Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DRC and Vito honored with State and National Awards


Recommended Posts

The Denton Record-Chronicle has been honored for producing one of the best sports special sections for newspapers of its size nationally in the annual Associated Press Sports Editors contest for work produced in 2017.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2018/04/16/denton-record-chronicle-vito-gamel-honored-apse

http://www.dentonrc.com/news/denton/2018/04/15/record-chronicle-earns-16-awards-2017-coverage

Congrats to Brett and the DRC!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!! And on the hoops board, we have people that say they want him gone and call him stupid names that supposedly sound like Brett Vito. 

BV does a fine job covering us. Maybe if he had some competition for that job, it might make him even better, but for now, its a non-competitive gig. Getting acclaim for doing the work he did this year hopefully makes him feel better for having to sit thru Todd Dodge and Tony Benford teams, while listening to RV's lazy ass for all of those years.

 

 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to go, Vito!

I remember several years ago getting into a verbal sparing match with the editor of the DRC who, at the time, was calling for UNT to drop football altogether. That is when I cancelled my subscription, never again to re-up. Don't blame that on Brett as I believe that was before he arrived on the scene. That left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’ll ask again...why??

He doesn't know sports. His opinion pieces (when there actually is one) are awful. He's not a horrible writer in the sense he can put words and sentences together but there's nothing insightful in his writing. He gets scooped by people on the board 90% of the time. 

When I lived in Bozeman the coverage of the FCS Bobcats was light years ahead. Night and day. 

The only thing I give credit to Vito is he's had to sit through and write about a lot of bad UNT sports and that would wear down anybody. You can only shine up a pig so much. But then again, it would've been nice to have him shine a light on how and why NT sports was so bad. Instead, he wanted to stay in Denton so he just kept writing his bland, beat writer pieces. 

I don't have anything against the guy, but he's a mediocre writer with no background in sports. He writes about NT like someone would write about gardening. It's time for a fresh voice.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, meanrob said:

He doesn't know sports. His opinion pieces (when there actually is one) are awful. He's not a horrible writer in the sense he can put words and sentences together but there's nothing insightful in his writing. He gets scooped by people on the board 90% of the time. 

When I lived in Bozeman the coverage of the FCS Bobcats was light years ahead. Night and day. 

The only thing I give credit to Vito is he's had to sit through and write about a lot of bad UNT sports and that would wear down anybody. You can only shine up a pig so much. But then again, it would've been nice to have him shine a light on how and why NT sports was so bad. Instead, he wanted to stay in Denton so he just kept writing his bland, beat writer pieces. 

I don't have anything against the guy, but he's a mediocre writer with no background in sports. He writes about NT like someone would write about gardening. It's time for a fresh voice.

 

Thank you...I can understand all of those points. I just was wondering why some posters don't care for him. He seems harmless to me and I feel bad for anyone who had to cover the $hitstorm that was UNT Sports for most of tenure at the DRC.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brett does a solid job. Fans of every school complain that the team board's scoop the local paper. This is because the writers actually have to check sources & facts before just posting rumors. They often know things in advance but are told to hold them so as to not burn bridges with their sources.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meanrob said:

He doesn't know sports. His opinion pieces (when there actually is one) are awful. He's not a horrible writer in the sense he can put words and sentences together but there's nothing insightful in his writing. He gets scooped by people on the board 90% of the time. 

When I lived in Bozeman the coverage of the FCS Bobcats was light years ahead. Night and day. 

I feel inspired to follow the Bozeman Daily Chronicle for a year to see what I've been missing out on.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I feel inspired to follow the Bozeman Daily Chronicle for a year to see what I've been missing out on.

IxUZk90.gif

Average Yearly Snowfall

  • Denton, TX: <1"
  • Bozeman, MT: 72"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Thank you...I can understand all of those points. I just was wondering why some posters don't care for him. He seems harmless to me and I feel bad for anyone who had to cover the $hitstorm that was UNT Sports for most of tenure at the DRC.

He uses spell check, and doesn't (obviously) proof his own work.  I don't have a problem with what he writes, and the truth is, he is actually a pretty good dude.  The lack of proofing work and putting it out there is why I gave him the nick name "Bert Frito"

And on another note.  I will never apologize for the impact I have had on student athletes lives at our university while being "fleeced" by the hattiesburg hustler.  I get to sit in pretty awesome spot in a pretty awesome stadium while being "fleeced" and following the vision.  No amount of click baiting by some clown named Jim is going to convince me I made the wrong decision.

You can all got to hell..... I will stay right here in Denton, Texas

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyonthewall said:

He uses spell check, and doesn't (obviously) proof his own work.  I don't have a problem with what he writes, and the truth is, he is actually a pretty good dude.  The lack of proofing work and putting it out there is why I gave him the nick name "Bert Frito"

And on another note.  I will never apologize for the impact I have had on student athletes lives at our university while being "fleeced" by the hattiesburg hustler.  I get to sit in pretty awesome spot in a pretty awesome stadium while being "fleeced" and following the vision.  No amount of click baiting by some clown named Jim is going to convince me I made the wrong decision.

You can all got to hell..... I will stay right here in Denton, Texas

I may be a clown, but my pockets weren’t fleeced by a hustler that was using him to keep his job. There are lots of names you can use for anyone that falls prey to that kind of deal...I’ll let you decide what the best ones are.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Has grown back.  100 fold......especially in the last 18 months.  Make fun all you want.

Agreed.  Again, thank goodness we had you guys and you stuck around.  I would hate to think where we would be today. 

All in good fun! 

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Harry
      February 2018 North Texas Signees
      Tim Faison
      LB
      6'2"
      225
      Tallahassee, Florida (Independence CC)
      Alex Morris
      S
      6'1"
      188
      Humble, Texas (Atascocita HS)
      Thomas Preston III
      OL
      6'4"
      290
      Mesa, Arizona (Scottsdale CC)
      Derrick Shaw
      DT
      6'0"
      260
      Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (Broken Arrow HS)
      Jyaire Shorter
      WR
      6'2"
      215
      Killeen, Texas (Ellison HS)
      December 2017 North Texas Signees
      Jason Bean
      QB
      6'3"
      180
      Mansfield, Texas (Lake Ridge HS)
      Cole Brown
      OL
      6'4"
      250
      Conroe, Texas (Conroe HS)
      Keelan Crosby
      S
      6'1"
      175
      Anna, Texas (Anna HS)
      Kevyon "KD" Davis
      LB
      5'11"
      200
      Ennis, Texas (Ennis HS)
      Jaxon Gibbs
      S
      5'11"
      196
      The Colony, Texas (The Colony HS)
      Jordan Hunt
      LB
      6'2"
      215
      Wylie, Texas (Wylie HS)
      Dayton LeBlanc
      DL
      6'1"
      265
      Lexington, Kentucky (Frederick Douglass HS)
      Kason Martin
      QB
      6'3"
      200
      Manvel, Texas (Manvel HS)
      Darrian McMillan
      DL
      6'2"
      251
      Mobile, Alabama (Butler CC)
      Larry Nixon III
      LB
      6'0"
      210
      North Richland Hills, Texas (Richland HS)
      Austin Ogunmakin
      WR
      6'3"
      179
      Alief, Texas (Hastings HS)
      Tuulau Saafi
      LB
      6'3"
      272
      Euless, Texas (Mt. San Antonio College)
      DeAndre Torrey
      RB
      5'7"
      189
      Gautier, Mississippi (Gulf Coast JC)
      Reggie Williams
      S
      5'10"
      180
      Grand Prairie, Texas (Grand Prairie HS)
    • By Harry
      A school-record seven North Texas teams earned a perfect score for the 2017-18 academic year, according to the Academic Progress Rate report released by the NCAA Wednesday.

      Since the NCAA began reporting APR data in 2005, North Texas has never more than six teams with a perfect score in one academic year.

      Posting a perfect 1,000 for the 2017-18 season were men's golf, women's golf, men's cross country, women's basketball, swimming & diving, tennis and volleyball. For men's and women's golf, women's basketball, and tennis, this was the seconded year in a row to report a perfect single-year score.

      Of the 14 teams sponsored by North Texas, 12 improved their single-year score from the previous year.

      "I'm very proud of our student-athletes for their many records and achievements this year," Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker said. "We take the greatest pride in their academic success which is reflective of the dedication of our student-athletes, coaches and academic staff. Collectively with the support of our donors and fans, we will continue to build champions and prepare leaders."

      In the multiyear APR data, eight UNT teams maintained or improved their score from last year's report. The multiyear scores cover a four-year period beginning in the 2014-15 academic year and ending in 2017-18. The NCAA mandates a four-year aggregate score of 900 as acceptable for each sport. The Mean Green tennis team has maintained a perfect 1,000 multiyear score to lead the way, and earn public recognition by the NCAA for being in the top-10 percent nationally.

      To see how each Mean Green team performed in the APR, find the full report by clicking the link below.  
      https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch
    • By FirefightnRick
      This is the kind of hor$hit WB and the AD Dept has to deal with in regards to the Denton Record Chronicle.
      Our softball team and it’s new coach Rodney DeLong traveled last Friday to College Station and kicked ass.  They went  4-1 overall in the Aggie Classic that included a run-rule curb stomping Saturday of the host and 20th ranked A&M team 10-2, our first win over a ranked team in three seasons. 
      We won 9-0 over UNC and won 8-7 in an extra inning marathon (12) over Cal Baptist Friday evening.  We then run ruled A&M Saturday afternoon then lost by 1 in extra innings (9) Saturday evening to Cal Baptist.
      Then we run ruled Northern Colorado 8-2 Sunday morning.  
      So what do the morons at the DRC put accross the top of the sports page this morning?


      They print a headline teaser across the top of the sports page that UNT Softball “lose in tourneys”.
      No DUMBASSES!!!  North Texas WINS in tourneys!  North Texas outscored their opponents 40-17.  North Texas won Sunday’s game and went 4-1 in the tournament and kicked the crap out of the ranked team.
      And yeah, I know it’s the printed version and not online.  Despite what you may think or say a lot of potential donors/season ticket holders/supporters of NT Athletics still read the print paper.....but that’s completely beside the point here.  It’s the mindset and the negative attitude this paper has always had and always will as long as the Patterson (Ok State Alumni) family runs it.
      North Texas spends a lot of money advertising in that POS rag.  North Texas is Denton’s largest employer.  You’d think the days of the constant little negative jabs and back stabbing would be over?  It’s not. 
      Effing pisses me off man!!!
       
      Rick
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 121 Guests (See full list)

  • Images



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.