Teen UNT fan traces Mean Green loyalty to his diaper days

Harry

A bowl game is sure to bring a teams longtime fans out to cheer, but not many of them can claim to have been die-hards since they were in diapers.

Only 17, Ian Campbell already has been in the stands to support the University of North Texas at more than 100 games, including Wednesdays Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Ian moved to Flower Mound from Denver when he was 6 months old, and his father has taken him to every one of the Mean Greens home games since.

Scott Campbell, a 1982 UNT graduate, said his son also attended many away games and two bowl games, including the New Years Day game against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

Eventually, the tradition evolved from Scott Campbell taking Ian and his sister, Emma, to the games to Ian becoming a fan on his own. Emma, 15, is a fan, too, but doesnt share her brothers attendance streak.

Looking back, I realize the moment that I really must have known that I was a big fan was in 2003, Ian said. We played a conference championship game at home. My dad couldnt make it, so I actually convinced a friends dad to take me. That was a big moment because we won the game and stormed the field.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140101-teen-unt-fan-traces-mean-green-loyalty-to-his-diaper-days.ece

Great article...but, I can't believe they did not mention that Ian has also played in the GMG.com flag football game on more than one occasion! And, played mighty well I might add!

Loved seeing this article. Scott and his family are great and loyal members of the Mean Green Nation. In fact, Scott was the guy who egged me on enough to create the GMG.com softball game!

Great article...great young man...great Mean Green family!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think that's a great story, and I love to hear about this young man's passion for UNT.

That said, I look forward to the day when diapers-to-death UNT fanhood is not considered such a strange thing. Nobody would do a story about a 17-year-old UT or A&M fan who had never missed a game, because there are probably hundreds of them.

• Upvote 1

Sometime during the second quarter, Scott Campbell stood up and asked, "Where's Joe Holland ?" I stood up. Scott wished me a happy anniversary (The newspaper had an announcement and short write-up of Brenda and my 35th anniversary). Brenda stood and joined me and Scott asked everyone to congratulate us (Brenda is the one that should be congratulated or consoled). It was a terrific moment at a terrific event.

Thanks Scott.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

That was pretty cool, Joe....thanks for the kind words.

Brett Vito gets the +1 on that. I don't subscribe to the DRC here in FM, but there are some newspapers you have to hold in your hand.

And his HOD Bowl special section required the purchase (as will today's newspaper).

And there was a good man, Joe (and his gracious and beautiful wife Brenda) staring at me in the Anniversary section.

I thought it was cool that the article said (paraphrasing) that Joe and Brenda would be celebrating their anniversary at the game.

Isn't it great that January 1 is still football season?

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I always enjoy seeing Scott Campbell and my boy know his son Ian. We were looking for them at the game. I cant wait to show Ben the article in the paper. Very cool. Ben has in no way been to that many games but he has been going since he was 4 years old. Oh, did I mention he is 15 and 6 foot 4 at 230 pounds. Freshman at Marcus High school and turning some folks green over there.

Oh, Scott did you see it with the picture on the DMN briefing that they throw at my house for free? I have a copy if you need one.

Edited by shutter
  • Upvote 1