP.

Billy Crews is good to average. I use to live a couple hundred yards from it. Overpriced. Cattlemen's is the best in EP. There is no BBQ out there that's worthy to the stuff you get in the rest of Texas. Major turn off for me.

You're right. Chico's is terrible. I wouldn't give it to my dog. #1 because I like my dog. #2 I don't want her crapping everywhere.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1