Great coaching right now

SouthBendGreen

We have 4th down on their 40. Play clock running out and we call timeout. WHY!!!!?? Take the penalty. 5 yards there doesn't matter. And then macek boots it 10yds into the ends endzone. But hey we saved those 5 yards.

And after one possession with a hobbled Thompson is also terrible. If he is like this all game he has to be pulled. If not unlv can key even more on the run and our pass playbook is limited because he can't move. And he already isn't accurate now he'll be less accurate and worried abt the knee.

I hope in two hours I have to eat crow. But terrible coaching right now

Let be known i love Mac.

Edited by SouthBendGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's been atrocious, there's no debating it. My only positive feeling is that we've dropped INTs, committed costly penalties on top of one another, can't run on an awful run D, and literally coached ourselves out of a TD..... and we're still somehow tied.

Get things even a little right in the second half and we should be ok... Though it's a shame that's an issue.

So you think wasting a timeout at their 40 to save 5 yards when on the next play the punt was 10yds into the endzone was smart?

Also now second drive with a hobbled knee and Thompson didn't look good.

But hey, I'm way off the mark.

If you only have 10 on the field then it's a good call. Rather have a punt into the end zone than a blocked punt.

The big issue I see is not coaching but the players. We've dropped several interceptions and the oline can't get a block. I will complain about the "icing the kicker" timeout right before the half. Icing kickers doesn't work and it may have cost us a block kick and touchdown ... assuming UNLV blockers didn't stop when they heard the whistle.

Why the F do you call a timeout when they're lining up fir a 50 yard field goal???!!! The only people who are helped by that are the people getting their protections right.

Part II of that... why not have someone deep to attempt a return if the attempt is short... worked for Auburn when they defeated Alabama and for Chicago's Hester a few years ago. ...

We have 4th down on their 40. Play clock running out and we call timeout. WHY!!!!?? Take the penalty. 5 yards there doesn't matter. And then macek boots it 10yds into the ends endzone. But hey we saved those 5 yards.

And after one possession with a hobbled Thompson is also terrible. If he is like this all game he has to be pulled. If not unlv can key even more on the run and our pass playbook is limited because he can't move. And he already isn't accurate now he'll be less accurate and worried abt the knee.

Let be known i love Mac.

Yep. This "Terrible Coaching" led to a 22-point Bowl Win. One which Todd Dodge NEVER even got a sniff at. Doesn't anyone recognize that we're MAINLY a Second Half Team?

• Upvote 2

Let be known i love Mac.

i think that was the FG unit on the field at that point, but they didnt have a holder on the field... then after the TO Mac decided to just punt it

• Upvote 1