Oklahoma (11/11/13)

CMJ

Give me a reason how you find Benford incompetent? I want coaching specifics too. Don't give me this lame crap like o well we had a winning team the year before. I want to know why you think his scheme and the way he coaches is incompetent?

Reactionary coaching (getting mad at players and pulling them, sometimes less than a minute after putting them into the game.)

Having no substitution game plan. This goes along with reactionary coaching. Because when he would emotionally pull a player from the game, he would turn, point to one player, change his mind, point to another player, and send that player in the game.

Complete lack of confidence by the players in the coach. Some on here are a big fan of body language, but conveniently ignore the body language of the players toward the coach on the bench.

Promising better defense and rebounding preseason and delivering the exact opposite. In many cases against inferior competition.

Yelling at Jacob Holman after a missed layup "go up strong! We went over that in practice!" If you don't understand how bad this is, I can't help you.

All this with a shear panicked look on his face.

This was observed from 2 rows behind the home team bench. Those seats are now available if you are interested.

Need more?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You seem to have cited many subjective reasons, UNT90.

I do not believe ANY player lacks confidence in Benford or that him pulling them from a game is him being mad. And how do you know what his panic face looks like?

Also, do you not think out rebounding OU on the road speaks to "promising better rebounding"?

Well, then, everything is subjective to you, isn't it.

So I will default to CMJ's post and we will talk half way through CUSA conference slate.

Reactionary coaching (getting mad at players and pulling them, sometimes less than a minute after putting them into the game.)

Having no substitution game plan. This goes along with reactionary coaching. Because when he would emotionally pull a player from the game, he would turn, point to one player, change his mind, point to another player, and send that player in the game.

Complete lack of confidence by the players in the coach. Some on here are a big fan of body language, but conveniently ignore the body language of the players toward the coach on the bench.

Promising better defense and rebounding preseason and delivering the exact opposite. In many cases against inferior competition.

Yelling at Jacob Holman after a missed layup "go up strong! We went over that in practice!" If you don't understand how bad this is, I can't help you.

This was observed from 2 rows behind the home team bench. Those seats are now available if you are interested.

Need more?

Yes they do need more, at least two more seasons before they are able to see the failure.

The conclusions made from facial expressions is subjective.

Out rebounding OU on the road 39-36 is not.

Well now maybe NT90 was a coach in his previous life so he knows exactly what those facial expressions mean.

Or

Maybe Benford had that look because he just crapped his pants from eating Chipotle and he forgot his Chipotle-a-way.

• Upvote 2

Need more?

Reactionary coaching. I agree

no substitution plan. I agree

Players not executing what they practice. I agree

I did not see reactionary coaching Monday. I did see a substitution plan. I did see execution. I am very concerned about our point guards reckless play and seeming inability to take care of the ball, with the exception of Alzee, who played very well on both ends of the court.

We need to tighten up our turnovers, shoot free throws better, (although 70% at OU was acceptable). It is very important for this team that Gaines and Taylor get healthy, in that order. If we had another effective big in there against OU, it would have helped. It is very hard to win on the road against "better" conference schools. When we cut the lead to four, we were called for fouls immediatly as they entered the front court, and our guys were hammered going back the other way with swallowed whistles. (which gave ou "stops") I have been to many away games and this seems to always happen. It happened to our girls last year at Oklahoma. All of the sudden the lead was back to nine.

I really believe that at our place we had a good chance to win that game with the players we had on the floor. Last years team fell way below expectations. This team could exceed expectations.

• Upvote 2

Something about Chris Jones really bugs me. I can't exactly put my finger on it. He has tons of talent, but something just does not give me confidence. Same last year, but he got hurt and all the other stuff was going on.

I definitely need to see more from him. Time to step up and be the best 1 or 2 on the team. He certainly has the ability.

Something about Chris Jones really bugs me. I can't exactly put my finger on it. He has tons of talent, but something just does not give me confidence. Same last year, but he got hurt and all the other stuff was going on.

I definitely need to see more from him. Time to step up and be the best 1 or 2 on the team. He certainly has the ability.

I know what it is that's bugging you. Its his turnover problem and his lose ball handling. He makes a lot of risky passes and plays with the ball. He is one of those guys that you can love and hate all in the same possession.

Reactionary coaching. I agree

no substitution plan. I agree

Players not executing what they practice. I agree

I did not see reactionary coaching Monday. I did see a substitution plan. I did see execution. I am very concerned about our point guards reckless play and seeming inability to take care of the ball, with the exception of Alzee, who played very well on both ends of the court.

We need to tighten up our turnovers, shoot free throws better, (although 70% at OU was acceptable). It is very important for this team that Gaines and Taylor get healthy, in that order. If we had another effective big in there against OU, it would have helped. It is very hard to win on the road against "better" conference schools. When we cut the lead to four, we were called for fouls immediatly as they entered the front court, and our guys were hammered going back the other way with swallowed whistles. (which gave ou "stops") I have been to many away games and this seems to always happen. It happened to our girls last year at Oklahoma. All of the sudden the lead was back to nine.

I really believe that at our place we had a good chance to win that game with the players we had on the floor. Last years team fell way below expectations. This team could exceed expectations.

Hope you are right and I am wrong.

If I am right and you are wrong, I hope something is done.

Ya I guess your right, but by everybody's standards UNT should have fired Jones after back to back losing seasons. Instead they stuck with him and that turned out okay.

Problem is Trilli left the cupboard bare, Jones did not.

And for reference, OU beat Idaho by only 20. Not sure if they're any good, but it's not much more of a margin.

Edited by Rudy