Our Offense

meangreanmick

Great thread.

Calimeangreen, Eastwood and meangreen09 all have plus 1s in their future when I get to a comp for basing positions on statistics.

I can't remember a season where our avg margin of victory has ever been this high, I'd have to go to the tape.

The game plans have for the most part been trying to establish something in the first half and adjusting to the situation in the 2nd half. The only exception seemed to be utsa. I think we may have been a little apprehensive/slow in the 3rd qtr to adjust offensively. A lot of times play calls in the 1st half may be to give a look or setup another call out of the same formation later in the game.

Edited by MeanMag

We didn't run the ball any more on first down than we have all year. Our ratio stayed at 65% run 35% pass for the UTSA game. I agree Coach Canales didn't call his best game and I thought he got away from the run on second down too much. We were really heavy on pass percentage in 2nd and 4+ yards to go. Poor executed pass plays turned things into 3rd and longs where we were stuck passing again. It was a day where I thought UNT needed to grind it out and stay patient. I thought we got caught trying to match their passing game. It was just bad all around, poor execution and poor play calling.

Against Tulsa I thought Coach C called a really nice game from the start. He bounced back. I'm interested to see how we handle this time off in prep for our bowl opponent. After both bye weeks this year we have come out really flat.

2nd and 4 is a good situation to throw because the defense has to repect the run. A lot of those pass plays were open and could have been completed. If those plays are converted, then the defense is really off balance. Problem is, we did not convert. Maybe with the windy conditions, they should have adjusted thier game plan.

2nd and 4 is a good situation to throw because the defense has to repect the run. A lot of those pass plays were open and could have been completed. If those plays are converted, then the defense is really off balance. Problem is, we did not convert. Maybe with the windy conditions, they should have adjusted thier game plan.

its a good situation for anything really. 2nd and 4 is what coaches refer to as staying on schedule. The worst thing for a series is to have a negative first down. A low completion percent on first down is very difficult to overcome.

its a good situation for anything really. 2nd and 4 is what coaches refer to as staying on schedule. The worst thing for a series is to have a negative first down. A low completion percent on first down is very difficult to overcome.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse you guys here is our pass percentages in different situations on second down. Also this only up until UTSA scored to make it 21-6 because after that it was pretty much all passing.

Yards 4-6 Pass -> 67%

Yards 7-9 Pass ->75%

Yards 10+ Pass -> 86%

What it was before the UTSA game:

Yards 4-6 Pass -> 37%

Yards 7-9 Pass -> 46%

Yards 10+ Pass -> 63%

Edited by Mean_Green09

We've got a good team. As a teacher, I've found that when the over all quality of the output is very high, the mistakes/flaws become easier to identify.

Our offense was great, which made some of the weaknesses even more painful to watch unfold then ever before.

Someone mentioned it already, but there is some misinformation being spread about our offense. They are getting credit for some points scored by our D.

Nobody's perfect, but I'm not complaining about an 8-4 season which is only 15 points from being 9-1. I'm proud of this football team and coaching staff. (RV too}. WE ARE GOING BOWLING!

Actually we were only 11 points from being 9-1, and only 20 points from being 11-1. Not sure if that means anything other than that we weren't blown out much.

I'm going to ignore most of this thread but I want to say that this "we are x amount from being so and so" isn't valid. We are also 20 points away from being 6-6.

So, you could only find 2 opponents where the margin of victory average was 9 (Ball St and Rice) to try and prove a point?

Because, after all, every other win was a blowout, wasn't it? With the closet being a 15 point win at La Tech.

Think about that for a minute.

Idaho 40-6

MTSU 34-7

La. Tech 28-13

USM 55-14

UTEP 41-7

Tulsa 42-10

Those six games the average margin of victory was 30.5 points per game. Let that sink in for a second. 30.5. So to those that say they were bad competition, well, we beat bad competition, and we beat them badly.

Now for the losses:

Ohio 27 - 21

Georgia 45-21

Tulane 24-21

Piece of Crap in San Antonio 21-13

So with Georgia skewing the totals, it is an average of 10.25 per loss.

Now, throw in those close wins:

Rice 28-16

Balls t 34-27

And you get an average margin of victory of 25.125. Really not that much of a dent.

Now, take out the Georgia loss and our average loss shrinks to 5.66.

About the same numerically, but a huge difference in percentage.

who would have thought we would win 8 games, much less by an average of 25 a game before the season? Pretty incredible year.

Edited by UNT90