Getting tired of DFW Media

UNTeagle88

63 Degrees On New Years Day! (per WBAP a minute ago)

Yes, I'm a broken record on this thought but 1 winning season in a decade in this market will not get this DFW sports media's attention. Hate to say it, but we still have to earn it with more sustained success. Even this morning the WBAP sports guy read a list of upcoming bowls leaving our's off. Our fans can change that if they will by showing up en mass but I would never bet a pay check on that being a sure thing. We all want everyone to feel about this program as we do but they will not until we beat a few big schools but more important............win, win, win!

At times we do it backwards at UNT; that is, we seem to build our roof first before we actually pour a solid foundation which includes a massive number of season ticket sales, better customer service skills shown to the longtime regulars along with a real promotions program; that is, the kind whereas we see every Game Day the Apogee Stadium parking lot over-flowing with school buses filled with kids who would sit in the Wing Zone and become our own unique knothole gang. Get em' while their young?

This is Dallas Cowboys Country....every month of the year. If Jerry Jones farts, the entire DFW sports media are there to cover it. UNT, SMU and (yes) TCU are down the line with this media. Worst thing that could happen to SMU and even TCU is if our sleeping giant actually woke up because with our numbers that awakening would be most visible here and well beyond the North Texas Metroplex.

Thus another reason we have to have a string of winning seasons and get a marketing program in place other-wise we will continue to be ignored. SMU's Mustang Mania promotions didn't receive attention its first year based on wins, but on their dramatic attendance rise when they used the Cotton Bowl stadium as their home stadium. Heck, even my dad & I attended an SMU/UH game among 54,000 fans in the Cotton Bow in 1978. Fact is, someone at SMU had to get out among the masses & work hard to get those kind of numbers in that stadium for an SMU football game but the key phrase is....."someone had to get out among the masses."

Yes, in a perfect world, 93,000 would show up for our HOD Bowl game tomorrow, but in the real world where we've still only had our first winning season in quite a while and a not so large regular season tickets base to have started our bowl game ticket sales with, it's anybody's guess as to how many will show tomorrow. All in all, it's in the hands of a fan base who we all hope feel the same as we all do about the Mean Green.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lots of pub this week. Morning news show on Fox just showed the Omni displaying UNT in lights and mentioned we were playing in the HOD bowl. Of course, them that sports genius Lauren Prysbil, wondered why UNLV wasn't being displayed by the Omni. She does say the darndest things...

Again, we have a HUGE amount of alumni in local TV and radio, and they have been doing a great job getting us pub where they can, especially with the crappy opponent that we drew.

• Upvote 1

hires_custom-9407414d6e47cacf19d48fe0f70

Close but still no cigar, Mr. Sunshine, Lollypops & Rainbows.

Problem is and what I have observed for 4 decades is those alums/fans who will be happy with 1 winning season out of forever and never asked for something better have been the main problem at North Texas for just about forever and is why a school like UTSA is now even with us as a program in their Year 3.

We keep giving our "movers & shakers" :hair: pay raises and extended contracts to those who can't get jobs anywhere else.........uh, duh? That would speaks volumes at any other NCAA FBS outpost but at UNT it does not.

Have A Nice Day! :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

I'm Irish so my temp will hit 60 well before the rest of you who are not.

(I see it's getting close to "getting picky time" on GMG.com).

It be foolish to roll into Fair Park tomorrow morning at 8 AM expecting temps in the 60s when it will actually be somewhere in the 30s. At kick-off, we might be lucky and have a temp of 50 degrees. We won't hit the high of the day (in the 60s) until 3:30 in the afternoon. Best thing going is that the winds will be light and coming out of the south.

I am beginning to wonder if some of you people are ever happy? We had our University letters lit up and plastered on the side of the most visible hotel in Downtown Dallas. I guarantee if you asked UNLV they would gladly switch us. Be thankful for the media attention we have received thus far. Those who are griping about the lack of coverage how many of you picked up Denton paper on Sunday??

• Upvote 3

I am beginning to wonder if some of you people are ever happy? We had our University letters lit up and plastered on the side of the most visible hotel in Downtown Dallas. I guarantee if you asked UNLV they would gladly switch us. Be thankful for the media attention we have received thus far. Those who are griping about the lack of coverage how many of you picked up Denton paper on Sunday??

They were complaining the other day because Dale Hansen bumped us for the Cowboys. Give me a break. Delusions of grandeur.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nope, and they never will be. This board can be so pessimistic. It's easier to sit on the sidelines and complain rather than do something.

Couple weeks ago, Landry Locker did a SportsCenter update and mentioned every team in Texas playing in a bowl game. He prefaced it with "bowls with a local interest" so I tweeted him that he left off the most local bowl there is. Later that morning when I heard the SportsCenter update, he mentioned North Texas will be playing in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Mac Engel tweeted a link to his blog this morning about Gary Patterson and TCU. I asked politely for more coverage on a team that actually had a game to play in the Mean Green. What do ya know, he gave North Texas a shout out on 105.3 The Fan this morning.

We don't have to wait for DFW to take notice, we can demand it. Starts tomorrow. I think the haters who predict an attendance of 20K will be pleasantly surprised, but then find something else to complain about.

Strangely this board has been more of a beating the last few weeks than the days of 2 wins and High School Coaches. Don't' get me wrong the ticket issue was lunacy. Personally if I was super pissed about it I would email Rick V and let him have a piece of my mind. You might just affect change that way.

Regardless of your previous mental state, now is the time for some school spirit. Now is the time to ride your unicorns over the rainbow into Fair Park whistling zipity-do-dah out your assholes. Remember after this game all we have left is basketball. Enough said?

• Upvote 3