MGB: Spring game thoughts, individual stats

Brett Vito

By opening up a 2 year starter and returning senior QB's job not only last spring, but continuing the competition into last fall?

And that was a 2 year starter. If you think the hook won't come out early for an ineffective QB this year, I think you are mistaken.

Don't forget, but that returning QB also was replaced as a captain.

I think Greer will start at Texas because he has the most experience. I think we could see DW as soon as SMU if he has a good fall, realizes that his narrow butt needs to hit the weight room, and avoids injury.

I'm hoping for the good of this program that all 3 of these things happen.

By opening up a 2 year starter and returning senior QB's job not only last spring, but continuing the competition into last fall?

And that was a 2 year starter. If you think the hook won't come out early for an ineffective QB this year, I think you are mistaken.

What about midseason though? Once the starter has actually been named and played.

What about midseason though? Once the starter has actually been named and played.

Well there hasn't been a better option to replace the starter. I guess he doesn't believe in replacing the starter just for a change of scenery out there. He doesn't believe in the Cleveland Browns motto of using 20 QBs since 99. DT was the best option at QB the last 3 years and there was nobody better than him on the roster at that position. There was also nobody capable of handing the ball off as gracefully either.

We don't need a difference maker at QB next year to win 9 games again. There is enough offensive weaponry to help turn a mediocre QB into a good QB. Just need the guy that's going to get the ball out quickly, make the correct reads, get us out of few bad plays, not turn the ball over, and the guy that earns the most trust from his teammates. I trust that Harris, Terrell, Kidsy, Jimmerson, Pegram, Evans, the incoming FR, etc will be able to make our QB look good as long he gets them the ball in a timely and accurate manner.

We don't need a difference maker at QB next year to win 9 games again. There is enough offensive weaponry to help turn a mediocre QB into a good QB. Just need the guy that's going to get the ball out quickly, make the correct reads, get us out of few bad plays, not turn the ball over, and the guy that earns the most trust from his teammates.

this. Someone is paying attention. Some fans act like qb play is the main reason we won last year. Defense and special teams. Like the ravens with dilfer and Tampa bay and brad Johnson. The qbs had to be solid and make a few plays here and there, but for the most part, the qb is a manager.

The running game will determine how explosive the offense will be. Not the qb.

Maybe in year or two, the qb will be allowed to make plays, but dont count on it next year. I assume we are recruiting these playmakers for a reason, so maybe we will eventually get there.

Edited by GOMG2013

Let me start off by clarifying that I would much rather win 9 with a bus driver than go 1-11 or 2-10 with a flashy qb/offense. We can keep winning 9 with a bus driver and I'll be happy and appreciative of Mac and crew, and I think we all will. I just fear having a bus driver limits our potential.

In the BCS era, the schools that made BCS bowl games from non-AQ conferences had one major similarity, being a difference maker at qb. Utah had Alex Smith and Brian Johnson, Boise State had Jared Zabransky and Kellen Moore, Hawaii had Colt Brennan, TCU had Andy Dalton, and Northern Illinois had Jordan Lynch.

We're talking about NFL QBs (Smith and Dalton), major NCAA record holders (Brennan, Lynch, and Moore), and at least guys in the mid to upper 20s in TD passes (Zabransky and Johnson). The passing game and qb are the great equalizers of college football IMO.

Again, no complaining if we keep winning. But that, to me, is the risk you run with being a non-P5 committing to the bus-driver type qbs. Also hard to really call it a risk.

• Upvote 1

In the BCS era, the schools that made BCS bowl games from non-AQ conferences had one major similarity, being a difference maker at qb. Utah had Alex Smith and Brian Johnson, Boise State had Jared Zabransky and Kellen Moore, Hawaii had Colt Brennan, TCU had Andy Dalton, and Northern Illinois had Jordan Lynch.

We're talking about NFL QBs (Smith and Dalton), major NCAA record holders (Brennan, Lynch, and Moore), and at least guys in the mid to upper 20s in TD passes (Zabransky and Johnson). The passing game and qb are the great equalizers of college football.

Those bcs busting teams...utah,boise st. Hawaii, and tcu also had 7 to 9 players on thier teams that got drafted. This is not including free agents.

We will need a lot of talent to pull off something as big as busting the bcs. Add a few players that are NFL draft caliber to last years team, and we could have had a shot at busting the bcs.

I get what you are saying and I am not knocking DT as a qb. Even with a change in philosophy, you still will have to surround the qb with talent. Our personell did not fit a passing offense. Too slow.

We need an upgrade across the board as far as passing offense skills. Give DT a 6'3 wr that runs 4.4 and you can probably add 1000 yards to his total.

Looks like we may be headed in the direction of more passing with our recruits this year, but it would still take a year or more to get the depth we needed to consistiently run a different offense.

Those bcs busting teams...utah,boise st. Hawaii, and tcu also had 7 to 9 players on thier teams that got drafted. This is not including free agents.

We will need a lot of talent to pull off something as big as busting the bcs. Add a few players that are NFL draft caliber to last years team, and we could have had a shot at busting the bcs.

I get what you are saying and I am not knocking DT as a qb. Even with a change in philosophy, you still will have to surround the qb with talent. Our personell did not fit a passing offense. Too slow.

We need an upgrade across the board as far as passing offense skills. Give DT a 6'3 wr that runs 4.4 and you can probably add 1000 yards to his total.

Looks like we may be headed in the direction of more passing with our recruits this year, but it would still take a year or more to get the depth we needed to consistiently run a different offense.

For sure. And that's why I didn't say we were a non-bus-driver qb away from crashing the BCS last year. I'm not dwelling on the past, but looking at the future with Mac basically showing us that he does want the bus-driver types going forward.

Can they get and develop the talent to have a BCS-busting type season with a bus driver? No one was able to really do it during the BCS era. Doesn't mean we can't. It'll just take a whole lot. Whether or not Mac could accomplish that should not take away from all the good he has done for us and the program.