Mac just misses the cut for Top 10 COY

Harry

Sadly I think our loss at Tulane may give Johnson the nod.

Only regret I have on this season is that last second field goal loss at Tulane when both our starting offensive tackles were out of the game... If you'd have told me that before the season I wouldn't have believed you.

Sadly I think our loss at Tulane may give Johnson the nod.

Why? Pete Lembo is on the list.

The main reason Curtis Johnson is on this list is because Tulane was so terrible last year. The biggest jumps typically get the COY awards.

But there is still football left to be played. If we win out and play for the conference championship, that puts us another few pegs higher than Tulane.

• Upvote 1

Why? Pete Lembo is on the list.

The main reason Curtis Johnson is on this list is because Tulane was so terrible last year. The biggest jumps typically get the COY awards.

But there is still football left to be played. If we win out and play for the conference championship, that puts us another few pegs higher than Tulane.

I agree. The next few weeks will tell the tale. Mac isn't out of it yet.

Beat put by Tulane and Houston's coach.... What a joke!

Curious why you think that.

Tulane's coach went from 2-10 last season to 6-4. A rather nice coaching job.

And of course I'm biased for my Coog head coach. From 5-7 last year to 7-2 this season with the losses by a total of 8 points and both being decided in the final 2 minutes. As the article noted we lost during the summer our planned starting running back who was pre-season all conference and our starting QB in the 2nd game (which probably turned out better for the team). UNT's coach has done a great job this season, but why is UH's coaching job a joke compared to that? Is it not at least comparable?

And of course I'm biased for my Coog head coach. From 5-7 last year to 7-2 this season with the losses by a total of 8 points and both being decided in the final 2 minutes. As the article noted we lost during the summer our planned starting running back who was pre-season all conference and our starting QB in the 2nd game (which probably turned out better for the team). UNT's coach has done a great job this season, but why is UH's coaching job a joke compared to that? Is it not at least comparable?

Absolutely deserving for the Houston coach Levine. BTW, how do you expect you guys will fare against UCF?? Would love to see the Coogs win that game against the cheaters.

Absolutely deserving for the Houston coach Levine. BTW, how do you expect you guys will fare against UCF?? Would love to see the Coogs win that game against the cheaters.

I'm not a UH fan, but I've got my money on UCF winning 19-14.

You crack me up Colorado. Yes we lost last week 19-14 with 4 chances to win from inside their 10 in the final minute.

We play Louisville this week picked to lose by 16. We've covered the spread, win or loss, every week this year except 1 (beat opening line, but not the final line vs USF). So there's a good chance we'll beat the spread. But our defense struggles more against good QBs than RBs, and Louisville has one of the best QBs in the nation. We'll see if we can continue our streak of 17 straight games gaining at least turnovers. That will play a big role. Honestly, I wouldn't predict a win for UH, but I'd say we can win without it being a surprise.

• Upvote 1

Levine inherited a loaded team and just about took it into the crapper last year. This year he's rightened the ship to what it should have been last year. So are you saying he should be rewarded for having a subpar season last year?

Levine inherited a loaded team and just about took it into the crapper last year. This year he's rightened the ship to what it should have been last year. So are you saying he should be rewarded for having a subpar season last year?

Loaded? We lost the NCAA career leader in pass completions, yards, TDs, etc in Keenum, our backup QB, our top 5 WRs, and 2 of our 3 top RBs. On defense we lost our leading tackler and our sack leader/#3 tackler. That's quite a drop in talent.

But what are we putting on the field this year? Last game, out of our 22 starters, 10 were underclassmen (FR & SO). We started more than twice as many sophomores than seniors (9 sophomores vs 4 Seniors). Our starting QB is a true freshman. Our backup QB who gets playing time many games is a true freshman.

Compare that to UNT. 3 underclassmen starting. 13 starting seniors including a SR QB. 19 upperclassmen.

Side by side starters

SRs - UNT 13 UH 4

Upperclassmen - UNT 19 UH 12

Underclassmen - UNT 3 UH 10

Team Leaders

Passing - UNT SR UH True FR

Rusher - UNT SR UH SO

2nd Rusher - UNT JR UH SO

WR - UNT SR UH SO

2nd WR - UNT SR UH JR

Tackler - UNT SR UH JR

2nd Tackler - UNT JR UH JR

So I would argue that UNT SHOULD have a better season this year than UH based on all of UNT's experience vs all of UH's youth. But UH is having the better season. Imagine how good we'll be next year when all of the team leaders and 18 of 22 starters return.

• Upvote 1

And for the record, I have not said which coach is having the better season. They are both having great seasons. I just don't think it's a joke to say that Levine is having a comparable season to Mac which is what the ranking in the article shows (tied for top 10 vs barely missing top 10). I'm fine with homerism on either side being the difference in each individual deciding which coach is having the better season because it is that close.