Former UT DC Manny Diaz to take DC job at La. Tech

Mean_Green09

An interesting hire on their part. Either he's a good salesman or he has taken a big learning experience with him and will try to revamp his image. It takes balls to get back on that horse again... especially in this type of business with that type of scrutiny under a national spot light for a premiere organization . I have to respect that. Nonetheless until proven... spread the field and let the dual quarterback pick the poison.

That UT defense was one of the worst tackling units you'll ever see....and they played slow and looked confused, to boot. Maybe he'll dumb down the system and will get more time to focus on fundamentals at LaTech. All depends on how much power they give him. If this were DMac hiring Diaz, I wouldn't be concerned b/c you know what kind of parameters DMac is going to set around the DC. I don't have a good feel for Holtz, though---or for what Diaz did in his previous stops to even garner the attention of a Texas in the first place...

That UT defense was one of the worst tackling units you'll ever see....and they played slow and looked confused, to boot. Maybe he'll dumb down the system and will get more time to focus on fundamentals at LaTech. All depends on how much power they give him. If this were DMac hiring Diaz, I wouldn't be concerned b/c you know what kind of parameters DMac is going to set around the DC. I don't have a good feel for Holtz, though---or for what Diaz did in his previous stops to even garner the attention of a Texas in the first place...

I thought Diaz was a great hire when UT first got him. He was a big part of the improvement at Miss. State, making them one of the better SEC teams at the time. I have no idea why he didn't have better success than he did with the talent he had waiting for him at UT.

I have no idea why he didn't have better success than he did with the talent he had waiting for him at UT.

Had little to do with talent. Had everything to do with coaching and making adjustments to what the offense was doing. He got pantsed at BYU, could not adjust, and it got him fired.

• Upvote 1

Yes I believe Mack was a big part of why UT was below their average. Once he got serious UT began to play well. I don't think it was all Diaz's fault at all. Mack was in protection mode after BYU and was gifted the Iowa State win. It still didn't save his job and the UT faithful were ready to get rid of Mack even before the BYU debacle. That was a train wreck down there. I think LA Tech provides Manny a fresh start and he will do well. I am glad we most likely get them in Denton this year because going to Ruston and Hattiesburg in the future will not be a piece of cheesecake.

GMG

As a Tech fan, I like this hire. I think he got thrown under the bus last season at UT

I hope for you guys, that your enthusiasm is correctly placed. But I am honestly not sure I like this hire for LaTech. I am not sure that Coach Holtz is that much better suited than Mack Brown to create the environment for Manny Diaz to be the guy that gets the most out of your players.

Edited by outoftown

In many ways, the 2005 National Title was both a blessing and a curse to UT. It only came about because Vince Young begged Mack Brown to let him run around and make plays instead of just being a quarterback.

After that championship, I think he began to trust the player to police themselves a bit too much. In the end, you had the puzzling situation of great athletes playing bad football.

Can't let the inmates run the asylum, folks. And, I think that seeped into Mack because of Vince's once in a lifetime run.

• Upvote 1

In many ways, the 2005 National Title was both a blessing and a curse to UT. It only came about because Vince Young begged Mack Brown to let him run around and make plays instead of just being a quarterback.

After that championship, I think he began to trust the player to police themselves a bit too much. In the end, you had the puzzling situation of great athletes playing bad football.

Can't let the inmates run the asylum, folks. And, I think that seeped into Mack because of Vince's once in a lifetime run.

I never thought of it that way. Interesting. I'd like to hear a UT fan's take on this.

Poor recruiting/handling of QB position post-2009.

Poor recruiting/handling of OL position.

Dumpster fire/Peyton Place at DC and OC position for several years.

Poor strength and conditioning dept.

No accountability at Bellmont.

The strength and conditioning falls squarely on Jeff Maddog Madden in my opinion.

Yep. Wasn't surprised that Mack was given the door. It was the tossing of DeLoss that surprised me more. I think he really felt invincible after holding the college football world hostage in 2010/2011 with the feinting conference moves and ESPN deal.

Barry Switzer once said about football, "Humility is only a week away." The point, you can never, ever assume you are safe or "there." I think both DeLoss and Mack - and therefore, those around them on and off the field - thought they were "there." It didn't take long after those events in 2010 offseason and 2011 offseason to cruch them both...like a walnut.

You really do have to show up every day. Every day. And, to demand the same thing of everyone every day. Some call it being a hard ass. Others, well, they call it...winning.

Yep. Wasn't surprised that Mack was given the door. It was the tossing of DeLoss that surprised me more. I think he really felt invincible after holding the college football world hostage in 2010/2011 with the feinting conference moves and ESPN deal.

Barry Switzer once said about football, "Humility is only a week away." The point, you can never, ever assume you are safe or "there." I think both DeLoss and Mack - and therefore, those around them on and off the field - thought they were "there." It didn't take long after those events in 2010 offseason and 2011 offseason to cruch them both...like a walnut.

You really do have to show up every day. Every day. And, to demand the same thing of everyone every day. Some call it being a hard ass. Others, well, they call it...winning.

"Tossing of Dodds"? He retired. Why on earth would UT fire the guy who made them so much money it's not even fair?