Smith talks about upcoming UNT visit, other recruiting tidbits

Harry

Northeastern Oklahoma A&M linebacker Akii Smith will headline a group of about a half a dozen junior college prospects who will visit UNT this weekend, just days before the beginning of the midterm signing period on Dec. 18.

Smith took an unofficial visit to UNT in the spring and recently took an official visit to Texas State.

“I’m excited,” Smith said. “North Texas was the first school to offer me. I like that they are in Conference USA and the teams that they play. They are doing well this year. The coaches are great and the facilities are fantastic.”

Smith, who is 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, is a middle linebacker, and can also play on the strong side.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/smith-talks-about-upcoming-unt-visit-other-recruiting-tidbits.html/

This is very good information -- the shocking thing is how few spots we have left to give. Hopefully we will land the linebacker and get a few defensive linemen to close things out.

I have NO issue with having to back in Blake Macek, Kenny Buyers, Kaydon Kirby and you know this Fortenberry kid if he is anything close to his bro he will be a keeper. Aaron Wallace has a tremendous upside but he hasn't played in awhile so he will be rusty. Mac loves Caldwell although we didn't get to see a lot of him this year.

I agree with Vito that the key right now is holding on to what we have and having a good backup plan in case we lose anyone.

This is very good information -- the shocking thing is how few spots we have left to give. Hopefully we will land the linebacker and get a few defensive linemen to close things out.

I have NO issue with having to back in Blake Macek, Kenny Buyers, Kaydon Kirby and you know this Fortenberry kid if he is anything close to his bro he will be a keeper. Aaron Wallace has a tremendous upside but he hasn't played in awhile so he will be rusty. Mac loves Caldwell although we didn't get to see a lot of him this year.

I agree with Vito that the key right now is holding on to what we have and having a good backup plan in case we lose anyone.

Absolutely agree. Two Freshman all-conference players and honorable mention guys like Buyers are absolutely worth it.

And yes, the guys we have committed are key. Especially those receivers who had breakout years like Fonzale Davis and Tee Goree. Those two will likely have the big boys knocking on their door saying come play for a Big 12 team.

• Upvote 1

It gets clearer by the day that Vito reads GMG.

Of course he reads GMG. Brett's a good reporter. Good reporters use every asset that is available to get info. As a police officer, I'm sure you've used or know some one that has used a confidential informant. That's doing the job. Same thing. And he post on this board under his name. Just links to his stories, but I'm sure he reads the other board and all the NT blogs as well.

• Upvote 2

Of course he reads GMG. Brett's a good reporter. Good reporters use every asset that is available to get info. As a police officer, I'm sure you've used or know some one that has used a confidential informant. That's doing the job. Same thing. And he post on this board under his name. Just links to his stories, but I'm sure he reads the other board and all the NT blogs as well.

It wasn't said as a slight.

• Upvote 1

Northeastern Oklahoma A&M linebacker Akii Smith will headline a group of about a half a dozen junior college prospects who will visit UNT this weekend, just days before the beginning of the midterm signing period on Dec. 18.

Smith took an unofficial visit to UNT in the spring and recently took an official visit to Texas State.

“I’m excited,” Smith said. “North Texas was the first school to offer me. I like that they are in Conference USA and the teams that they play. They are doing well this year. The coaches are great and the facilities are fantastic.”

Smith, who is 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, is a middle linebacker, and can also play on the strong side.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/smith-talks-about-upcoming-unt-visit-other-recruiting-tidbits.html/

Let's don't over look this.