Todge on the move?

Marty

In the midst of the bowl run, we had a student vote that failed. In the midst of one of the worst runs in collegiate football history, we had a vote that passed.

Next question.

Midst of the bowl run... Not quite. We had a vote in spring 2002, which was before we'd ever finished with even a winning season. One bowl at that point, and it left us with a 5-7 record.

I remember, because I was a student at the time. And if I'd bothered to vote, I would have voted against it, too.

From my perspective at the time (didn't really give a crap about college sports, didn't much care about NT athletics), we had just had a season where the only teams we beat were most but not all of our conference mates, none of whom I'd ever heard of. The "great triumph" was going to a bowl that had never existed before, that our conference (which I'd never really heard of) underwrote financially. And we lost by a lot to another team I only vaguely recognized.

By the time Dickey was fired, well... Here I still am.

If we'd had that vote in Spring of 2004 or 2005 instead of 2002, I think it would have passed. Because that conference run and the bowls and Cobbs & Jamario winning rushing titles... That really did make an imprint on people. I think it's pretty evident, given that the majority of our board membership is STILL primarily Dickey-era alums, with a heavy dose of current students and Fry and/or Corky Nelson era people.

Put another way... We had a vote on a student fee at a point in our history where we hadn't even had a winning Division 1 season in 22 years. And it lost.

After a conference winning streak second only to Boise State, 3 more bowls, a bowl win, 2 national rushing titles, the Baylor upset, and UNTFlyer, a vote passed.

Todd Dodge happened to be coaching (and sucking at it for the 2nd year) at the time. I'd give him an "Attendance" ribbon to pin to his shirt in honor of his contribution, but only if I were able to wipe my ass with it first.

I think midst still means midst. If the vote was after the first bowl but before the other three???

Don't be fooled, when dodge came here he was a very popular and well known coach by the students. That made a difference to the next student vote ( despite his awful winning percentage)

I don't know if the vote would have passed if it had been in year 3 of Dodge, despite the great work done by Flyer and all the other SGA types.

If anything, it survived because the students didnt realize what Dodge was... Yet....

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Edited by UNT90

In the midst of the bowl run, we had a student vote that failed. In the midst of one of the worst runs in collegiate football history, we had a vote that passed.

Next question.

A vote where the AD went hardcore with promotions, propoganda etc (thereby drawing out the entirety of the anti-athletic fringe and their misinformation machine) in 2002...versus a student led initiative where the AD, wisely, stayed on the sidelines. Now this question has been framed truthfully, yes next question.

• Downvote 1

I think midst still means midst. If the vote was after the first bowl but before the other three???

Don't be fooled, when dodge came here he was a very popular and well known coach by the students. That made a difference to the next student vote ( despite his awful winning percentage)

A vote where the AD went hardcore with promotions, propoganda etc (thereby drawing out the entirety of the anti-athletic fringe and their misinformation machine) in 2002...versus a student led initiative where the AD, wisely, stayed on the sidelines. Now this question has been framed truthfully, yes next question.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the summation of these posts...