Before March Madness is fully underway...

JesseMartin

I mentioned this last year and a couple other people seemed interested so I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list here of places/websites/companies/whatever that are doing any sort of bracket challenges. Of course there's the Billion Dollar Bracket on Yahoo!, so are we going to be using Yahoo! Sports this year again? If so I think that automatically enters you into that one.

I haven't seen any others yet, but there were some free ones last year with good prizes so as they pop up I'll add them to this thread. Anybody else?

• Upvote 1

I was leaning the same way, but Florida seems like such an obvious choice that I really want to look closely at possible upsets. So yeah, definitely want to see how the brackets end up. So Quicken Loans is sponsoring the Yahoo! challenge; I believe last year it was laxtonto that set up our GMG one. Are we assuming he'll be doing it again? I haven't seen any others yet but since that's the big one it makes sense that they're promoting it the earliest.

Midwest #2 seed gets a pretty good draw, as Wichita St. will be the #1.

I love the little guy, but Wichita St will be the most vulnerable #1 seed in the tourney.

I mean, yes and no. Wichita State proved last year they aren't an empty suit. I do wonder if they'll be battle tested enough for this run, but I have no question that they can win the whole thing.

I mean, yes and no. Wichita State proved last year they aren't an empty suit. I do wonder if they'll be battle tested enough for this run, but I have no question that they can win the whole thing.

How does this year's Wichita State stack up against those two Butler teams that made the Championship Finals?

How does this year's Wichita State stack up against those two Butler teams that made the Championship Finals?

The 2010 team was 28-4 heading into the tourney on a 20 game win streak. They had two top 50 RPI wins and six top 100 (no bad losses). I don't remember their final ranking before the tournament, but I think it was in the 13-16 range. They received a 5 seed. This was a legit team.

The 2011 team was 22-9 heading into the tournament on a nine game win streak. They had no top 50 RPI wins, but seven top 100. On the negative side, they had three bad losses. They went into the Dance as a 8 seed. On paper, not as strong as the year before, but had almost everyone back from the previous year. Plus Brad Stevens, who if he had stayed in college would have gone down as an all timer IMHO.

This Wichita State team has one top 50 win and ten top 100. This is, again, a very legit team. Especially after what they did last season, where they had Louisville on the ropes with just a few minutes to go. Remember, Louisville trailed most of the game and didn't take the lead for good till under 3 minutes to go. The Shockers easily could be defending national champions right now.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Yes, but no wins over a top 50 RPI. I would wager that the remaining 3 one seeds has at least one (And two of them will probably have multiple. Don't know Florida's schedule, but know the SEC is down this year).

Not saying they won't go to the final four, but if I'm a 2 seed, I want them as the #1 in my region.

Yes, but no wins over a top 50 RPI. I would wager that the remaining 3 one seeds has at least one (And two of them will probably have multiple. Don't know Florida's schedule, but know the SEC is down this year).

Not saying they won't go to the final four, but if I'm a 2 seed, I want them as the #1 in my region.

Point of fact -- St Louis is a top 50 RPI school this season. But yes, all the other potential one seeds have multiple top 50 wins.

Edited by CMJ