UNT Friday night recruiting update (more on Greer)

Harry

UNT is in the hunt for — and is currently hosting — a junior college quarterback whose stock appears to be rising quickly.

Josh Greer, a former Arlington standout who signed with UAB out of high school before spending a year at Navarro College, is on his official visit to UNT, his father, Carl Greer, confirmed Friday afternoon.

We mentioned Greer briefly on the blog a few days ago when we ran through UNT’s quarterback situation.

Carl Greer said that his son has visited Florida International. He cancelled a visit to Georgia State.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/unt-friday-recruiting-update.html/

I've been an NCAA college football fan since I was 13 years old (50 years ago) and a reasonably close follower of all things North Texas football for most of the time since August 2-a-days, circa 1973; and what I'm going to say may be one of the most profound things to ever come from this keyboard but it's like this:

You can't ever have enough quality potential D1 QB's because one day your cup runneth over with how many you have in camp and then before you know it----you are down to just 1 or 2. Time to shuffle our 'ships around to make room if this kid is good. (Of course, I was just kiddin' about all that profound business).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm sorry but I hope McNulty never makes a start at qb again, move him to wideout. Means needs a redshirt. DJ will be a freshman or still have a redshirt. Brock doesn't seem to have what the coaches want so he either moves spots or goes fcs. In my mind DJ is the guy and and we need this guy to fight for the 1 spot or become insurance backup. What I'm confused about is if we recruited him so hard and we were not in great shape at qb why didn't we offer him earlier? That's just my 2cents not even worth the 2.

I'm sorry but I hope McNulty never makes a start at qb again, move him to wideout. Means needs a redshirt. DJ will be a freshman or still have a redshirt. Brock doesn't seem to have what the coaches want so he either moves spots or goes fcs. In my mind DJ is the guy and and we need this guy to fight for the 1 spot or become insurance backup. What I'm confused about is if we recruited him so hard and we were not in great shape at qb why didn't we offer him earlier? That's just my 2cents not even worth the 2.

he was injured (broken collarbone) and they probably needed to see how that panned out and what he looked like when he got back

How many QB's does this team need??

Williams, Burglund, McNulty, Gill, Means, now Greer?? 6 QB's on a roster?

I think this is a fair question. Especially considering how few ships we have to give out this go around, and how short we are on D-line.

But as uncertain as our QB situation has been the last couple of years, it is even more uncertain going into next season. And the difference between a good starting QB and a mediocre QB can mean the difference between 4 and 8 wins, or 5 and 9 wins. There is no other single player on the field that you can say that about. If the staff really thinks this guy might be better than what we otherwise will have on campus in the fall, they need to get him here.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a fair question. Especially considering how few ships we have to give out this go around, and how short we are on D-line.

But as uncertain as our QB situation has been the last couple of years, it is even more uncertain going into next season. And the difference between a good starting QB and a mediocre QB can mean the difference between 4 and 8 wins, or 5 and 9 wins. There is no other single player on the field that you can say that about. If the staff really thinks this guy might be better than what we otherwise will have on campus in the fall, they need to get him here.

Agree with the first line.. DT is a mediocre QB and we won 8 games. Defense wins championships... For example, the Cowboys are 1-2 when they score 35+ a game