Texas A&M transfer J-Mychal Reese signs with North Texas

He appears to have been suspended in Dec 2013: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/texas-am-dismisses-sophomore-guard-from-basketball-team.html/

He was a sophomore at the time... just thinking out loud, A$M isn't going to allow him to transfer to another B12 school. I'm thinking he may have to sit out in the Fall semester and is eligible to play in the Spring? Not sure about that... it would sure be a huge lift to have him after losing Chris. I have no idea why he was suspended or any of the details. It appears that his dad was an assistant coach at A&M. Very interesting development.

A&M Bio Link

He appears to have been suspended in Dec 2013: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/texas-am-dismisses-sophomore-guard-from-basketball-team.html/

He was a sophomore at the time... just thinking out loud, A$M isn't going to allow him to transfer to another B12 school. I'm thinking he may have to sit out in the Fall semester and is eligible to play in the Spring? Not sure about that... it would sure be a huge lift to have him after losing Chris. I have no idea why he was suspended or any of the details. It appears that his dad was an assistant coach at A&M. Very interesting development.

A&M Bio Link

That's a possibility. That happens in college basketball

This from a Q&A with the Aggie Head Coach after his dismissal:

Q: How much did the J'Mychal Reese dismissal hurt this season?

A: It changed the whole kind of organization of our roster because we were counting on him to play 26 minutes a game, and he was playing really well, had a great spring and a great summer. We really expected him to be a double-figure [scorer] and a key part of our team. When we lost him, we had to reshuffle our lineup in what we could do offensively in transition and even defensively. It hurt us for a lot of reasons because we didn't get another point guard in the spring and summer. Had we known we weren't going to have him, we would have had another guy. Fabyon [Harris'] struggles didn't help. We anticipated him having a better senior year.

Read more: http://www.aggiesports.com/mens_basketball/article_c0508195-620d-5ca2-9820-56b8eee3ea33.html

It seems both father and son were recruited to College Station from Bryan High School...

John Reese has spent the past decade as the head coach at Bryan High in Texas and no one has come calling. But now Reese has become one of the most attractive targets in the country for head coaches putting together staffs and filling positions – and CBSSports.com has learned that he now holds job offers from Texas A&M, Texas Tech and LSU.

Reese is considered one of the top high school coaches in the state. He’s never had a losing season and has gone to the postseason nine of 10 years. But there’s a reason Billy Gillispie, Trent Johnson and Billy Kennedy are all in pursuit of the elder Reese now.

His son, J-Mychal Reese.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/29858563/1

Whatever took place during the season resulted in both being dismissed from the program. Hopefully, the drama between the Reese family and A&M was more of an isolated incident. I certainly understand situations where family comes first. If he comes to Denton, let's just make sure there's not conflict between the Reese family and the Mean Green Family.

It seems both father and son were recruited to College Station from Bryan High School...

John Reese has spent the past decade as the head coach at Bryan High in Texas and no one has come calling. But now Reese has become one of the most attractive targets in the country for head coaches putting together staffs and filling positions and CBSSports.com has learned that he now holds job offers from Texas A&M, Texas Tech and LSU.

Reese is considered one of the top high school coaches in the state. Hes never had a losing season and has gone to the postseason nine of 10 years. But theres a reason Billy Gillispie, Trent Johnson and Billy Kennedy are all in pursuit of the elder Reese now.

His son, J-Mychal Reese.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/29858563/1

Whatever took place during the season resulted in both being dismissed from the program. Hopefully, the drama between the Reese family and A&M was more of an isolated incident. I certainly understand situations where family comes first. If he comes to Denton, let's just make sure there's not conflict between the Reese family and the Mean Green Family.

So John Reece will be our new non-grad grad assistant?

Perfect. I mean, what possibly could go wrong...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We need to keep in mind that this is just a visit, and he could be visiting other places. It does however indicate that Benford realizes putting this critical 3rd year on Eaglin's PG shoulders alone is not going to fly. Eaglin with CJ could have worked.

Great catch. Now we really need to find a big man. I know we are full on scholarships but maybe somebody like Harris will want to stay one more year at juco and we can land a solid big man. Our guard play is going to be fantastic when this young man touches the floor. Believe that!

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2